Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Romney asked about Blacks and the Mormon Church *Video*

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't really care about Blacks and the Mormon Church but I thought it was interesting how Romney handled the questions.  Check his last appearance in the video; he hesitated a long as he searched for the "right" way to answer the question to satisfy the reporter.  He should have been better prepared to answer that question. 

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

George Romney is not the same man as Mitt Romney. You cannot attribute George Romney's accomplishments with Mitt Romney. They must be treated as individuals as children often rebel against their parents beliefs.

Quoting Jambo4:

Rooobeee
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I agree. Not every child follows in their parent's footsteps, good or bad. It's possible that Mitt could have been either proud or embarrassed by this photo of his father. We won't know, because I don't think Romney has ever mentioned it. Of course, if Romney wanted to, he could have used this photo to try to obtain the Black vote even if he didn't agree with his father's politics at the time. While I may not agree with many of his politics, I do give him credit for not trying to manipulate the Black vote with this photo. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Quoting -Eilish-:

George Romney is not the same man as Mitt Romney. You cannot attribute George Romney's accomplishments with Mitt Romney. They must be treated as individuals as children often rebel against their parents beliefs.

Quoting Jambo4:

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ugh. MORE fear-mongering and Mormon -bashing? Disgusting.

You want to talk about polygamy? Ok.... but first, let's discuss the

"Down Low".

canofworms

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting JonJon:

RED

Quoting conniejo75:

I do not believe it is right to focus on religion when this is a political race. Everyone can find good and bad in all religion.

I agree.  I sure wish Romney would stop referring to his religion The only time Romney mentions his religion, is when people ask a direct question about mormons/his religion and expect an answer.  Then he is forced to answer, or suffer the consequences of his silence. Your statement makes it sound like he is preaching momonism from the podium. Not true. but I've never heard him say anything bad about it and to his credit I can't recall his saying anything bad about anyone else's religions.

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Red

Quoting JonJon:

Another one who doesn't lose sleep over the truth.

This post isn't about religion; it's about Romney refusing to acknowledge his church once excluded blacks from joining,about how he couldn't say that's all changed and quote how many blacks have been accepted into the church. Why should he give statistics?  If you want to know, research it. I'm sure if he knew any black Mormons he'd have said so. No, he isn't going to list names. I recently went to visitors day at a temple, and saw many black people in attendance.  You are questioning Mitt's relationship to the history of a religion, that did not accept black's in the past.  But do you question Obama's relationship and influence from his own communist parents?  I doubt you care.  It's about how Mitt did not immediately say he believed the whole Bible or instead saying something about how the Bible is ancient and that it includes practices that are not currently condoned by today's society that he doesn't advocate such as stoning people to death or polygamy. Wow, he took about 1 second to gather his thoughts, so as not to make a zinger that dems were waiting for, and you still question him.  You probably know, the bible is a very hot topic, with people accepting and not accepting many parts of it.  You couldn't get Obama to say anything much different than Romney.  

It's a post about how Mitt practices avoidance and is willing to refer to his religion but when others ask about it, he acts uncomfortable and uncertain. Again, as many times as I've heard him, I havne't heard him mention his religion unless he was asked a question.  He is not uncomforatable or uncertain, just cautious about how things could get twisted by the left.  Perfectly understandable.  You are really looking for something devious, that just isn't there JonJon.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

The only reason she is focusing on religion because it is Romney. Biden is a practicing catholic. But, he supports abortion. I won't hold my breath for a clip on Biden.

Quoting conniejo75:

I do not believe it is right to focus on religion when this is a political race. Everyone can find good and bad in all religion.

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Such as Obama from Rev. Wright?

Quoting -Eilish-:

I hope you're right, but alas - history proves that presidents often seek council from unauthorized sources.

Quoting godotherightthi:

Mormon theology believes in something called stewardship.  A mormon president would not seek cousel from church leaders, because he (or she) would have stewardship over the country and would be entitled to direct revelation (through prayer and the holy spirit) as the leader of the United States. 

Just like I'm the only one entitled to hear of God's will for myself and my family - not my neighbor or their family.  I wouldn't go to my Bishop or Stake President for direction, I can get the answer myself.

Quoting -Eilish-:

Actually what should bother people is when he says that he would seek Providence in his decision making. Since Mormons believe that they have a living prophet with direct contact to God, and Mitt once held high positions in his church, I (as a Christian) would be concerned that he would be consulting his church president (their prophet) for decisions related to national policy. If you would be offended by a Muslim president seeking advice from his Imam, then this should be offensive to you.

conniejo75
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Since you seem sincere in your questions I will answer them... I will not respond to any other hateful comments that others have.
1. I was born and raised into a Mormon family... in CA mostly but I also lived in UT and AZ for parts of my adult life.
2. I was Mormon until about 2 yrs ago technically but had not been to church in about 10yrs. I am 38
3. I only remember a handful of black members /families... but I will say they have always been allowed to be members but we're not allowed to hold priesthood or go to temple. I do not understand a lot of what happened. But I will say all of US history has things we are not proud of when it comes to treatment of different races. Also I think a lot of blacks still feel the church won't allow them in even though they stopped all limitations about 30 yrs ago.
4. I left for various reasons but main one being the church's involvement with same sex marriage bans. I know a lot of Christians feel same sex marriage is wrong but I felt strongly I could not be part of a religion that was so outspoken about it. I am also bi and at the time I was dating a woman. Again I do not judge anyone who has those beliefs but I made this choice to stand by MY beliefs.
5. It is a twist on the previous beliefs. The church believes EVERYONE has a spirit and can be "saved" by baptism just like other Christians. There is no such thing as "bad" spirits being born to other races. As for polygamy... yes it was a means to bring more of God's children into faithful families. But most religions believe parents are responsible to raise their children in their faith. Also when Mormons were being persecuted and ran out of states.. that is what led them to UT... a lot of men died and women were left without husbands. Due tothis, worthy men were allowed to take on additional wives (and their children). Back then women were dependent on men. It was not like the cults forcing teens to be married off. To be honest I have no issue with polygamy when consenting adults.

Quoting JonJon:

How exciting to have an ex-Mormon participating.  I almost called you bunny because your sn looks like conejo which is Spanish for rabbit, Connie Jo.

May I please ask some questions? 

1)  Where did you live as a practicing Mormon?

2)  How many years were you a Mormon?

3)  How many black Mormons were in your congregation or whatever the group at your temple was called

4)  Why did you leave?

5)  NW's statement is propaganda will you please make corrections to it? 

6)  There's no truth in what she wrote, at all?

Quoting conniejo75:

Polygamy. Yes... it was practiced by other religions too and still is in other countries.
The rest is propaganda. ETA:

I am an "ex" Mormon as well but I don't bash anyone's religion.

Quoting norwgnwood:

It didn't just exclude blacks. Mormons believe(d) in polygamy because heaven has all these souls that need bodies therefore it was important to have as many babies a possible. Good souls go to white people and bad souls go to black people. The is what a former Mormon friend told me while discussing the religion.

Quoting JonJon:

Another one who doesn't lose sleep over the truth.

This post isn't about religion; it's about Romney refusing to acknowledge his church once excluded blacks from joining,about how he couldn't say that's all changed and quote how many blacks have been accepted into the church.  I'm sure if he knew any black Mormons he'd have said so.  It's about how Mitt did not immediately say he believed the whole Bible or instead saying something about how the Bible is ancient and that it includes practices that are not currently condoned by today's society that he doesn't advocate such as stoning people to death or polygamy. 

It's a post about how Mitt practices avoidance and is willing to refer to his religion but when others ask about it, he acts uncomfortable and uncertain.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

The only reason she is focusing on religion because it is Romney. Biden is a practicing catholic. But, he supports abortion. I won't hold my breath for a clip on Biden.

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aihendricks86
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM

He didnt say he supported abortion. he doesnt personally believe in it but doesnt think its right to impose his beliefs on others

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Where is the little clips about Biden supporting abortion, even though the Catholic church is against it?

aihendricks86
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Quoting imamomzilla:

"Down Low".

canofworms

aihendricks86
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey. Nice to see u over here. I happen to agree about the morman-bashing. My dads whole family is morman, theyre not bad people, I just dont believe it. I think you can take any religion and make it bad. The same goes for Muslims. They're religion is really beautiful and loving, people take it out of context and make it evil. You can do the same thing with the holy bible. BTW, did u know that muslims believe in Jesus and they believe in the Holy bible?

Quoting imamomzilla:

"Down Low".

canofworms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)