Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney asked about Blacks and the Mormon Church *Video*

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't really care about Blacks and the Mormon Church but I thought it was interesting how Romney handled the questions.  Check his last appearance in the video; he hesitated a long as he searched for the "right" way to answer the question to satisfy the reporter.  He should have been better prepared to answer that question. 

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (51-60):
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Wow I watched this whole video and was appalled.

I am a black woman and my husband is white.We have two amazing kids and have been married almost 14 years and counting.

I have heard that the mormon church had very racist views on blacks at one time.Luckily I have 2 great friends who have shown me mega love over the years and are not racist in any way.

I have even gone to mormon services and mormon elders have came to my home and we have prayed together.

I understand Romney is strong within his faith.Just as long as I dont see him with a white cone hat sporting a kkk t-shirt or wearing a swastika on his jacket im cool.

But vote for him...Hell Noooooo...even more so Noooo now...lol...

~Tia

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM

ESPECIALLY since he attended for 20 years.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

So, Obama attending the church for 20 years means he agreed with Wright?

Quoting -Eilish-:

Ummm ... not the same. If a person is overtly offended by tenants of a religious organization, or the speech of the pastor, AND THEY DISAGREE then they should not attend or be a member of that religious organization. If however they agree OR are at least not offended by the message, then there is at least tacit approval of that message.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Just as you can't blame Mitt for what his church used to believe or for the magic fairy dust that some are sprinkling around now. Same as Obama attending a hateful church for 20 years.

Quoting -Eilish-:

George Romney is not the same man as Mitt Romney. You cannot attribute George Romney's accomplishments with Mitt Romney. They must be treated as individuals as children often rebel against their parents beliefs.

Quoting Jambo4:

Taterstots3
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting -Eilish-:

Actually what should bother people is when he says that he would seek Providence in his decision making. Since Mormons believe that they have a living prophet with direct contact to God, and Mitt once held high positions in his church, I (as a Christian) would be concerned that he would be consulting his church president (their prophet) for decisions related to national policy. If you would be offended by a Muslim president seeking advice from his Imam, then this should be offensive to you.

There was a show on the presidents on TLC or discover I while back....it had interviews with a few presidents that had consulted with the current prophet at that time of the LDS church....i'm pretty sure Nixon was one., & there were a couple others....anyway I can't remember exactly but if Romney does consult with the prophet he won't be the first president to do so.....& by the way the prophet would always respond to the presidents in the same way....I think you should pray about what to do...it is your decision to make or something to that effect from what I can remember from the show. I can promise you its really not something you should worry about.
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Quoting Taterstots3:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Actually what should bother people is when he says that he would seek Providence in his decision making. Since Mormons believe that they have a living prophet with direct contact to God, and Mitt once held high positions in his church, I (as a Christian) would be concerned that he would be consulting his church president (their prophet) for decisions related to national policy. If you would be offended by a Muslim president seeking advice from his Imam, then this should be offensive to you.

There was a show on the presidents on TLC or discover I while back....it had interviews with a few presidents that had consulted with the current prophet at that time of the LDS church....i'm pretty sure Nixon was one., & there were a couple others....anyway I can't remember exactly but if Romney does consult with the prophet he won't be the first president to do so.....& by the way the prophet would always respond to the presidents in the same way....I think you should pray about what to do...it is your decision to make or something to that effect from what I can remember from the show. I can promise you its really not something you should worry about.

I don't care how many presidents have "consulted" the "prophet." The President has enough cabinet members for consulting, and if the answer would ALWAYS be "pray about it" then there would be no need to "consult" him to begin with. Your "promise" - which you have no way of guaranteeing, so you shouldn't make the promise to begin with - is worthless to me.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Where is the little clips about Biden supporting abortion, even though the Catholic church is against it?

where are the clips of ryan screaming pro-life but now fighting for exceptions.  Thought that was against what the catholic church teaches too???? 

conniejo75
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot have consulted with leaders of many different churches. Not to be told what to do per say but to get insight on how issues affect different groups within the US.

Quoting Taterstots3:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taterstots3
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting -Eilish-:

wow who peed in your corn flakes? If you are a Christian...exactly what is wrong with seeking Providence in making decisions......seeking Providence for an LDS person does not mean that they are asking the prophet...it means they are asking of God, as in literally getting on their knees & asking God for themself.....as a Christian do you not do this? you are creating drama over something that is not even a concern.....not even something to worry about. Have a wonderful day!
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Save your bull indignation.. like you have ever been anything but a slobbering Obama supporter...lol big smile mini

Quoting MomTiara19:

Wow I watched this whole video and was appalled.

I am a black woman and my husband is white.We have two amazing kids and have been married almost 14 years and counting.

I have heard that the mormon church had very racist views on blacks at one time.Luckily I have 2 great friends who have shown me mega love over the years and are not racist in any way.

I have even gone to mormon services and mormon elders have came to my home and we have prayed together.  Go with what you know... and have seen rather in Real life...than a hit piece

I understand Romney is strong within his faith.Just as long as I dont see him with a white cone hat sporting a kkk t-shirt or wearing a swastika on his jacket im cool.

But vote for him...Hell Noooooo...even more so Noooo now...lol...

~Tia

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Sure... it's a logical thing to do... insight is always a good thing.

Quoting conniejo75:

A lot have consulted with leaders of many different churches. Not to be told what to do per say but to get insight on how issues affect different groups within the US.

Quoting Taterstots3:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Citygirlk
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM
That means nothing. There are a few moms here whos parent were racist and they arent does that mean that they we raised differently?

And i am in way no call mitt a racist.

Quoting Jambo4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN