Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pass a test to Vote.

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 60 Replies
Yesterday, I was talking to my democratic male friend. He said that he feels you should be tested on your governmental knowledge in order to vote.

For instance, you need to know what you stand for, not just simply following the crowd.

He said that if you ask the majority of Americans who the Speaker of the House is, they wouldn't know. Some don't even know who the VP is, or that we have three branches of government.

It goes for both sides liberal and conservative. A lot of us don't know jack shit about what we are voting for.

I'm not sure how I feel about testing voters, but it made me think that people should inform themselves of the platform they support, in addition to studying economics a little, as well as watch some freaking Cspan once and a while, so that you have a grasp on the leadership in this country.

Any thoughts on this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I think it is a good idea. Far too many people, in every party, are clueless idiots. Some really have no idea about anything, and idiots like that voting out us all in danger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandydesiree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM
It's very true. But I'm sure there are people out there that say just because you're an idiot, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to vote.

But it should. If you can't answer a few simple questions like:

Who is the speaker of the house? It's John Beohner, BTW.
Who is secretary of defense? Leon Panetta.
Who is secretary of state? Hiliary Clinton.
Who is the current VP? Joe Biden
How long is a president in office? 4 years
How many branches of government are there? 3...executive, legislative, and judicial
What type of government do we have? Democracy.

These questions aren't hard, and adults who pay any attention at all to politics and government so have no problem answering them.

Quoting rnchelle93:

I think it is a good idea. Far too many people, in every party, are clueless idiots. Some really have no idea about anything, and idiots like that voting out us all in danger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Thought we don't actually have a democracy, its a republic. But I completely agree. Though the first step needs to be a change in the school systems, over half of all high school graduates couldn't pass the citizenship exam, and I personally find that very sad.

Quoting brandydesiree:

It's very true. But I'm sure there are people out there that say just because you're an idiot, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to vote.

How many branches of government are there? 3...executive, legislative, and judicial

These questions aren't hard, and adults who pay any attention at all to politics and government so have no problem answering them.

Quoting rnchelle93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandydesiree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Yes, I agree, but a republic is a type of democracy. We couldn't expect the majority of Americans to know that. LOL

Quoting rnchelle93:

Exactly. Thought we don't actually have a democracy, its a republic. But I completely agree. Though the first step needs to be a change in the school systems, over half of all high school graduates couldn't pass the citizenship exam, and I personally find that very sad.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Quoting rnchelle93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM
2 moms liked this

There's a reason for the electoral college wink mini

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM
7 moms liked this

Pass a test to vote?  I think there should be a test to RUN for a governmental position.  Including drug and alcohol madatory tests after being elected in any and all positions...

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I like this idea.

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

YES!!

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Pass a test to vote?  I think there should be a test to RUN for a governmental position.  Including drug and alcohol madatory tests after being elected in any and all positions...

Voting 3rd party is like dipping your toe in the shallow end of the political pool.

voting

Use your brain and don't waste your vote.

Romney/Ryan 2012.

Because we can't afford 4 more years.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
9 moms liked this

Well, I disagree with it considering it's already been declared unconstitutional and all. :/

nomadbrat83
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
It's unconstitutional but I have definitely felt this way sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)