Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2,000 DEAD people got food stamps

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

2,000 Dead People Got Food Stamps

food stamps

(AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) – New York and Massachusetts are administeringfood stamps to 2,000 dead people, according to Sen. Tom Coburn’s (R-Okla.) catalog of government waste.

The 2012 Waste Book, released earlier this week, documents $4.5 billion in waste in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps.

Among his findings, Coburn said that, “The USDA Inspector General found roughly 2,000 dead people are still receiving food stamps in New York and Massachusetts combined.”

“Additionally, its investigation revealed 7,236 people in these states are receiving duplicate benefits, while 286 are on state lists that should exclude them from receiving food stamps,” the report said, amounting to $1.4 million in unnecessary payments each month, or $147.03 for each recipient, dead or alive.

But the waste in SNAP does not end there, as Coburn found that individuals who smoke marijuana can receive added benefits.

“In three states,” Coburn writes, “some individuals received more food stampbenefits simply because they smoke marijuana.”

Under the section “More money for the marijuana munchies,” the Oklahoma Senator detailed how some states previously offered a deduction for pot smokers.

marijuana

Marijuana cigarettes and marijuana pipe. (AP)

“Marijuana has been linked to an increased appetite, known as getting the ‘munchies,’ so perhaps it is no surprise the states of Maine, New Mexico, and Oregon gave extra food stamp benefits to users of the illegal drug,” the report states.

It continues: “These states allowed some marijuana users to deduct the cost of the drug from their income when determining the amount of the benefits provided for which they are eligible.  In Oregon, the deduction ‘[i]ncluded … fees for obtaining a state-issued medical marijuana card, expenses incurred while cultivating marijuana and the costs of purchasing it from a third-party grower.’”

It is unknown how many people took advantage of the deductions. However, the Department of Agriculture ordered all three states to discontinue their marijuana policies in July.

Coburn further detailed how food stamps are used to buy alcohol, fast food, Starbucks Frappuccinos, and junk food.

Each year, Coburn compiles a list of what he considers the most outrageous examples of government waste.  “Washington priorities are backwards,” he writes.  “This is why important programs go bankrupt while outdated and outlandish projects continue to be funded.”

Yet another glaring example of government waste and inefficiency. It drives me bonkers.

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

THAT IS SO WRONG!! But this is downright disturbing!:

“Marijuana has been linked to an increased appetite, known as getting the ‘munchies,’ so perhaps it is no surprise the states of Maine, New Mexico, and Oregon gave extra food stamp benefits to users of the illegal drug,” the report states.

mommasaint
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, I was shocked to read that! 

Quoting imamomzilla:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

So pot smokers get the munchies so ergo they get more..lol    This is so rediculous..they want to eat more..maybe they need to learn to make their own chips and/or brownies..and stop putting your MJ in your Brownies..it's a double edge sword. This country has become SO "backwards" in it's priorities..

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Wasteful, truly wasteful. 

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Yea, where's the Food Police officer, Michelle O?

Think of all those extra calories, and lazy arses on the couch! LOL

Quoting Ednarooni160:

So pot smokers get the munchies so ergo they get more..lol    This is so rediculous..they want to eat more..maybe they need to learn to make their own chips and/or brownies..and stop putting your MJ in your Brownies..it's a double edge sword. This country has become SO "backwards" in it's priorities..

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you see the post the other day where crazy people were threatening to assassinate poor Romney if he took away their Food Stamps? Disgusting.

Quoting mommasaint:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Citygirlk
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
What the fuck...we need a welfare reform, NOW!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Damn had the dead just sent their death certificates in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasaint
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I must of missed that one. People are sickening.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Did you see the post the other day where crazy people were threatening to assassinate poor Romney if he took away their Food Stamps? Disgusting.

Quoting mommasaint:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN