Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Revenge of the Soccer Moms: Why Are Women Abandoning Obama?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 68 Replies
2 moms liked this

By Molly Ball, The Atlantic | National Journal

Oct 20, 2012

CHANTILLY, Virginia -- Remember the War on Women?

A few months ago, it seemed like the battle for women's votes was one Democrats had decisively won. While (male) Republican politicians talked about transvaginal ultrasounds, legitimate rape and the like, Democrats laughed all the way to the bank. President Obama's steady double-digit leads with women in poll after poll were a major reason he stayed ahead of Mitt Romney for months on end.

Then suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, Obama's edge with women began to melt away. More than any other group, women have accounted for Romney's surge in the polls, which has now given him a slim lead in the national popular vote and in some calculations of the electoral college. Women, it appeared, were not as firmly ensconced in Obama's camp as they had seemed. Indeed, they were abandoning the president en masse.

The evidence that Obama finds himself bleeding women's votes can be seen in how aggressively his campaign has sought to steer the conversation back to women's issues. Campaigning a few miles from here on Friday, Obama stood at a podium flanked by "Women's Health Security" banners; he was introduced by Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood, and spoke against a backdrop of risers filled exclusively with women, holding turquoise "FORWARD." signs.

Meanwhile, the evidence that Romney is desperate to hold on to these voters can be seen in how quickly and defensively he has moved to respond. In a new Romney ad this week, a woman googles the claims Obama has made about Romney's abortion stance, only to find out they're not true. Romney's stated position is that abortion should be allowed in cases of rape and incest and when the woman's life is at stake; he has said he would like to see Roe v. Wade overturned. Already, the Obama campaign -- which has been airing abortion-themed commercials in swing states since June -- is out with another ad responding to Romney's response on the issue.

The recent fluidity of the women's vote, and the renewed struggle it has sparked, raises a question: Why, at this late hour of the campaign, when the vast majority of voters have made up their minds, are so many women still apparently open to changing their minds? Why was their onetime loyalty to Obama so weak? Will the president's forceful new emphasis on women's issues, particularly reproductive issues, bring them back -- or are they gone for good?...

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasaint
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM
23 moms liked this

Because some women are capable of voting with their brains and not their uterus. Some women care to worry about the governments impact on their bank account rather then the governments impact on their vagina. 

Or at least I do :)

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

GREAT ANSWER! :-)

Quoting mommasaint:

Because some women are capable of voting with their brains and not their uterus. Some women care to worry about the governments impact on their bank account rather then the governments impact on their vagina. 

Don't let them buy your vote with a condom. You deserve better!

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM
6 moms liked this

Like others, I am way more worried about my employment and being able to take care of my family. I just don't understand how any one can't see through obama's lies and what he is doing to the U.S.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM
8 moms liked this

Women have been spoon fed crap from the Obama administration and told it tastes like chocolate and has no calories!

Obama's campaign thinks of women as an ignorant voting block that they can manipulate.  It's pretty apparent with all they've tried.   Look at their lame ads they have been running here.  I noticed they have a new one now... same old crap.. different day.

(still doesn't taste like chocolate chocolate)

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

erika9009
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Jambo4:

Women have been spoon fed crap from the Obama administration and told it tastes like chocolate and has no calories!

Obama's campaign thinks of women as a ignorant voting block that they can manipulate.  It's pretty apparent with all they've tried.   Look at their lame ads they have been running here.  I noticed they have a new one now... same old crap.. different day.

(still doesn't taste like chocolate chocolate)

Oh crap, they lied????????????  No wonder I've gone up 2 dress sizes since he took office

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
A-freakin-men! I don't really want the government anywhere near my uterus anyways!

Quoting mommasaint:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommasaint:

Reminds me of those "bumper stickers" people love posting on facebook.. You vote with your lady parts, I will vote with my smart parts.  :)

broncfan
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting mommasaint:

Reminds me of those "bumper stickers" people love posting on facebook.. You vote with your lady parts, I will vote with my smart parts.  :)

Every time I see that "vote with your lady parts" thing on FB, I have to hold my hands to keep from posting something like "DUMB GIRL".

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM

clapping

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe that bringing the emphasis back to "women's issues" such as "reproductive issues" will bring back any women that were lost.  Obviously they have something else on their minds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)