Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you deal with the negativity?

Posted by Michelle Obama on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM
  • 10 Replies
6 moms liked this

jennmarie77 jennmarie77 asked: Negativity is always big around elections-I hate it myself and find it hard to deal with. How do you deal with the negativity?  Do you shield your daughters from it? If not, how do you address it with them?

Hi JennMarie77! Thanks for the question. To be honest, I do my best not to pay attention to the back and forth.  For me, and for Barack, that's not what this is about.

What we both do is talk to real people about their hopes, dreams, struggles and worries.  We talk to them about the issues that are affecting their lives - the quality of their kids' schools, whether they have health care, how they'll be able to pay their bills. 

To us, that's what this election is about - that's what's at stake - and that's what we focus on every day. 

As for our girls - they're normal kids and aren't really paying much attention to any of this. We try to have dinner every day at 6:30 as a family - me, Barack and the girls - and we mostly talk about what's going on in their lives. Usually asking about dad's day is an afterthought for them!

If the negativity is driving you crazy, my friendly advice would be to turn off the TV, and go out there and volunteer. Knock on doors, make phone calls, and ensure your friends, family and neighbors are all going to vote on November 6. 

A note from CafeMom: First Lady, Michelle Obama is answering questions from CafeMom members this week. See all her responses.

by Michelle Obama on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

UpSheRises
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Classy, as usual.

Quoting Jambo4:

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

I'd expect the same from you in a reversal situation. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Classy, as usual.

Quoting Jambo4:
DixieL
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

President Obama, will be re-elected night week.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Why?

Quoting DixieL:

President Obama, will be re-elected night week.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

How do I deal with the negativity. I just have a good cry like the little 4-year old girl about "Bronco Bamma" and "Mitt Rommany".

The election will be over soon. :)

MBorati-Collins
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM

notgonnahappen
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL I guess you haven't seen any of your husbands attack ads then, apparently he is just fine with the negativity!

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Jambo, I can't speak for anybody else.

However, if this was Ms. Romney answering CM member's questions, I would never be so crass as to do something like this.

Quoting Jambo4:

Thank you!

I'd expect the same from you in a reversal situation. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Classy, as usual.

Quoting Jambo4:

trese210
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

YOU ARE A SERIOUS BITCH. HOW IN HEAVENS NAME CAN A WOMAN, A MOM BE FOR THE EVER CHANGING MIND OF ROMNEY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN