Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does my vote really count?

Posted by Michelle Obama on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
  • 4 Replies
4 moms liked this

mamainluv

mamainluv asked: Does my vote really count? 

I'm so glad you asked this! I see you're from Virginia so I'd love to put this in perspective. In 2008, Barack won Virginia by about 235,000 votes. And while that may sound like a lot, when you break that down that's just 100 votes per precinct. That could mean just a couple of votes in a neighborhood, a single vote in an apartment building, somebody in a dorm room who wakes up and votes.

And in North Carolina the margins were even closer. There it broke down to only 5 votes per precinct. So no one should ever think that their vote doesn't matter. Your vote truly could make the difference between moving our country forward and waking up the day after election day and wondering if you could have done more. 

A note from CafeMom: First Lady, Michelle Obama is answering questions from CafeMom members this week. See all her responses.

by Michelle Obama on Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM
3 moms liked this

YES.. my vote counts.. as do other swing state voters... but the rest of the nation?  NOPE

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

g-woman
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

How do you explain the incredible deficit your husband has accumulated during this term in office?  He has tripled the debt and intends to keep spending and taxing?  How to you explain the terrible job numbers when your husband promised so much more? How do you answer the fact that he covered up the Fast and Furious Investigation with his Attorney General that was held in contempt by Congress?  How do you explain the Benghazi massacure that the knew about 3 hours into the 9 hour firefight and did nothing with a carrier and drones right off the coast?  I'm a registered Democrat and will be voting for Romney this year for the sake of my children.

2Birds1Stone
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Not if you don't live somewhere on the electoral map. Just because someone may get more votes such as the popular vote, does not mean a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
2Birds1Stone
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting g-woman:

How do you explain the incredible deficit your husband has accumulated during this term in office?  He has tripled the debt and intends to keep spending and taxing?  How to you explain the terrible job numbers when your husband promised so much more? How do you answer the fact that he covered up the Fast and Furious Investigation with his Attorney General that was held in contempt by Congress?  How do you explain the Benghazi massacure that the knew about 3 hours into the 9 hour firefight and did nothing with a carrier and drones right off the coast?  I'm a registered Democrat and will be voting for Romney this year for the sake of my children.

She won't explain because she can't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN