Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A Note about Hurricane Sandy

Posted by Michelle Obama on Nov. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 112 Replies
28 moms liked this

Dear CafeMoms -

Before I get back to answering all your wonderful questions, I wanted to take a moment to say that Barack and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy. Barack has been working with state and local authorities to cut through red tape and assist with whatever resources and support they need. He’s made this storm his priority and as always, he will do whatever it takes to make sure that the American people are safe and secure.

Moments like this remind us that in times of crisis, we always pull together as one American family.  And I know that we will all do everything we can to help our fellow citizens as they weather this storm and the recovery.  If you’re looking for a way to support storm relief efforts, please consider donating to the American Red Cross at http://my.barackobama.com/Red-Cross

Be safe and well,

Michelle Obama

A note from CafeMom: First Lady, Michelle Obama is answering questions from CafeMom members this week (extended due to our downtime because of Hurricane Sandy!).

See all her responses here, and don't miss her latest post about the importance of getting out the vote.

by Michelle Obama on Nov. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blues_pagan
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM
9 moms liked this

Thank you Mrs. Obama.  I applaud your husbands efforts before the storm even started.  

And thank you even more for giving us a reliable way to donate to the Red Cross.  

itsblissmas
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Thank you to you and President Obama for thinking of those effected and doing what you can to help out. I appreciate it.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM
9 moms liked this

I can attest that the American Red Cross was first on the scene here in southern CT after both Irene and Sandy. They quickly established a Hurricane Relief Center at our local middle school that gave residents immediate access to food, hot showers and shelter.

Red Cross volunteers were there to greet people and direct them to where they needed to go. For me, it was an outlet and hot coffee. For my kids, it was a screening of Madagascar 3. 

Any parent of a five year old can probably attest that the idea of having to cancel Halloween is up there with cancelling Christmas. I faced that dilemma this year, and wasn't looking forward to the inevitable conversation I was going to have to have with my daughter. I was so relieved to receive a text Halloween morning that there would be a Halloween parade at the middle school and to bring along candy. The volunteers coordinated a parade for children from THREE towns to go "trick or treating". The parents stood on the curb of the school's circular driveway with their candy and the kids walked around collecting it. It wasn't going door to door but we rocked out to a DJ (who happened to be a ARC volunteer) after.

I can't sing praises enough for Mike and his rescue dog, Cassie (a certified ARC Volunteer herself) and all they did for our little part of the world when we were left in the dark for nearly a week. 

Sandy made a mess for us in CT, but what that storm did to NY and NJ... it's beyond words. 

jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Thank you Mrs. Obama and President Obama to care for those in need during this difficult time for those affected.

mem82
by Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

thank you

zongomom
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thank you Mr. President and Ms. Obama for your thoughs and prays.

newmommy430
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Thank you Mrs. Obama and President Obama for helping those that were affected by the hurricane.

Autism Cares has some help for those with autism that were affected by the hurricane too.

http://www.autismcares.org/site/c.mqLOIYOBKlF/b.4745901/k.BD21/Home.htm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
Got most of my cooking done for the week. Here's to a successful week!
Yesterday at 5:11 AM
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM
6 moms liked this

moments like this past week make me glad that voted Obama in 2008

tdavis38
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

First Lady Michelle, I myself am happy with President Obama,I can't beieve people think that he would wave a wand and it would all be fixed in 4 years when the last few presidents put us in deep ditches. I'm grateful for you both in honesty,family and health. I know and believe that he is doing his best.People misunderstand him, he doesn't support abortion and gay marriage because he believes in it,but that it is between them and God and I know he has to stay away from that topic for many reasons. My plea to him and you is that you both see Jesus on the issues of this world.All respect,without Him you can't run this country. You need insight,discernment so we can see Supernatural opportunities in this country. Look up Detroit World Outreach(aka DWO) in Redford,Michigan.His name is Bishop Ben Gibert ,you both will never be the same and maybe one day we will see you both!!!!

CityofRosesMama
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
19 moms liked this
I'm not voting for revenge. I'm voting for love of country.

Romney 2012
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)