Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Note about Hurricane Sandy

Dear CafeMoms -

Before I get back to answering all your wonderful questions, I wanted to take a moment to say that Barack and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy. Barack has been working with state and local authorities to cut through red tape and assist with whatever resources and support they need. He’s made this storm his priority and as always, he will do whatever it takes to make sure that the American people are safe and secure.

Moments like this remind us that in times of crisis, we always pull together as one American family.  And I know that we will all do everything we can to help our fellow citizens as they weather this storm and the recovery.  If you’re looking for a way to support storm relief efforts, please consider donating to the American Red Cross at http://my.barackobama.com/Red-Cross

Be safe and well,

Michelle Obama

A note from CafeMom: First Lady, Michelle Obama is answering questions from CafeMom members this week (extended due to our downtime because of Hurricane Sandy!).

See all her responses here, and don't miss her latest post about the importance of getting out the vote.

by Michelle Obama on Nov. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (61-70):
sunshinekid73
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Everyone expected Bush to do it. Why is Obama held to different standards and given second chances??? Stop feeling sorry for him. He's a man like all the presidents before him. He is not special nor should he get special treatment.

Quoting Aliviagr:

Quoting BarriL:

If Obama did nothing what was Romney/Ryan 2012 doing? Campaigning

Wow! Ungrateful I must say!

I guess our Presidents need to be super heroes and be in 20 places @ 1 time and magically place things wherever he can! Aka tanker trucks! We all at some point have gone through what you are going through but don't put others down just b/c you are frusterated! I too was frusterated!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshinekid73
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Because he toured the state, his response was great? He's done nothing! He's still campaigning and not in NJ or NY. The American Red Cross has been doing great things up there, as they always do! Thank you, Red Cross for always being there for us!

Quoting cjsmom1:

Regardless of if we like Obama or not his response to this storm was great. He was working on this before the storm came and after it came he did a lot to help the states that were affected the most. I hope any president we have responds as quickly to a natural disaster ad President Obama did.

sunshinekid73
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Mitt is not president YET but he changed his campaign to a donation drive and gave 30% of his income to charity last year. How much have the Obamas donated to charity? Nobody knows.

Quoting Aliviagr:

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Obama for your help with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy! Thank you Mrs. Obama for posting about Hurricane Sandy and letting fellow Americans know you both care! Please excuse the ignorant comments from ignorant people about the upcoming election. President Obama has done everything morally correct in handing the situation and that shows in true character who our President is and it's a shame that others have to talk nonsense about nothing they know about!

To those Mitt Romney followers: Where was Mitt in the aftermath? Answer: still campaigning

President Obama was handling everything possible before the storm even hit! Not campaigning like Mitt! and what kind of person would want mitt as our leader? Next time a storm hits where would mitt be? In his nice house (you do remember he couldn't provide his tax records) trying to figure out how to cut important funding like FEMA. Mitt has lied, changed his story to many times (just to say things we want to hear to win a vote) for me to even trust a person like that. We all have kids right? Read this article and tell me who really cares about our Country, Children and the Wellness of American Children. http://www.childrenshealthfund.org/blog/president-obama-goes-record-child-poverty

Mitt had NOTHING to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Mrs. Obama didn't respond to the post about Hurricane Sandy to incite political comments or views! And neither am I! I'm just sayin!

Learn when to speak, even my kids know when!

To Ms. "It's not about revenge", so what's it about? Did Mr. President Obama do something to you personally?

billsfan1104
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
He did donate money. He didnt release how much or make a big media deal of it. He quietly donated. He has collected supplies and when the Red Cross bitched about that, he started to ask for funds.

Quoting Aliviagr:

Quoting foreverealty:

Gov Romney told everyone to donate to Red Cross instead of donating to his campaign. He was helping way earlier than Obama did. CNN anchor criticized him for collecting food & clothes etc to Red Cross ahead of time than Obama ever did, hard to please everybody.

Your joking right?

Romney has enough money! That's so sweet of him to tell people to donate to the red cross instead of his campaign/bank account. What about his own personnel donations? No wait I'll just wait for his accountant to release that information. Romney was still campaigning before, during and after the storm. Lmao! Wow! If Romney cared he would've stopped campaigning and physically assisted or at least showed his face like he cared! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I can't believe some of you are turning this post into a political deal... Get over yourself on your stance on political views, right now, and come together in support of those who need everyone most. Mrs. Obama is simply trying to let everyone know, that her husband is doing what he can, at this point, and is that Sandy victims are his priority. 

To Mrs. Obama, thank you for the message. While it's easy to assume Sandy is a big priority, many in our nation need reassurance, and hopefully something like this is easy enough for them to grasp. 

May ever victim of Sandy, from those who lost everything to those who will not be able to physically relive memories, be able to quickly recoupe from the losses and devastation. May those who lost loved ones find comfort and peace in the arms of their family and friends. May we, as a nation, continue to support those devastated by Sandy (and even by Katrina which still has devastation). We are a nation of people. Not just one person, but people. We are many. We are our own army of support, of strength, of donations, and of spirit. No matter what, or who, your believe in, how you pray, meditate, or send energies, it's helping. Never stop. We are a nation of strong people, and we will get through anything. 

Blessed be to all.

xomrs.chase
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, I can't believe how nasty some people are being in this post. Now is not the time to push blame and point fingers.

Thank you Mrs. Obama, and thanks to your husband.
Litlmama87
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I read through this post, can't believe the number of ungrateful, dizzy, misinformed "women."

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Wow, I can't believe how nasty some people are being in this post. Now is not the time to push blame and point fingers.

Thank you Mrs. Obama, and thanks to your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
And i'll be voting for him tomorrow too!

Quoting TurboMom81:

moments like this past week make me glad that voted Obama in 2008

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Sandy did some horrible damage and I honestly don't know how many people are coping with it. One of my aunts lives in Islip and was extremely lucky. Her house was ok, but two blocks away they had over 4 feet of water in their homes. My other aunt and uncle were unable to get to work for a long time and I'm not even sure if my uncle has been able to return to his office in the city. The pictures of people trying to get gas are crazy, I can't imagine sitting there for so long just to get a little gas.

Quoting BarriL:

I honestly don't know what he said or didn't say he was going to do about using reserves in NJ to help LI. All I can tell you is that at 7:15 this morning I was the 125th car in line to get 7 gallons of gas so I could hear my kids' rooms for another 12 hours. And I felt lucky that I wasn't the 300th car and the station didn't run out if gas before I got there.

Whatever help is supposed to be coming our way is not arriving.

Citygirlk
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I really wished they would listen to him here in nj, we didnt have power for days because of politics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)