Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How big a margin would Obama have to win by, before Republicans would admit he has a mandate and work with him?

Posted by   + Show Post

How big a margin would Obama have to win by, before Republicans would admit he has a mandate and work with him?

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM
Quoting jakesmom323:

yes...we got tax raped 54% and feel violated

Off topic, but I want to say that I feel your use of the word "rape" in that context is demeaning to those who have actually been raped.

You consented to pay the taxes set by your legitimately elected representatives.   Remember "no taxation without representation" ?   Well, the reverse also holds.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Quoting jakesmom323:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting jakesmom323:

I'm voting for the boob (Romney)

Ok.

But suppose Obama gets in.

What will you expect your representatives to do, on your behalf?

Compromise?   Or fight Obama tooth and nail?

if Obama wins, the Rebublicans will make his next 4 years miserable.  [...]

what Romney and Repulicans want. Is that too much to ask? Pay your bills? Don't have 4 kids if you can't afford them? Buy your own groceries? Take care of your health so you don't have to go to the doctor? Get educated? Show up for work? Is that too much to ask?

Of course the Repiblicans believe that their stance is the correct one.  That their stance is reasonable, and what is best for America.

But that doesn't mean they should therefore not compromise on it, if it turns out that the electorate doesn't choose to grant them a mandate to enforce their stance upon the country.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM
5 moms liked this

Clairwil, the GOP is supposed to fight for American interests, as is the Democrat Party.  The federal government is intended to be limited and relatively slow.  It is not intended to grow in scope as it has with Obamacare, IMO.  So the GOP did exactly what it should have done in fighting Obamacare.  In fact, Obamacare passed when the majority of Americans opposed it!  That should tell you which party was working in interests of the American people.

What Obama should have done more was to offer things that were interesting to the the GOP and the people they represent, like the movement represented by the Tea Party and others toward fiscal responsibility.  During the debt ceiling negotiations, Obama and the GOP almost reached a deal.  Boehner had built an agreement to Obama's terms and then Obama came back and asked for more concessions. The GOP dropped the deal. Obama lost the negotiation because he changed the terms. 

Whoever wins this election needs to focus on national priorities and listen to the people.  Obama did not his first term, so if he is re-elected and continues like he did the last 4 years, I expect the GOP to continue to fight tooth and nail, for the people, as they should.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM
Quoting Meadowchik:

During the debt ceiling negotiations, Obama and the GOP almost reached a deal.  Boehner had built an agreement to Obama's terms and then Obama came back and asked for more concessions. The GOP dropped the deal. Obama lost the negotiation because he changed the terms.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58937.html

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:05 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Aren't you Canadian or something  ??????

You don't have enough to occupy your mind.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM
4 moms liked this

I do not believe in compromising on the fate of my country.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the video and article link.

Around minute 8 of the video, Woodward points out how Geithner came to Obama and said that if they do not come up with a fiscal debt limit deal, it could trigger a Depression worse than the last one, and considering that, Woodward says, you'd think Obama would have found a way to come to a deal.  He didn't.  Whether he could not or would not, he did not.  Now it's just kicked down the road.  Of course Obama faced opposition, as ANY president would, but he did not get the work done.

Why should we believe Obama could get it done the next term?  There's no reason to believe he can or will, if the last four years is any indication.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Meadowchik:

During the debt ceiling negotiations, Obama and the GOP almost reached a deal.  Boehner had built an agreement to Obama's terms and then Obama came back and asked for more concessions. The GOP dropped the deal. Obama lost the negotiation because he changed the terms.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58937.html

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Republicans will do as theyre already doing, continue ignoring the people if Obama is re-elected. Repubs are like the elementry school kids that never played fair. Theyre so obsessed with squashing Obama & the Dems every move, nothing gets done.

What about all the people who voted for the Republican Congress?  Shouldn't Obama have compromised and worked with them?  The people spoke when the voted for the Republican congress right?  Its a two way street.   Obama was cornated the king, he was elected President and it is job to work with the Senate and Congress.  Crap, they didn't get much done (like pass a budget) when they had the majority.  Says so much.

britniwheeler
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM
3 moms liked this

The term rape is from middle English, rapen, to rape, from Old French raper, to abduct, from Latin rapere, all meaning "to seize". Have you not heard of a rape of justice? The term rape has many meanings, it also is used to describe the residue that is left on a grape after the juice has been extracted. Rape is not only a term used for sexual wrong doing. She used the term correctly. I personally do not find it "demeaning".

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jakesmom323:

yes...we got tax raped 54% and feel violated

Off topic, but I want to say that I feel your use of the word "rape" in that context is demeaning to those who have actually been raped.

You consented to pay the taxes set by your legitimately elected representatives.   Remember "no taxation without representation" ?   Well, the reverse also holds.

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM

except when it's coming from the right.

Quoting tnmomofive:

:YAWNS: So tired of this exaggerated bs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)