Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What does this mean?

SlightlyPerfect
Today at 9:28 AM
Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 30 Replies

"If you did not vote, then you have no right to complain about the state of this country."

What does that mean to you?

slightlyperfect

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Precisely what it means.

If you didn't participate in the voting process, voting for which ever party, then you shouldn't complain.

I don't believe it to be true. Because until the status quo changes in Washington its going to be voting the same side of the coin regardless of affiliation with minor differences.

mnmomusa
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

To me it means if you didn't even try to make your voice heard (whether it's going to matter in your state or not) then you shouldn't really complain about the outcome.

That being said...anyone can complain, this is American, free speech etc.  For me it's important to vote to honor those who fought so hard for my right to vote.  But to each their own.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I get what it means on the surface, but why do people say it? Like you, I think that until the corrosiveness in our political processes is eradicated, we're fucked, so I don't see how not voting negates complaints.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Precisely what it means.

If you didn't participate in the voting process, voting for which ever party, then you shouldn't complain.

I don't believe it to be true. Because until the status quo changes in Washington its going to be voting the same side of the coin regardless of affiliation with minor differences.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

And while I have you here, why don't you like Ayn Rand!??? (Just posted that in the good-bye thread.)

Quoting _Kissy_:

Precisely what it means.

slightlyperfect

smalltownmom03
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Sometimes not voting is making your voice be heard.

Quoting mnmomusa:

To me it means if you didn't even try to make your voice heard (whether it's going to matter in your state or not) then you shouldn't really complain about the outcome.

That being said...anyone can complain, this is American, free speech etc.  For me it's important to vote to honor those who fought so hard for my right to vote.  But to each their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I answered in the other thread

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

And while I have you here, why don't you like Ayn Rand!??? (Just posted that in the good-bye thread.)

Quoting _Kissy_:

Precisely what it means.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

It means exactly what u said.  Don't vote, then don't complain.

mnmomusa
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Sometimes not voting is making your voice be heard.

Quoting mnmomusa:

She asked what it meant tome.  I answered with what it meant to me.  If you have a different opion, like I said, to each their own.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

When you vote, you're doing your part to try and make our country better.  If you don't vote and things are bad or not as you like, then you have no right to complain about how it's going since you did nothing to try and make it better. 

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

To me it means...they have no skin in the game.

If you (generally speaking) are too lazy or indifferent to take the time to vote, then you can't complain about the outcome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)