Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Same-Sex Couples, Marriage,and Religion!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 66 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do you think that it should be legal for the Same sex couples to get married in the us?

and do you think it should be a seperation of church/religious beliefs and gov't?

also if you said no to same sex couples getting married and its not because of religious beliefs explain please? 

because i dont see any problem in same sex couples getting married in the us. even if it was aginst my religion. not every one believes in the same thing that you do and i do see how it would hurt you in anyway.

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes for both. I support gay marriage and I am an atheist so I would rather see things be voted on for what is best for people...not because the bible said so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
broncfan
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
8 moms liked this

I would like to see the whole thing changed.  I would like to see civil unions that are recognized by the government for taxes etc.  Marriage should be in the churches, if a church has no problem with same-sex marriage they can do them, if they have a problem they can say no.  Civil unions would be no more than going and getting the marriage licences, the ceremony would not be necessary to make it legal. 

AlekD
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I don't see a problem with them having civil unions and having all the same rights under the law as married couples but, as a Catholic, I don't see their union as a marriage since in my faith tradition marriage is a religious sacrament with specific qualifications, one of which being the desire and ability to concieve and raise children.

That being said I think it would be best if all civil unions were called just that, whether they be homo or hetero sexual.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
As long they get the same benefits of marriages...I don't care what each couple calls it.

Quoting broncfan:

I would like to see the whole thing changed.  I would like to see civil unions that are recognized by the government for taxes etc.  Marriage should be in the churches, if a church has no problem with same-sex marriage they can do them, if they have a problem they can say no.  Civil unions would be no more than going and getting the marriage licences, the ceremony would not be necessary to make it legal. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
So, now I say "I'm married". Would I then say "I'm civil unionized." Haha.
Quoting AlekD:

I don't see a problem with them having civil unions and having all the same rights under the law as married couples but, as a Catholic, I don't see their union as a marriage since in my faith tradition marriage is a religious sacrament with specific qualifications, one of which being the desire and ability to concieve and raise children.

That being said I think it would be best if all civil unions were called just that, whether they be homo or hetero sexual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momsince1989
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I am Christian and I feel that everyone should have the right to marry who they want. I don't think anyone should be allowed to impose their religious beliefs and make them into laws.

MagicTemptation
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM
5 moms liked this

We have Seperation of Church and State for a reason. Our founding fathers were not all Christians. In fact out of the main ones, most of them were deists. That is why they used the terms "Nature's God" and our "Creator" they were not refering to the Christian god. 

Our country is suppose to be about being able to worship how we see fit. The Pursuit of Happineess. With that being said, the government should have no right to dictate who can and cannot marry. 

Marriage has been performed through many differnt religious cultures, not just the Christians. If a certain church does not want to marry gay couples, that is fine. They should not be forced too. But they should not ban others from being able to who would. 

(edited to fix a misspelled word)

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I totally agree with all of this.  

Quoting broncfan:

momsince1989
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

and I have no problem with people who aren't Christian calling it marriage...I never understood the "we need to protect the sanctity of marriage" fight from my side? It's one of the many reasons I left church. Call it whatever you want and feel cherished doing. It's hurtful and hateful what the church is doing with the DOMA act....it's dispicable really....like God asked us to do that? NO HE didn't....He is more loving than that!!!

I think it's unfair anytime a person is marginalized or made to feel as if they can't participate or be part of the community!

momsince1989
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

yes! I crack up when I hear someone say we are a Christian nation! Um no we are a Christian people we don't have a nation really.

Quoting MagicTemptation:

We have Seperation of Church and State for a reason. Our founding fathers were not all Christians. In fact out of the main ones, most of them were deists. That is why they used the terms "Nature's God" and our "Creator" they were not refering to the Christian god. 

Our country is suppose to be about being able to worship how we see fit. The Pursuit of Happineess. With that being said, the government should have no right to dictate who can and cannot marry. 

Marriage has been befored through many differnt religious cultures, not just the Christians. If a certain church does not want to marry gay couples, that is fine. They should not be forced too. But they should not ban others from being able to who would. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)