Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do some soul searching

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 72 Replies
3 moms liked this

http://www.blogher.com/reality-bites-lessons-learned-november-6th

Democrats had an amazing election night, so much so one would think Republicans would be doing some serious soul searching. Instead what are we hearing?

• We lost our momentum due to Sandy
• Our country is made up of more “takers” than “makers” with those takers just wanting free stuff.
• We weren’t anti-abortion enough
• The liberal media is in the bag for Obama
• Democrats suppressed the vote

Nothing in their assessment questions why their policies do not appeal to the majority of Americans.

They were truly shocked at the results. Their polls had Romney winning, keeping the House and taking the Senate. While they did keep the House, they lost seats even after massive re-districting to assure Republican control. All of the rightwing news media and pundits had them convinced of this winning scenario and with the advent of Citizens United, the hundreds of millions spent by Rove’s Super Pac, the Koch Brothers and Sheldon Adelson, how could they lose?

You only need to look at their reality to understand why the Republicans were so surprised by the outcome.  Rachel Maddow and Bill Maher define the world in which they exist a “bubble”. You decide.

I really agreed with this and think that both sides can take a page from this book.  Do a bit of soul searching and maybe you will come up with some answers instead of blaming.

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM
5 moms liked this

I think BlogHer should look at this map, which shows how much "more Republican" districts went in 2012 versus 2008s. The redder the area, the more right the votes.

slightlyperfect

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

May I ask for the link to that source.  I would very much like to see it and check for fact.  Thanks!

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I think BlogHer should look at this map, which shows how much "more Republican" districts went in 2012 versus 2008s. The redder the area, the more right the votes.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

WSJ was one source that used it, I'm not sure if they're the ones who aggregated the data for it, since they seem to cite so many different sources. WSJ did issue some textual corrections. But nothing major.

Quoting blues_pagan:

May I ask for the link to that source.  I would very much like to see it and check for fact.  Thanks!

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

slightlyperfect

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM
11 moms liked this

Funny, because when Obama preformed dismally at the first debate, they were giving excuses from..."it's his 20th anniversary" to "it's the altitude"...

Ssooo it's ONLY ok for dems and Obama to give "excuses" and not republicans?

It's the same thing, Obama "changes his mind" and "evolves" Romney "flip flops"...

Double standard.

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

OK so I found the exact article from the same source and I think that you should look at it a bit closer.  

What County-by-County Results Tell Us About the Election

The most detailed results from the 2012 election show the voting patterns for each county in the country. Changes from the previous election give us an idea of what geographic and demographic trends are impacting national politics.

Redder since 2008
A large portion of the country, geographically, moved rightward in this election
Bluer since 2008
In a smattering of counties, the percentage of the vote for Obama increased.
Increased Turnout
since 2008
Turnout increased in some counties primarily in the South, Midwest and West.
Biggest Margins
In many counties, the margin of victory was greater than 20 percentage points.
Smallest Margins
In a handful of counties, the races were much closer, with a difference of less than 2 percentage points.
Redder since 2004
Though much of the country moved rightward since 2008, a smaller portion has done so compared to 2004.
Bluer since 2004
Much of the country has remained shifted to the left since George W. Bush faced John Kerry.
Increased Turnout
since 2004
Turnout increased in more places from 2004 to 2012 than from 2008 to 2012.
Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

WSJ was one source that used it, I'm not sure if they're the ones who aggregated the data for it, since they seem to cite so many different sources. WSJ did issue some textual corrections. But nothing major.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

If you noticed  I noted at the bottom that both sides can take a page from this.  Stop pointing fingers and start coming up with solutions.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Funny, because when Obama preformed dismally at the first debate, they were giving excuses from..."it's his 20th anniversary" to "it's the altitude"...

It's the same thing, Obama "changes his mind" and "evolves" Romney "flip flops"...

Double standard.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

The solution would be no more excuses..how about taking responsibility and being accountable.

Romney--for moving jobs to China, which by the way he is NOT the only business man/corporation to do so.

Obama--for not doing much when he had democratic control of congress, and resting on his laurels for passing Obamacare. (which should be called Kennedycare because national healthcare was his baby)

Quoting blues_pagan:

If you noticed  I noted at the bottom that both sides can take a page from this.  Stop pointing fingers and start coming up with solutions.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Double standard.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I'm not sure I follow. Are they saying the redder the areas, the bigger the turnout compared to 2008? It's just that the "red" turnout itself didn't match the more urban or otherwise bluer areas?

Quoting blues_pagan:

OK so I found the exact article from the same source and I think that you should look at it a bit closer. 

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

To be fair, Obama really only had control of the House and Senate for something like 29 days.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

The solution would be no more excuses..how about taking responsibility and being accountable.

Romney--for moving jobs to China, which by the way he is NOT the only business man/corporation to do so.

Obama--for not doing much when he had democratic control of congress, and resting on his laurels for passing Obamacare. (which should be called Kennedycare because national healthcare was his baby)

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Double standard.

slightlyperfect

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

No from what I understand of what of the article, if you click on each county you can see how each county voted in the last 3 elections.  By a very small portion a majority of counties in the US elected Republicans but most of them not by enough to win (so in other words the people within the counties still voted predominately democratic but there was a shift from the election prior with some moving right).  It is very hard to understand unless you look at some of the areas that had changes.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I'm not sure I follow. Are they saying the redder the areas, the bigger the turnout compared to 2008? It's just that the "red" turnout itself didn't match the more urban or otherwise bluer areas?

Quoting blues_pagan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)