Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are you moved by President Obama’s display of emotion?

Posted by   + Show Post

President Obama's Tears Show How Vulnerability Can Be the Mightiest Asset (VIDEO)

Posted by Janelle Harris on November 10, 2012

President ObamaPresident Obama and Mitt Romney have had some well-deserved time for reflection, but emotion is still running high from Tuesday night’s election. Supporters from the Romney camp grudgingly let go as his campaign conceded Florida yesterday. Over in his 2012 headquarters in Chicago, President Obama addressed his team of bright-eyed, enthusiastic staffers -- most of them young people in their 20s and 30s -- who diligently helped seal his re-election victory.

So moved was he by their energy and so fired up was he about his passion for change, he choked up momentarily. Can’t say I've ever watched a President be moved to tears before, but seeing him so humbled and emotional of course made me tap my own water works. Even if his naysayers don’t think he’s the best man for the job, I think most can agree that he is indeed a good man. 

Before scooping up Michelle and their girls and heading back to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, President Obama reflected on his days as a community organizer in Chi-town. But he told the crowd, “It’s not that you remind me of myself; it’s that you’re so much better than I was. You’re smarter and you’re better organized and you’re more effective,” he said in the clip originally posted on the campaign’s YouTube channel. “What Bobby Kennedy called the ‘ripples of hope,’ when you throw a stone in the lake, that’s you.”

He explained that he felt like he had come “full circle…because what you guys have done means the work that I’m doing is important. And I’m really proud of that. I’m really proud of all of you.” And that’s when the tears rolled. He wiped them away, but what a tender, vulnerable moment. And if there’s one thing I want for the leader of the free world, it’s to be so compassion-filled that he can have tender, vulnerable moments.

You can question his policies, his decisions, his strategies. But our Prez never lost that grassroots organizer spirit and, all of the big league politics aside, he still has a heart for people.

Are you moved by President Obama’s display of emotion?

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Replies (151-153):
imamomzilla
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM

You see...that would be the deal breaker for me. Protect myself and my family, yes. But I just don't think I could....as much as I love my country.

:-(

Quoting rccmom:

The death of innocents is always wrong, but also always happens in any war, drones or no drones. I had a Msgt. ask a very pertinent question when I was in PME, Professional Military Education, as an airman. The question is not whether you not you are willing to die for your country, the question you need to answer is if you are willing to kill for your country. It was what he asked us to consider before any of us re-enlisted.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Yes, it is true that he is but a mere mortal who makes mistakes...we all do. I guess I shouldn't hold our elected officials to a higher standard.

The teab*gger reference was just gross and tacky. He is the most divisive president ever.

War may be a necessary evil, but I guess the Libertarian in me looks at drones as unjust and the Christian in me sees the killing of innocents are immoral.

Quoting rccmom:

Drones, that's a hard one. I do believe we have the right to protect our country, and drones are very effective. It is probably wrong of me, but the terrorists declared war on us, and so the use of drones to kill them are a fact of war, and so is collateral damage, sad as it is. Christian or not? I don't know. In your mind, does Christianity allow for war?

Partial birth abortions are pretty regulated already. There is and should be an exception for the life and health of the mother. It is not up to us or the President to make that decision for the mother, and the mother must live with her own choice. However, by enacting legislation that helps people have insurance and education, he is doing proactive things to reduce abortion.  

He was being not tactful when he spoke of people clinging to their Bibles, but in context, he was accurate. People cling to their Bibles all the time without understanding what that very Book actually means. The Bible has been ill used for all manner of wrongs.  Don't kow the filthy slur, but we all know he isn't perfect.

Are you a Dr. Who fan?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Oh, OK. There's a couple of folks on here who like to exaggerate. ;-)

See, on your point, I disagree. Rubber-stamping the use of drones and partial-birth abortions shows a clear lack of compassion.

Was his mocking "in a Christian way" when he insulted the Tea Party with that filthy sexual slur....or saying people "cling to their Bibles"....or when he flipped Hillary the finger....? I could go on and on.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting imamomzilla:

You know Barry personally?

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

As observation the question I have is this:  Do his actions always show he is a Christian?

Veronica

His actions are more Christian than some others, both from what I know of him personally, and politically. However, no one's actions ALWAYS show they are a Christian because we are not perfect.

The intention of the qualifying phrase, "from what I know of him personally," was to indicate no more than anyone else watching him these 4yrs, and reading what he has written. I have observed how he has handled himself in office though, and how he has dealt with the slurs and insults, and it has been in a Christian way.  

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It made a definite impression on me. More than 20yrs later and it sticks in my head. I did 4yrs and got out, so I was never faced with the necessity. I do not know if I could, but I am thankful for those vets who faced that hard choice and served our country faithfully.

Quoting imamomzilla:

You see...that would be the deal breaker for me. Protect myself and my family, yes. But I just don't think I could....as much as I love my country.

:-(

Quoting rccmom:

The death of innocents is always wrong, but also always happens in any war, drones or no drones. I had a Msgt. ask a very pertinent question when I was in PME, Professional Military Education, as an airman. The question is not whether you not you are willing to die for your country, the question you need to answer is if you are willing to kill for your country. It was what he asked us to consider before any of us re-enlisted.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Yes, it is true that he is but a mere mortal who makes mistakes...we all do. I guess I shouldn't hold our elected officials to a higher standard.

The teab*gger reference was just gross and tacky. He is the most divisive president ever.

War may be a necessary evil, but I guess the Libertarian in me looks at drones as unjust and the Christian in me sees the killing of innocents are immoral.

Quoting rccmom:

Drones, that's a hard one. I do believe we have the right to protect our country, and drones are very effective. It is probably wrong of me, but the terrorists declared war on us, and so the use of drones to kill them are a fact of war, and so is collateral damage, sad as it is. Christian or not? I don't know. In your mind, does Christianity allow for war?

Partial birth abortions are pretty regulated already. There is and should be an exception for the life and health of the mother. It is not up to us or the President to make that decision for the mother, and the mother must live with her own choice. However, by enacting legislation that helps people have insurance and education, he is doing proactive things to reduce abortion.  

He was being not tactful when he spoke of people clinging to their Bibles, but in context, he was accurate. People cling to their Bibles all the time without understanding what that very Book actually means. The Bible has been ill used for all manner of wrongs.  Don't kow the filthy slur, but we all know he isn't perfect.

Are you a Dr. Who fan?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Oh, OK. There's a couple of folks on here who like to exaggerate. ;-)

See, on your point, I disagree. Rubber-stamping the use of drones and partial-birth abortions shows a clear lack of compassion.

Was his mocking "in a Christian way" when he insulted the Tea Party with that filthy sexual slur....or saying people "cling to their Bibles"....or when he flipped Hillary the finger....? I could go on and on.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting imamomzilla:

You know Barry personally?

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

As observation the question I have is this:  Do his actions always show he is a Christian?

Veronica

His actions are more Christian than some others, both from what I know of him personally, and politically. However, no one's actions ALWAYS show they are a Christian because we are not perfect.

The intention of the qualifying phrase, "from what I know of him personally," was to indicate no more than anyone else watching him these 4yrs, and reading what he has written. I have observed how he has handled himself in office though, and how he has dealt with the slurs and insults, and it has been in a Christian way.  

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too. It's the ultimate sacrifice.

God Bless our troops.

happy veterans day

Quoting rccmom:

It made a definite impression on me. More than 20yrs later and it sticks in my head. I did 4yrs and got out, so I was never faced with the necessity. I do not know if I could, but I am thankful for those vets who faced that hard choice and served our country faithfully.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN