Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

$275 for groceries

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 81 Replies
2 moms liked this

That is what we spent today.  And we hardly got any food. That is our max budget for food, we can't budget any more for food right now.  I said to dh "Are you kidding me? THIS is all you could get with almost $300???!!!"  $275 used to go a long way a few years ago.  We've gotten the same store brand items we always have, just the basics.  Nothing has changed as far as WHAT we buy or WHERE we buy, but now we have to get LESS food to feed my three children. So much for Christmas presents.  I'm not in the mood to buy Christmas presents, I'm too nervous about how much more our prices on everything will go up.

btw: NO we are not on food stamps and never have. We are the tightly squeezed middle class who is getting squeezed even more.  Just watch and see how wonderful this Christmas is going to be.  Everyone will be trying to pay for food and fill up their gas tanks instead. 

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Well hate to  tell you everyone's grocery bills have gone up we spend $800 of my husbands hard earned money on groceries but to be fair we also feed 8 dogs on that.  I shop at Costco, Cash and Carry, Grocery Outlet and Winco Food Warehouse to get my best deals. I watch Fred Meyer ads for when Chicken is 88 cents a lb like it was this week and I stock up.

I went to costco and got a bag of dog food, a smal box of groceries, for 116.00 I noticed their prices have gone on on somethings  the last couple month Peanut butter being one. But some things went down like their toilet paper and pecans for my holiday baking.

All we can do is be smart shopper it would be so easy for us to spend  $1,000 on groceries if I was not the Super bargain hunter I am.   We save what ever Tax refund we do get after taxes for Christmas have been doing that for 10 years now sometime it isn't very much but we make due.

thecoffeefairy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I shop SAMs and target. I make a lot of stuff from scratch. Bread, pasta,biscuits, ect. It's easy and quite relaxing after a long day at work I think😊 It also saves us money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I shop SAMs and target. I make a lot of stuff from scratch. Bread, pasta,biscuits, ect. It's easy and quite relaxing after a long day at work I think😊 It also saves us money.

I work full time also. yes, I agree that cooking more would help. I'm not a very good cook so guess it's time I learned to help out my family's finances.

Cheribomb
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I could probably get close to a months worth of food for that. . $350 is about what i spend a month and we eat really good.  i just have a lot of options & can go to 5 different stores to each stores deals.  

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I also make most things from scratch gave up almost all process food that cost so much and give so little value. 5 lbs of frozen Costco green bean last over a month :)

thecoffeefairy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up 5 minute artisan bread. It tastes like your a professional and seriously my teenage daughter can make it.

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I work full time also. yes, I agree that cooking more would help. I'm not a very good cook so guess it's time I learned to help out my family's finances.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Quoting NancSBRN:

Well hate to  tell you everyone's grocery bills have gone up we spend $800 of my husbands hard earned money on groceries but to be fair we also feed 8 dogs on that.  I shop at Costco, Cash and Carry, Grocery Outlet and Winco Food Warehouse to get my best deals. I watch Fred Meyer ads for when Chicken is 88 cents a lb like it was this week and I stock up.

I went to costco and got a bag of dog food, a smal box of groceries, for 116.00 I noticed their prices have gone on on somethings  the last couple month Peanut butter being one. But some things went down like their toilet paper and pecans for my holiday baking.

All we can do is be smart shopper it would be so easy for us to spend  $1,000 on groceries if I was not the Super bargain hunter I am.   We save what ever Tax refund we do get after taxes for Christmas have been doing that for 10 years now sometime it isn't very much but we make due.

We don't get a tax refund anymore.  We lost our child tax credit for our three kids.  Now we have to pay more taxes, even though our income has not gone up.  My dh is going to have to go hunting for deer and we are looking into aquaponics so we can beat the system.

3dragonflies
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I spent around $200 this week and that will probably only get me by till Wednesday if I'm lucky.  i feel for ya peaches :(  It is very sad to see this happening.  I also went by a gas station who when I went by first was at $3.57 and a couple hours later the same gas station was up to $3.59.  The gas prices were going down in my area but that looks like it is not going to last long....ugh!!!!

DawnPratt23
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Where do you live?? I spend 326/month for a family of 6. We live in Utah, and I coupon a lot. You should visit cm group frugalistas for some saving ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeeperSqueak
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I know.....things aren't going to get any better : (  I feed a family of 7 and things are always very tight.  Over the years I've learned how to cook for an Army as in-expensive as possible.

Join us.........http://www.cafemom.com/group/114730

Living In Harmony with the Economy !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN