Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Papa John's, the "pie" gets smaller

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:56 AM
  • 175 Replies

I heard this yesterday on the news but I found an article regarding it today.

So Papa John's is the next business to state they will reduce their employees working hours in order to cover costs of Obamacare.  They also claim that they will pass some costs incurred over Obamacare onto your pizza order......

"Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John’s pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare."

Article: 

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:58 AM
4 moms liked this

This is going to happen on a large scale.Logic dictates..certainly it will be wonderful when Americans work hours are cut and they can no longer afford necessities.Just brilliant!

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Sad part of doing business in America. 

JavaMom2one
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM
2 moms liked this

And as a side funny, the ad at the top of my cafemom page turned into a Domino's ad.  : )  Do you think they won't raise their prices due to Obamacare? : )

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM
7 moms liked this

It's gonna be a lean 4 years.

Welcome to Obama-nomics everyone!

See how happy his supporters are in 8 months. 13 months..

No one realizes that their doctors need to be accepted and approved by Obamacare, as do hospitals.

Enjoy changing doctors, and hospitals.

I get what Washington's goal was, but how do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time..

How would you implement a new healthcare system??

One step at a time, not with a 1500 page document that was literally "too big to read so we need to pass it to read it"...

un-freaking-believable

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It's gonna be a lean 4 years.

Welcome to Obama-nomics everyone!

See how happy his supporters are in 8 months. 13 months..

No one realizes that their doctors need to be accepted and approved by Obamacare, as do hospitals.

Enjoy changing doctors, and hospitals.

I get what Washington's goal was, but how do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time..

How would you implement a new healthcare system??

One step at a time, not with a 1500 page document that was literally "too big to read so we need to pass it to read it"...

un-freaking-believable

The AHA was over 2000 pages long....

JavaMom2one
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
5 moms liked this

I know there was another thread where people were claiming that these cuts, layoffs, or whatnot were not a direct result of Obama being reelected, but here is another headline where a major franchise clearly says how it will have to cut back because of Obamacare.  How can anyone deny this when companies are stepping forward and clearly stating why they are being forced to reduce their workforce and/or cut back individuals working hours?

Zane Tankel, Applebee's Franchisee, Says He Won't Hire Because Of Obamacare

Personally, I love how prior to the elections so many screamed woman's rights issues as the driving force for their vote, but I'd like to know which would you rather have, free birth control or a job?  Can you eat that free birth control when you and your family are going hungry because you lost your job or your hours where cut back?

Seriously, it's not looking pretty out there.  One can only hope that more companies don't follow suit. But frankly, I'm already starting to worry about the trend these companies are setting.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM
3 moms liked this

What I don't understand is how are restaurants going to outsource? I get they are cuting jobs, etc. But alot of these businesses are cutting american jobs and talking about going overseas.... restaurants can't really do that. I don't see the benefits. People are just honestly to me jumping the gun on this shit. Just my opinion. They don't know how it's actually going to play out, benefit them so it's "Fuck it, I'm firing people!"

JavaMom2one
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:25 AM
7 moms liked this

Sorry, but I disagree with the claim that companies are "jumping the gun" and firing or cutting back hours prematurely.  The majority new what an Obama re-election would mean to their business.  They had plans etched out ages ago with two scenarios, Obama or another candidate being elected.  

The new regulations being put into place under the Obama administration gave deadlines for companies to come into line with the new rules and regulations.  So now that Obama is reelected they have to start adjusting in order to  "come into line" by the set deadlines.  That's why companies are starting to layoff, fire, or reduce working hours to part-time now, to meet upcoming deadlines.

I think what this comes to is the "in your face, we won" attitude has dulled a bit because no one can deny the headlines that have come day-after-day of businesses being forced to reduce employees and/or their hours due to Obama's regulations.

As I said, you can't fill your belly on free birthcontrol.  Well, you could try but I bet it doesn't taste good.

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM
9 moms liked this

PaPa johns is full of shit & just trying to make headlines.

Except for a MAYBE a manager, they have barely ANY full time workers or pay ANYTHING for health insurance already. One of my nephews who delivers there now says that non of the managers work there more than 30 hours a week already & none of them get health insurance.

they are just crying big because they're too stupid to understand how obamacare works. I'm sure they'll be getting a lot of business in the next few days....nice one papa johns. Your pizza sucks balls anyway....

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this

When each restaurant that you own in a chain can cost you upwards of an additional 80,000 dollars to 100,000 dollars based on the new Obamacare taxes, you have little choice but to cut hours, fire people, and pass the costs on to the consumers. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

What I don't understand is how are restaurants going to outsource? I get they are cuting jobs, etc. But alot of these businesses are cutting american jobs and talking about going overseas.... restaurants can't really do that. I don't see the benefits. People are just honestly to me jumping the gun on this shit. Just my opinion. They don't know how it's actually going to play out, benefit them so it's "Fuck it, I'm firing people!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)