Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Why did you vote for Obama?

Posted by   + Show Post
Yes, as most of you know, I did not vote for Obama. I would, however, like to know what the thought process was for those that did. I would like FACTS only and no personal opinions. No bashing allowed here. This is for a knowledge exchange. I really would like to know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
sunshinekid73
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this
So, I see a lot about social issues and jobs.
How do you all feel about the unemployment being, I'll say, the same as when he came into office?
How do you all feel about us not finding out about the drone shot at by Iran until after the election?
Do you feel the Obama's people are dishonest with us?
How do you feel about Republicans (Lincoln) helping people out of slavery?
Was abortion and birth control in your mind when you voted even though no republican would be able to stop abortions?
mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting anniib:

I voted for Obama because I feel that we are connected as a society and that we are responsible (I know that's a strong word) to each other.  I'm not overly religious but as a member of a society that works, we must look out for those in need.  Yes, much needs to change, and entitilement reform is long past due.  However, Romney's social policies would have enabled humanity to look the other way and not help those in greatest need. 

BTW, I'm in the top 10% but if my taxes went up to fund some programs that are desperately needed, so be it.  I have taught my two chilren that above all else, they are responsible for their world, they are responsible for their society.

Why are they responsible for "society"? What about personal accountability. Why not help those in need on your own rather trusting the corrupt govt to decide te best way to help those in need?
imamomzilla
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Take it down a level? I was "communicating" with shim. Are you her mommy?

What part of the exchange are you having problems with? Drones. Gitmo. Benghazi?

Quoting sunshinekid73:

Lets take it down a level. This is an exchange. We can't understand each other if we can't communicate.

Quoting imamomzilla:

No, I SPECIFICALLY remember you saying that ("assume") AFTER the election. So, you're being dishonest.

This administration has conducted MORE drone attacks than the previous, thus killing more innocent bystanders, etc.

If memory serves, O also promised to close Gitmo...? Oh, that's right. They just slowly release the terrorists into the general population so they can recruit more. What a plan. ;-)

Quoting shimamab:

I was on the fence...as I said many times. And peeps did ASSume who I would vote for without asking or knowing. Who I actually voted for doesn't change that. I voted third party in most of the local and state contests since I figured this kind of change will have to start on a local level before ever gaining enough momentum for the presidential race.

Yep, drones bother me when they hit innocent bystanders....just as all those people being held in Guantanamo being subjected to "enhanced interrogations" did during the last admin. I don't rubber stamp any admin with a 100% seal of approval. But out of the two less than stellar candidates, I see less chance of WWlll with Obama.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Thought you voted 3rd party? When someone else implied that you were an O supporter you said they "ASSume much"...? Fess up.

Drones don't bother you....?

Indefinite detention...?

Quoting shimamab:

Foreign policy/diplomacy (sick of wars) and SCOTUS selection. Domestic issues are more decided by all branches of govt so these are the two things that it came down to for me.

shimamab
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

The unemployment numbers suck and I'm disappointed that the stimulus didn't work as projected. Whether it was too small or shouldn't have been done at all is above my pay level ;) Top economists don't even agree on the why so I can only say...boo!!!

Your next 2 are same-ish and to those I say, yes...the govt in general is and has been dishonest with us for quite some time now. Sometimes for nat'l sec reasons, other times for politics. I just didn't see any clear reason to believe Romney would be more forth-coming. I think it's a institutional problem with the govt as a whole. 

Reps and dems platforms have changed throughout the years, all I can vote on is who presently reps my beliefs the closest. 

Birth control played no part in my decision, but the appointment of SCOTUS justices that could either uphold or overturn Roe v Wade and other legislation (specifically Citizens United) did. 

Quoting sunshinekid73:

How do you all feel about the unemployment being, I'll say, the same as when he came into office?
How do you all feel about us not finding out about the drone shot at by Iran until after the election?
Was abortion and birth control in your mind when you voted even though no republican would be able to stop abortions?

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Good grief. (source: US Bureau of Labor Statistics)

Yes, this administration is being very dishonest to the American people.

What does slavery have to do with this election?

Lady bits didn't even factor in on my decision.

Quoting sunshinekid73:

deriksmom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

good luck with that small business now

anniib
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Just saw this....yes, there is some corruption to our government.  And yes, we need better solutions.  However, government does provide for not only those who need it but also those who think they don't (public education, roads,  safe water, etc.)  It's easy to say we can do everything on our own but really, that's not true.  Unfortunately, we are becoming very ego-centric as a people.  We believe that the person creates the situation..this isn't always true.  The unemployed veteran who is on assistance did not create this situation.  The school teacher who relies on special programs to afford a house on her salary...etc, etc....

There seems to be a trend to think that compassion must somehow be earned.  How many hoops can that homeless man jump through before he's deemed worthy enough for a handout?  I also find it extreme to say we can handle charity on our own..that the federal government should leave charity and assistance to private charities and individuals.  Compassion should not be subjective...a person is either compassionate or they are not...this goes with helping others...you either help people or you blame them for their circumstances.  

There is a theory out there that morality and compassion are genetic.  Maybe it is.

sunshinekid73
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
When people donate willingly to the Red Cross or United, isn't that voluntary compassion? I think people are less compassionate and giving when their own families are suffering and they make less and less money. Giving increases when people have more spending money. So, in college economics terms, if you increase jobs, excess money in pockets increases and people give more. It's an economic fact.

Quoting anniib:

Just saw this....yes, there is some corruption to our government.  And yes, we need better solutions.  However, government does provide for not only those who need it but also those who think they don't (public education, roads,  safe water, etc.)  It's easy to say we can do everything on our own but really, that's not true.  Unfortunately, we are becoming very ego-centric as a people.  We believe that the person creates the situation..this isn't always true.  The unemployed veteran who is on assistance did not create this situation.  The school teacher who relies on special programs to afford a house on her salary...etc, etc....

There seems to be a trend to think that compassion must somehow be earned.  How many hoops can that homeless man jump through before he's deemed worthy enough for a handout?  I also find it extreme to say we can handle charity on our own..that the federal government should leave charity and assistance to private charities and individuals.  Compassion should not be subjective...a person is either compassionate or they are not...this goes with helping others...you either help people or you blame them for their circumstances.  

There is a theory out there that morality and compassion are genetic.  Maybe it is.

resipsa
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to, but then I remembered I don't want the u.s. to become a European welfare state with limited freedoms and an emperor president who disregards the constitution and buys votes with promises of goodies, so I didn't 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The one and only thing that you have ever said that I agree with, Obama will simply turn over the nuclear codes to the muslim brotherhood and there will be no war.

Quoting shimamab:

I was on the fence...as I said many times. And peeps did ASSume who I would vote for without asking or knowing. Who I actually voted for doesn't change that. I voted third party in most of the local and state contests since I figured this kind of change will have to start on a local level before ever gaining enough momentum for the presidential race.

Yep, drones bother me when they hit innocent bystanders....just as all those people being held in Guantanamo being subjected to "enhanced interrogations" did during the last admin. I don't rubber stamp any admin with a 100% seal of approval. But out of the two less than stellar candidates, I see less chance of WWlll with Obama.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Thought you voted 3rd party? When someone else implied that you were an O supporter you said they "ASSume much"...? Fess up.

Drones don't bother you....?

Indefinite detention...?

Quoting shimamab:

Foreign policy/diplomacy (sick of wars) and SCOTUS selection. Domestic issues are more decided by all branches of govt so these are the two things that it came down to for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN