Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pa Pa John Can Give Away Free Pizza/But No To Healthcare??

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM
  • 20 Replies

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012/11/papa-johns-can-give-away-free-pizza-but-healthcare-isnt-happening/

Centi millionaire Schnatter who put milliones into the Romney campaign has a cheesey meltdown and takes it out on his workers over ObamaCare.The hate baiting goes on and on.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't know what that website is - but clearly they don't have even the first single clue about business.

It just makes one looks silly to post this nonsense.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM
6 moms liked this
He can do whatever the hell he wants to its his business. If obamacare is detrimental for his bottom line he has to do what he can do to cut costs elsewhere. Why fault him for that?
29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM
8 moms liked this

The cost of one pizza is a few dollars.  (A few years ago, I could have told you what that was to the penny, but I don't know what the current costs are.)  The cost of insuring 1 employee is hundreds of dollars, nowhere NEAR the cost of a pizza.  And then, you also have to factor in the results of a challenge like his, many many more people order PPJ pizza simply because of that, which increases the sales enough to cover the cost of the free pizza.  But how many more will order pizza so that the driver will have insurance?  And then there is the national franchise thing to factor in -- some people will not patronize what they see as a big business, and having a nationally franchised chain falls into that category for some.  They would rather support their small local businesses. 

It comes down to the cost of doing business.  If your business brings in $1000 per night, and your food and labor costs are $600, you still have all those other expenses to cover with the remaining $400:  rent for the building, utilities, franchise fees, repairs, assorted benefits (vacations, bonuses, insurance, workmans comp, unemployment ins. just to name a few).  It is so much easier for a store to absorb the cost of a few pizzas than to add the huge cost of insuring every employee.  The stores have to keep the F/L/M percentages below a certain level for each week, and if the GM goes over consistently, that GM is out of a job. 

So, yes, Papa Johns CAN give away free pizza, but not be able to offer healthcare to every employee.  The costs of those pizzas is nowhere near the cost of all that insurance. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting 29again:

The cost of one pizza is a few dollars.  (A few years ago, I could have told you what that was to the penny, but I don't know what the current costs are.)  The cost of insuring 1 employee is hundreds of dollars, nowhere NEAR the cost of a pizza.  And then, you also have to factor in the results of a challenge like his, many many more people order PPJ pizza simply because of that, which increases the sales enough to cover the cost of the free pizza.  But how many more will order pizza so that the driver will have insurance?  And then there is the national franchise thing to factor in -- some people will not patronize what they see as a big business, and having a nationally franchised chain falls into that category for some.  They would rather support their small local businesses. 

It comes down to the cost of doing business.  If your business brings in $1000 per night, and your food and labor costs are $600, you still have all those other expenses to cover with the remaining $400:  rent for the building, utilities, franchise fees, repairs, assorted benefits (vacations, bonuses, insurance, workmans comp, unemployment ins. just to name a few).  It is so much easier for a store to absorb the cost of a few pizzas than to add the huge cost of insuring every employee.  The stores have to keep the F/L/M percentages below a certain level for each week, and if the GM goes over consistently, that GM is out of a job. 

So, yes, Papa Johns CAN give away free pizza, but not be able to offer healthcare to every employee.  The costs of those pizzas is nowhere near the cost of all that insurance. 

Genius, accurate, and completely over their heads.

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting 29again:

Experience, experience, experience.   

And they expect these chains to donate (give away for free!!!) pizzas, drinks, etc to all their pet projects (school events, Relay for Life, any group hosting an event for whatever good cause they support...) without the cost of their product increasing for anyone.  I would get calls all the time, asking if the store could donate for this event, that event, sometimes for a kids birthday party!!  Oh, and lets not forget the bored kids who think it just so MUCH freaking fun to place an order for a dozen or so pizzas as a prank, or even a disgruntled ex to place a fake $100 order!  Yes, that happens, too!  And that costs the store money, too.  On those occasions, I donated those pizzas to the PD or the FD.  I rotated between the two departments.

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this

Agrees, agrees, and spot on! :-)

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting 29again:

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Gee a company as big as Papa Johns pay far less per employee then my Husband Employers who are Pathologists. A coportation as huges as Papa Johns can get BIG Discounts because of the shear volume of employes vs the maybe 15 or so employess that work where my husband does. PJ is a billion dollar Coporatoin and the Doctors multi Millions now doubt as much as they make :)

It is about Share holder and making them happy more then it is about employee and helping them out for the biggers coporation.  The truth is most big coporation offer less benefits to employees then smaller companies do . Walmart makes sure most of their employees do not receive benefits even though they are the largest coporation in the world.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Costco Made their Pizza Smaller But then they also CUT The PRICE will PJ do that I think now.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Does Costco deliver pizza now? 

Quoting NancSBRN:

Costco Made their Pizza Smaller But then they also CUT The PRICE will PJ do that I think now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN