Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Texas has the backing to secede

Posted by   + Show Post

Hooray for Texas? I am really not sure how I feel about this.  I think it is ridiculous that they would consider secession simply because the democratic process didn't go their way but at the same time I don't think the US really needs this type of ignorance in it's government.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/texas-petition-secede-reaches-threshold-obama-comment/story?id=17701519#.UKI2Y4e5OHM

A petition for Texas to secede from the union, submitted to the White House, reached the number of signatures needed to draw comment from the Obama administration today.

The petition appeared on a section of the White House website called "We the People" that invites users with a U.S. zip code to submit or sign petitions about policy changes they would like to see. A petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days for the administration to comment on it.

The petition  to "Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government," was submitted on Friday of last week. Just three days later, it zoomed past the 25,000 mark at 3:22 p.m. today and kept going.

In order to sign a petition, users must register with the site using a valid email address and entering their zip code. The site's terms of participation indicates it has mechanisms in place to block spam, but it does not say anything about verifying zip codes or state residency.

Many signatures on the petition came from Texas, but some also claimed to be from other states, including Flagstaff, Ariz., Pinebluff, Ark., and Rio Rancho, N.M. Some did not publicly list their residency.

Beer for the Masses Watch Video
Voting Machine Problems Reported in Texas Watch Video
Texas Leaders Back Bible Cheerleaders Watch Video

At least 17 other states have similar petitions to the Texas secession request on the We the People forum including New Jersey, New York, Montana, Colorado, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Oregon and Michigan. The closest behind Texas was Louisiana with 15,617 signatures.

In 2009, Texas Gov. Rick Perry hinted that anti-Washington sentiment could lead residents of his state to seek independence from the union.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

At time of publishing, Perry's office had not responded to a request for comment.

So far, the president has not commented on the petition and there is no guarantee that he will. The terms of participation give the president some loopholes.

"To avoid the appearance of improper influence, the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government in its response to a petition," the site says.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Raintree
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM

In their petition, they talk about how they've 'balanced' their budget. Totally leaving out that the federal money they get back is greater than they put in, lol. Better budget a bit better, Texas, lol..

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Humm just how would that effect the GOP. 

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I told my husband that the way Texas needs to do this is to just start rejecting all federal money.  From what I've read, they've already rejected it in their public school systems.

LIMom1105
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Quoting Dabberdoo:

I told my husband that the way Texas needs to do this is to just start rejecting all federal money.  From what I've read, they've already rejected it in their public school systems.

And I'm sure all the retirees advocating secession now will fly the coop when they realize this means no more Social Security or Medicare. 

owl0210
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Fabulous? On the contrary considering the blue states you mention have higher education rates and less people below the poverty level.

Quoting Billiejeens:

I have read this petition thing before, and I have what I believe is a much superior idea (of course).

If you go to a party and someone(s) can't be responsible, gets overly drunk, acts inappropriately, you don't leave the party, you make them leave the party.

We need a really good petition requesting that California, Oregon, and Washington in the West, and the New England States be forced to secede.

The country that would be left would be fabulous.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Yes they have, to the detriment of the school sytem here.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Texans have been talking about seceding for a while now. Don't worry cause they won't. But maybe if we are really lucky, we can get Rick Perry to secede and go somewhere else.  

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM
5 moms liked this

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/strip-citizenship-everyone-who-signed-petition-secede-and-exile-them/ZbMjcwPf

LOL a petition to strip the citizenship of anyone who signed any of those petitions. 

virgochild79
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm so embarrassed to live in this state (Texas). SMH.

Dabberdoo
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Yes they have, to the detriment of the school sytem here.

I don't know.  I don't see how school systems that ARE getting funds are in any better shape.  They are closing down schools here in Chicago its so bad.  The problem with schools isn't money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN