Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Affordable Care Act is not as harmful as you may think

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this

First of all, not very many people actually know what the ACA entails.

From KAISER HEALTH NEWS

Those Who Like The Health Law And Those Who Understand The Health Law

By Shefali S. Kulkarni

October 30th, 2012, 9:00 AM

Sure there are those who support the health care law, and those who want to repeal it. But how many people in the U.S. actually understand the Affordable Care Act?

That’s what a Stanford University professor asked in a nationwide survey in collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, GfK and the Associated Press.

The survey, which was conducted in 2010 and in 2012, showed more than 2,000 participants 18 different statements about the health care law. Twelve of those statements correctly portrayed provisions of the law and six of them were false. Participants were also asked to how certain they were of each of their answers.

Jon Krosnick, a social psychologist and a professor of communication and political science at Stanford University and a co-author of the report on the survey, said no one identified all 18 statements correctly on either the 2010 or the 2012 survey. Still, in 2012, the survey found fairly high numbers of correct responses. For instance, 80 percent of respondents knew that the law allowed adult children to stay on parents’ health plans and that companies with more than 50 employees are required to provide coverage to workers.

But the researchers pointed out that those results were not authoritative since participants may have been guessing. That is why they included the question about the participants’ certainty in their answers. “When taking into account people’s certainty ratings, we observed much lower levels of accurate knowledge…,” they write. “Indeed, only one provision was correctly identified with high certainty as being part of the ACA by a majority of respondents. Fifty-two percent … correctly said with high certainty that children under the age of 26 could get health insurance by being included on their parents’ health insurance policies. All other provisions of the law were correctly identified with high certainty by less than 40 percent of Americans.”

Second, "Obamacare" as many call it, may not be the job killer many believe (once again look above and see that many already don't know portions if any of the ACA correctly).

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/104791/gruber-care-act-job-killing#

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Bless your heart.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm in favor of reform but not with everything this act entails.  Increases in premiums are already being felt and that's not a good thing.  My daughter is in college in NC (where students are required to have health ins in order to attend a four year college).  She elected to take the student ins coverage when she first started three years ago because it was a great policy and only cost $700 a year.  This semester the coverage decreased but the premium doubled.  The company cited the reason as the Healthcare Act which required they up a maximum coverage.  Now whether it's actually due to the healthcare act or just the ins company wanted more money, I'm not sure, but it did increase the premiums since this company knows those students are required to have the coverage.  Once the full act goes into effect I'm afraid we'll see more of this from ins companies and that will hurt us all. 

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM
5 moms liked this

Blogs, Facebook memes, and Tweets are NOT credible sources.

They are Opinion Pieces....and should be treated as such.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I have posted this Link before it is in Plain english and explains the law pretty well what is active now what will be active in the Future.  And how it may be benefiting your family already.

Here is it again if you care enough to read it.

Read The Law.

I know this would help some of my Friends too that have no Health Insurance now. Most of it will be run By Your States not the Fed.

My Doctors believe in Reform. And Scred Heart Now Peace Health in Eugene Oregon is ready to embrace this law and believe it will help.

Stuff needs to be Fixed in it everyone including the President admits that this is a Starting Point and after 44 years of trying to get it started now it on the books.  But read it and understand it. This is not happening today some of it is already helping People like my son with cronic health care issues and some of my elderly relatives. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I missed this point yesterday, sarwy fans.

The AHCA has gone from - greatest salvation of the country in Medical history, so important that Congressional rules had to be broken, Congressman bribed and the Constitution trashed to pass it.

To - Hey you all it is not near as harmful as you think.

Wow way to sell it.

ratchetlee
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM
12 moms liked this

Um.... yeah... I've read the majority of it.... and as a nurse and my husband in health care as well..... this is a disaster!!!!  I can't even address all the problems.  I am NOT against healthcare reform, but this addresses ZERO of the real issues.  and it only drives health care costs up...... I don't know how people can't see this.... 

It's sad.  We've turned our HEALTH CARE over to the government to control..... and no one sees this as a problem.  The government has failed in almost everything they get their hands on...... so instead of allowing physicians and REAL medical professionals control their practices thru the free market........ the government will fix it?!?!?!?  yeah, right!!!!!

Medicare and Medicaid are already miserable failures.....and our country is broke...... UGH! 

itsmesteph11
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Guess you didn't notice (maybe you just didn't understand it) that practically every paragraph  says something about the secretary determines this, that or another. That my dears means this is an open ended law that can and will change at the "secretaries" will.  It's already over it's promised budget and will continue to rise. Don't think for a minute anyone who actually has insurance will benefit by this debacle. Healthcare will not get cheaper and the insurance won't either, before or after you are in the intended "exchanges".  It's not even going to cover everyone.  Lots of suckers walking around these days. All I have to say is if there is something you don't like you had better be all over your Senators and Representatives. This law may be here in name but it can be changed in body. Either through congress or the courts.

Quoting ratchetlee:

Um.... yeah... I've read the majority of it.... and as a nurse and my husband in health care as well..... this is a disaster!!!!  I can't even address all the problems.  I am NOT against healthcare reform, but this addresses ZERO of the real issues.  and it only drives health care costs up...... I don't know how people can't see this.... 

It's sad.  We've turned our HEALTH CARE over to the government to control..... and no one sees this as a problem.  The government has failed in almost everything they get their hands on...... so instead of allowing physicians and REAL medical professionals control their practices thru the free market........ the government will fix it?!?!?!?  yeah, right!!!!!

Medicare and Medicaid are already miserable failures.....and our country is broke...... UGH! 

night.magic
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

bump for later

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like you have been indoctrinated by the good intentions of the left, but not the facts, the finances, and the economic ramifications of Obamacare.

The only problems with "The Affordable Care Act" (ie, Obamacare) are that it is not affordable, nor does it provide good care for all seniors and really sick people. Other than that, it's fine.

Why doesn't Obama wait until the economy is on its feet again? Why do this in the midst of a recession, when we don't have enough money for programs we already have?? 

If it were affordable, employers would not be forced by rapidly increasing costs to lay off thousands of workers prior to the January 1, 2013, effective date of Obamacare. I seriously doubt these laid off workers now view Obamacare as affordable. And employers and economists have been warning the Obama administration of these ramifications for 4 years.

And why would Obamacare appoint a panel of 19 non-elected individuals whose sole job is to continually decrease the cost of healthcare? This means not providing care in some cases. In some countries like the UK, this leads to some seniors and sick people being denied appropriate medical care and sometimes left to die, when the correct treatment would save their lives. In other countries like Canada, citizens wait months for tests, procedures, and surgery that would take a day to a couple of weeks in the US.  

People in other countries flock to the the US for medical care, describing America as "the Cadillac of healthcare", even as they tout their own healthcare systems at home. America develops the vast majority of new medications and treatments, because so far, our government has valued and promoted funding this medical R&D. Leaders of other healthcare systems in the world even say they hope this continues, because their healthcare systems have no funding for it, and because the world's medical research and development will suffer and will not have nearly the number of health advances without the US taking the lead. This may not be possible in the future.

So improve the system, provide healthcare for the uninsured who can't afford it. But don't dismantle the excellent healthcare 85% of Americans enjoy.

And, if Obamacare were so great, why does the law exempt all our federal government leaders?  You would think President Obama himself, the VP, and the Supreme Court justices, would clamor to be covered by Obamacare. And the Senators and Congressmen and women who all voted for it would jump at the chance to dump their current crappy insurance and experience Obamacare too. Paul Ryan was willing to do this, but not any liberals, not even DWS. I wonder why??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)