Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pro-Family

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

Can someone please explain to me what Pro-Family means?  I've seen it a lot recently and I'm not sure what it means precisely.  I don't really think anyone would be anti-family...  Well, some men I know are pretty anti-responsibility or anti-condoms or anti child support, but I don't think that's what it means.  LOL.

Thanks!

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Favoring traditional families and family values...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM

pro–fam·i·ly

adjective \ˌprō-ˈfam-lē, -ˈfa-mə-\

Definition of PRO-FAMILY

: favoring or encouraging traditional family structures and values
: opposing abortion and often birth control
_Kissy_
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone should be entitled to a family.

doulaloveme
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hm.  That's good to know.  Thanks.

rnchelle93
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM
To me, and as I understand it, pro family means for the family unit, whatever that unit might include.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It's not about intentions - everyone is for families.

Pro-family legislation is about policies that result in positive effects for children, parents, and their fun aunts and uncles. Parents' values on how to raise their kids are supported.  The schools would not teach our kids things that counter the efforts of their parents (eg, kids wouldn't be taught that their religion is wrong, and that a particular political view is right or wrong. They wouldn't be taught that abortion is right, or that they should sing songs about any president (like Obama in 2008). Parental choice in education of their kids is of utmost importance. So rather than voting against charter schools or school vouchers, or being against kids in poor areas attending better public schools, which many poor parents desperately want, or legislating against home schooling, pro-family legislation supports the rights of parents to make the decisions in the best interest of their children's education, not forcing them to send their child to a failing public school. Pro-family legislation also seeks to improve welfare to work, and creating  jobs so that able-bodied poor people - especially men - can get into the workforce and be less likely to get into problems with the law. Another pro-family position is to prosecute and adequately punish criminals for violent crimes. Three Strikes was a law designed to take repeat offense criminals off the street instead of frequent flyer prison sentences, where criminals  go back into society and commit violent crimes, sometimes even murder. 

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Wow, I didn't know about some of these definitions of pro-family.

But there is no way in hell I'm ceding the word "family" to the fundamentalists who claim to support family values when they in fact support policies that undermine family stability and long-term family well-being.

I am pro-family.  I'm pro policies that are pro-family stability.  I'm also pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-mandatory early education, and pro-direct subsidies to families as a way to increase family stability.

thecoffeefairy
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM
That is nonsense! It's suggesting that if you disagree with their views your anti- family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)