Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Limbaugh: ‘I am the primary reason’ Mitt Romney lost

Posted by   + Show Post

Republican shock jock Rush Limbaugh covers his face as an ex-Marine calls him a "Nazi" during a radio segment in 2009. Screenshot via YouTube.

Republican shock jock Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday that he accepts responsibility for Mitt Romney’s loss in the 2012 presidential election.

“Just as I predicted, ladies and gentlemen,” he said. “This election was lost because of your host, Rush Limbaugh. I am the primary reason.”

While that’s not exactly correct, Limbaugh was in fact the first big target of one of President Barack Obama’s principle reelection strategies: winning with women.

When he called Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” and a “prostitute” in March, prompting a personal rebuke by Obama, it ignited a rhetorical fuse that burned straight through election day.

It’s a long held addage in American politics that if you cannot win with women, you cannot win at all. And after high profile Republicans made a series of idiotic comments about rape, birth control, abortion and other issues of importance to women, Obama ultimately took 55 percent of the female vote versus Mitt Romney’s 44, even though Romney won among Caucasians and married women. As the Gallup polling firm explained, it was the largest gender gap in U.S. electoral history, and its beneficiary was primarily President Obama.

Of course, that’s not exactly how Rush sees it.

“There are others, but I’m the primary reason the Republican Party lost,” he added. “And I am, by the way, the primary reason the Republican Party will keep losing, until I am denounced by the Republican Party.”

The longtime radio talker explained that the GOP’s “ruling class” now believes their only shot at winning future presidential elections is to appeal to Latino voters as much as possible despite his wishes, which he claimed to be representative of what he called the “country class.”

“Do you really think that the democrat party will ever allow you Republicans to be seen as pro-Latino and pro-immigration?” Limbaugh asked. “If you do, you are incompetent and unqualified.” He added: “The media and the Democrats will always find a way to say that you are anti-immigrant.”

Of course, in order for the media or Democrats to accomplish that, all they’d have to do is play some of Limbaugh’s old clips.

The Obama campaign even previewed this strategy in 2008, cutting a Spanish-language ad tying Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) to some of Limbaugh’s more extreme anti-immigrant quotes, like the time he called undocumented workers “stupid and unskilled.”

As the Republicans eye a drastic policy flip-flop from promoting “self deportation” to potentially backing a pathway to citizenship, the perception of Limbaugh as a liability is only likely to grow. That’s especially true given Obama’s overwhelming victory with Latinos, 72 percent of whom voted Democratic in the last presidential election.

This audio is from “The Rush Limbaugh Show,” broadcast Tuesday, November 13, 2012, as snipped by Mediaite.

Raw Story (http://s.tt/1ti9I)
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Replies (71-72):
redvelvet42
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

@ billiejeans: for your information i am a former rush limbaugh listener! i listened to his show from roughly 1993/ 1994 until 2008. i also subcribed to his newletter. i am a former listener to sean hannity and bill o'reilly as well. and i still receive the hiilsdale college magazine as recommended by sean hannity....

so, watch who you are calling an idiot! because i am not the one!! if i post someting you do not like ignore it, don't read it , but the name calling is unnecessary.

thecoffeefairy
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM
The government isn't paying. She is paying her INSURANCE and they now don't require a copayment. That is all. Even if the government DID pay it, it's cheaper than the alternative of her getting pregnant and receiving welfare. It's just cost effective.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

I am sorry I make no qualms about using that word when earned. Why should the govt pay for her contraceptives? Tell me ONE good reason I dare you. She is by all means a capable working woman with steady income, right? Go get a perscription for $4 at Wallmart like I said. Why is $4 a month a big deal?

Quoting romalove:

Your language is almost as foul as your thought process. I am sad for you.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

yep what is your point? If she is really spending thousands on contraceptives (which are $4 at Wallmart) then she needs to use better judgement with how many men she is sleeping with. Sorry!

Quoting romalove:

You are a mother???

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Well Sandra Fluke is a cunt! I mean seriously how much screwing is she doing? Sorry this whole war on women thing is riduculous. That is his whole point is what the media is making it out to be. Yep that is it "oh my God there are going to be no more contraceptives!" Holy fing shit now we can't  screw all the guys we want! Nevermind there are things called drugstores and things called hospitals where you can still get your BC and your abortions. So women are ignorant for thinking that would have changed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN