Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hoping Republicans Learned A Lesson About Social Issues

Posted by   + Show Post

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/146254/heres_hoping_the_republicans_learned?ct=momsmatter_featured&p=1&cid=6011

Social issues can overturn pocketbook issues when you are leery of the candidates personal views.Republicans need to rethink alienating voters  who would have otherwise voted for Romney.

It wasnt for the goodies....it was about character and integrity.America wanted a president for all people not just those viewed by conservatives worthy to be American.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

They will double down on the crazy rhetoric but when it comes right down to it what choice will they have?  We already know they won't vote for a dem, most of them wouldn't dare "waste their vote" by voting third party.  In the end no matter how moderate the republican candidate is they will vote republican.  I suppose they could decide to stay home and not vote. 

Quoting timeforprogress:

Isn't the socially conservative base still going to be an issue?  From what I can tell these folks are doubling down on the crazy rhetoric. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

IDK...I think that the leadership and strategists are seeing that they do need a new strategy. I imagine there will be focus groups and polls and studies over the next couple of years that will show that the majority of Amercans want less religion in government, not more. I'm predicting a more moderate candidate in 2016.

Quoting Peanutx3:

No sadly I don't think the republican party learned anything.  I fear we will see a much more conservative candidate in 4 years and that candidate will lose again to whatever candidate the dems put up.  The republican party, in order to survive or be relevant, needs to chose a candidate that appeals to those of us who are more in the center.  Lets face it the religious right will not vote for a dem so what does the republican party have to lose by putting up a more moderate candidate?

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Its not in the general election that they seem to hold so much influence.  Romney mad the leap towards the center once he was nominated.  I just don't see how the GOP is going to prevent the primary voters from holding the power that they do.  Look at all the moderate Congressional candidates that lost in their primaries to right wing candidates. 

Quoting Peanutx3:

They will double down on the crazy rhetoric but when it comes right down to it what choice will they have?  We already know they won't vote for a dem, most of them wouldn't dare "waste their vote" by voting third party.  In the end no matter how moderate the republican candidate is they will vote republican.  I suppose they could decide to stay home and not vote. 

Quoting timeforprogress:

Isn't the socially conservative base still going to be an issue?  From what I can tell these folks are doubling down on the crazy rhetoric. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

IDK...I think that the leadership and strategists are seeing that they do need a new strategy. I imagine there will be focus groups and polls and studies over the next couple of years that will show that the majority of Amercans want less religion in government, not more. I'm predicting a more moderate candidate in 2016.

Quoting Peanutx3:

No sadly I don't think the republican party learned anything.  I fear we will see a much more conservative candidate in 4 years and that candidate will lose again to whatever candidate the dems put up.  The republican party, in order to survive or be relevant, needs to chose a candidate that appeals to those of us who are more in the center.  Lets face it the religious right will not vote for a dem so what does the republican party have to lose by putting up a more moderate candidate?

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that as the demographics of our nation change, the party will need to find a new base. I put forth for consideration: fiscally conservative social moderates. ;-)

Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momsince1989
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I hope America learned a lesson not to trust Republicans until they get their act together!

Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Never happen. Most of them believe it's their right and duty to force their morals on everyone else. That's what their god would want.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I do not watch MSNBC Stupid.  But maybe you should stop drinking the Fox New TEA.

RigPrincess85
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a scary thought isn't it?  :(

Quoting 4kid z916:

Unfortunately my daughter will be one of those youth coming out of college.  I'm really afraid for her future and so is she.  

Quoting Carpy:

I hope the next four years teach the youth of this nation a lesson.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the only thing I have learned in this election is that more people voted for themselves than voted for the whole. 

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I voted for the Middle Class of Americans not the Elite that thought the could buy and election.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

A moderate GOP, aka a RINO cannot win. We've tried it the last 2 elections. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN