Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney: Obama Won Election By Buying Off Minorities And Young Voters With “Gifts”…

Posted by   + Show Post

(WZ)

Free stuff.

Via NY Times:

A week after losing the election to President Obama, Mitt Romney blamed his overwhelming electoral loss on what he said were big “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call on Wednesday afternoon with his national finance committee, Mr. Romney said that the president had followed the “old playbook” of wooing specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people,” Mr. Romney explained — with targeted gifts and initiatives.

“In each case they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest, was a big gift,” he said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he added, was also a useful tool in mobilizing African-American and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers — 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics voted to re-elect Mr. Obama.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity, I mean, this is huge,” he said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Replies (231-238):
annabl1970
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM
I am wondering what she is going to do, if some one " discovers" her secret, and hire two three workers and produce more, bring the price down, and thus will sell faster and more...

Quoting chanizen:

Sure. Whatever. I simply don't believe you. Not that you can't do that now, but you can predict a stable and protected market for the long term.

I know of very few industries that have a 15 year prediction of growth and success.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Sorry. Miss Nosey Nancy, I would tell you. But, that is not any of your business. I will tell you that I have 2 separate businesses. Both are very successful! Even in the economic mess that we find ourselves in. I am able to support my family in the lifestyle that we very much enjoy. I close (completely) for the month of June so that we can travel and visit family. I do not have employees. Because I don't want the added expenses or the headaches. I own my workshop and store. When I go to work, I only have to put on my bunny slippers and walk about 20 feet.

For my first business, it costs me $.20 an ounce to make. And I sell for $1.00 an ounce wholesale with a $200.00 minimum order. I have 10 wholesale accounts that order monthly and 3 that order weekly. I close in December and June.

My other business, my average order of $24.00 costs me $.45. And I have an average of 100 in a week. I do take this business to the mall for Black Friday and Saturday, and Thursday, Friday and Saturday up to until Christmas Eve. Last year, I brought in close to $50,000 from the mall sales.. I close in June. Oh, and this business is mostly cash only! HA!

And I have looked into hiring employees for the wholesale business. We sit down with our accountant every June. And as I said, I don't want the added expense. And my recipe is the secret. And only one other person know it. Hiring employees would mean that I would still have to mix my product. Which I do now. So, why bother?

So, again. Don't you worry about me or my kids. They will be just fine! Thank you!

Quoting chanizen:

The bailout was necessary. Because of his war and reduction of oversight.

And funny he didn't use a veto on that one. Hmmmmmm. He must have approved.

And. Sorry, but what exactly does your business produce?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Don't worry one bit about my kids. I have a very successful business. If my kids want a job, they are welcome to work with me.

Middle class jobs will continue to disappear because of Obamacare.

Bush signed the Bailout, after Congress voted and passed it.

Quoting chanizen:

How long until healthcare reaches1/3 of the national budget?  Because by all analyst accounts, that has been on track to happen AND bring our country to its knees.  Then who will have healthcare?  The wealthy who pay little in taxes.

Who have grown in wealth during this Economic down turn.  Rich got richer, poor got poorer. How long will our country continue to allow the rich to pay a lower percentage of taxes, while shipping jobs over seas?

Do you think YOUR kids will have middle class job options available?  If your child loses their job, can YOU afford to pay for their healthcare (do you even know what it would cost)

Middle class jobs are disappearing.  They are being shipped to india and china.  

Healthcare was rising and the cost of oil was as well... During BUSH's term.  The bank bailout.... During BUSH's term.  Why?  War is EXPENSIVE.  Making enemies is EXPENSIVE.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Congress approved the war. And everything has gone up during Obama's first term. His second term hasn't even started yet and how many will lose their jobs due to his health care?

Quoting chanizen:

Interstingly enough, the same was said about Clinton. Who managed a budget surplus which was reinvested to save ss, did NOT start a war. Like Bush st and George W.

Funny that.

And my healthcare cost out of pocket flew through the roof during the Bush era. Employers could not keep up. So they passed it on. At the end of Bush, my take home pay to healthcare cost was far less.

Wake up. If you want to control healthcare costs and have your kids be able to afford it, it MUST be managed. Standardized.

Or we put people out on the streets with ear infections that kill kids, heart problems that are fixable in young adults, and forget grandma's hip replacement.

Better be ready to have happy acres retirement in your home. Or we decide as a society on a basic level what we must have to support that level of hard heartlessness.

Go to Peru. You can't pay.... You die. You can't pay, your kids die.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Let's wait and see what the numbers are at the end of 8 years of Obama.

Quoting Braylen1215:

Some seem to forget that Bushwack Bush was even president! Afterall, food stamps, Medicaide, Medicare, homelessness, and welfare INCREASED during Bush's presidency due to many service families were W/O when the war began. Some made it home damaged from the war and some NEVER made it back home alive. Their families went on welfare since some had PTSD, medical issues, and just simplied fucked up from fighting a SENSELESS war and cannot function on a day-to-day basics. And they went through hell and back here in the US trying to get help for their families.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chanizen
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure! Or if another company gets in on the gig. Any number of ways companies fail. Even good ones. And I would never assume I have a lock on a market while my company is that small.

Overall my take is: as a society the US needs to deal with basic healthcare. Also, there is a need for some social programs or mental health and the disabled. While ppaca may not be the answer, healthcare must be dealt with. Because lets be honest, until we turn people away from ERs, or let the old and infirm die in the streets, we HAVE a social healthcare plan.

I tend to be fiscally conservative. But I think the republican party has gone to far with enabling the ultra wealthy and shoving religion down my throat. Which, for me, means I cannot vote republican. Wish I could. There are some moderate republicans (scott brown in mass, Olympia snow from Maine)which I would vote for. I don't believe in large government. But nor do I believe in a self-serving religious government.

:)

Quoting annabl1970:

I am wondering what she is going to do, if some one " discovers" her secret, and hire two three workers and produce more, bring the price down, and thus will sell faster and more...

Quoting chanizen:

Sure. Whatever. I simply don't believe you. Not that you can't do that now, but you can predict a stable and protected market for the long term.

I know of very few industries that have a 15 year prediction of growth and success.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Sorry. Miss Nosey Nancy, I would tell you. But, that is not any of your business. I will tell you that I have 2 separate businesses. Both are very successful! Even in the economic mess that we find ourselves in. I am able to support my family in the lifestyle that we very much enjoy. I close (completely) for the month of June so that we can travel and visit family. I do not have employees. Because I don't want the added expenses or the headaches. I own my workshop and store. When I go to work, I only have to put on my bunny slippers and walk about 20 feet.

For my first business, it costs me $.20 an ounce to make. And I sell for $1.00 an ounce wholesale with a $200.00 minimum order. I have 10 wholesale accounts that order monthly and 3 that order weekly. I close in December and June.

My other business, my average order of $24.00 costs me $.45. And I have an average of 100 in a week. I do take this business to the mall for Black Friday and Saturday, and Thursday, Friday and Saturday up to until Christmas Eve. Last year, I brought in close to $50,000 from the mall sales.. I close in June. Oh, and this business is mostly cash only! HA!

And I have looked into hiring employees for the wholesale business. We sit down with our accountant every June. And as I said, I don't want the added expense. And my recipe is the secret. And only one other person know it. Hiring employees would mean that I would still have to mix my product. Which I do now. So, why bother?

So, again. Don't you worry about me or my kids. They will be just fine! Thank you!

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Don't worry one bit about my kids. I have a very successful business. If my kids want a job, they are welcome to work with me.

Quoting chanizen:

How long until healthcare reaches1/3 of the national budget?  Because by all analyst accounts, that has been on track to happen AND bring our country to its knees.  Then who will have healthcare?  The wealthy who pay little in taxes.

Who have grown in wealth during this Economic down turn.  Rich got richer, poor got poorer. How long will our country continue to allow the rich to pay a lower percentage of taxes, while shipping jobs over seas?

Do you think YOUR kids will have middle class job options available?  If your child loses their job, can YOU afford to pay for their healthcare (do you even know what it would cost)

Healthcare was rising and the cost of oil was as well... During BUSH's term.  The bank bailout.... During BUSH's term.  Why?  War is EXPENSIVE.  Making enemies is EXPENSIVE.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Congress approved the war. And everything has gone up during Obama's first term. His second term hasn't even started yet and how many will lose their jobs due to his health care?

Quoting chanizen:

Interstingly enough, the same was said about Clinton. Who managed a budget surplus which was reinvested to save ss, did NOT start a war. Like Bush st and George W.

Funny that.

And my healthcare cost out of pocket flew through the roof during the Bush era. Employers could not keep up. So they passed it on. At the end of Bush, my take home pay to healthcare cost was far less.

Wake up. If you want to control healthcare costs and have your kids be able to afford it, it MUST be managed. Standardized.

Or we put people out on the streets with ear infections that kill kids, heart problems that are fixable in young adults, and forget grandma's hip replacement.

Better be ready to have happy acres retirement in your home. Or we decide as a society on a basic level what we must have to support that level of hard heartlessness.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting Braylen1215:

Some seem to forget that Bushwack Bush was even president! Afterall, food stamps, Medicaide, Medicare, homelessness, and welfare INCREASED during Bush's presidency due to many service families were W/O when the war began. Some made it home damaged from the war and some NEVER made it back home alive. Their families went on welfare since some had PTSD, medical issues, and just simplied fucked up from fighting a SENSELESS war and cannot function on a day-to-day basics. And they went through hell and back here in the US trying to get help for their families.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

bow down

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting imamomzilla:

The famous words from President John F Kennedy...do not ask what your Country can do for you but what you can do for your Country seems to be a distant memory. Many Americans voted for Barack Obama because they are more concerned about what America can do for them~

cbk_mom3
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh, I have no doubt whatsoever that is true.

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Me neither! ;-)

How disappointed do you think they'll be when they find out the well went dry?

Quoting cbk_mom3:

cbk_mom3
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

They're minions, they aren't going to care, and will keep making excuses for him. That's the effects of the Kool-aid. ;-)

Quoting imamomzilla:

Me neither! ;-)

How disappointed do you think they'll be when they find out the well went dry?

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I have other "added expenses" that I decide how much and where. I donate my tme and my product to womens' shelters every month. I donate 20% to charities. So, yea, I am too busy caring about my profit. Which I use to take care of my family.

Not and never was a Romney supporter!

Quoting annabl1970:

Chani, it's only me, or you notice too, how the supporters of Romney preach about creating jobs, but when it comes " walk the walk", they do not want "added expenses"
Ugh, If only the business owners understand that "added expence" is essential for creating strong middle class and bust economy :( sigh not gonna happen! They are too busy, caring about their profit.

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Funny that.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting Braylen1215:

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I wish whoever does tons of success. It is not hard. Just patience and common sense. I have even given several some tips. I have given out the basic recipe because that is what was given to me. I have decided that I want to open and close my store around my childrens' schedule. That is not something I can do with employees.

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting chanizen:

Funny that.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Quoting Braylen1215:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)