Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Romney: Obama Won Election By Buying Off Minorities And Young Voters With “Gifts”…

Posted by   + Show Post

(WZ)

Free stuff.

Via NY Times:

A week after losing the election to President Obama, Mitt Romney blamed his overwhelming electoral loss on what he said were big “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call on Wednesday afternoon with his national finance committee, Mr. Romney said that the president had followed the “old playbook” of wooing specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people,” Mr. Romney explained — with targeted gifts and initiatives.

“In each case they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest, was a big gift,” he said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he added, was also a useful tool in mobilizing African-American and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers — 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics voted to re-elect Mr. Obama.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity, I mean, this is huge,” he said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Raising minimum wage will make things go even higher. I have a business. If my costs are raised, I will pass it on to my customers. So, yes, we must raise minimum wage!

Quoting tairakittie:

What about those who do work but still cant afford those things? If you havent noticed, all those things are becoming more and more expensive yet the minimum wage hasnt gone up... Trust me, it is not "free" for everyone and very few people actually abuse the system...

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Spot on! Why vote for the man that will make you go to work and take away your free food, cash, housing, medical care, etc?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

What's ironic is that the man who would have "created" more jobs  (for taxpayers to pay taxes)  to keep these programs afloat was not voted in..and if they think taxing the rich is going to do it...it wont.  No jobs..no taxes..no taxes no programs..then what?  Well, we'll see what happens up the road..

I am hoping for 1930's depression era, horror.

A heroin addict has to hit rock bottom, before they will seek help.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

What's ironic is that the man who would have "created" more jobs  (for taxpayers to pay taxes)  to keep these programs afloat was not voted in..and if they think taxing the rich is going to do it...it wont.  No jobs..no taxes..no taxes no programs..then what?  Well, we'll see what happens up the road..

I am hoping for 1930's depression era, horror.

A heroin addict has to hit rock bottom, before they will seek help.

These voters had two elections..HOW does one mess up on TWO chances..gah!!

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep, share the wealth. It is only fair to the poor saps that have no desire to work hard and better themselves for their families.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That's true, if one works and can't afford everything they want, their neighbors should absolutely pay to get them some.

Quoting tairakittie:

What about those who do work but still cant afford those things? If you havent noticed, all those things are becoming more and more expensive yet the minimum wage hasnt gone up... Trust me, it is not "free" for everyone and very few people actually abuse the system...

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Spot on! Why vote for the man that will make you go to work and take away your free food, cash, housing, medical care, etc?

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
3 moms liked this

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

That is suprising. Since most liberals are just spoon fed crap and vomit it back up as fact.

Quoting tairakittie:

I dont have cable. I read.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting tairakittie:

And? Is he jealous that all the rich white men just werent enough to vote him into office? Maybe all those people didnt want a president who flat out said those people are not his intrest or problem...

Turn off MSNBC it is not good for your brain cells.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this

Strong denial isn't going to get a Republican elected in 2016.  You can't change what you won't acknowledge.

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not teach people how to garden so that they can grow their own food? And why the hell should a doctor work for free? Unless you expect to support the doctors too. Who are you to tell someone what they can earn to make a living?

Quoting tairakittie:

They arent, bt if people would stop being so selfish and help those in need when they can, less people would be in need and more people would have the things they needed when they needed them. Why cant we grow food to give to people for free? Why cant doctors practice for the good of man and not for a profit? If more people ate well, less people would be sick. If more people had decent food and a roof over their heeds, maybe theyd be less likely to fill the streets or resort to crime or violence. Maybe if wr focused on taking care of the people instead of worrying about profit, there would be less war... But hey, im just a silly hippie who doesnt know anything about whats going down on tv.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Either way, how are they your neighbors problem?

Quoting tairakittie:

So food, housing and health care are wants and not basic needs, gotcha!! I'll remember to tell that to all the homeless people and underpriveledged kids I see.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That's true, if one works and can't afford everything they want, their neighbors should absolutely pay to get them some.

Quoting tairakittie:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, let me stay home on my big butt and eat my cheese balls all day. Mr. Obama is going to give me all I need.

Quoting rccmom:

Or we could all use real logic, and look at what the American people really meant by their vote.  

notonepercenter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this

Romney tried his best to buy his way into office, with the help of his uber-wealthy buds and his church, but failed.  The problem(s) with his stategy is he just got donations, to the tune of billions of dollars from other rich white guys, like himself.  Those dollars may have better served being thrown into a fire to warm the homeless.  However, it is somewhat satisfying to see the faces of the extremely rich supporters of Romney, when they realized how much money they just pissed away!  Obama, as Zilla wants to point out, actually encouraged voters to support him, by showing his support for them.  That's called team work!  Funny how you try to turn something positive into something so nasty.  Take comfort in the fact that your support of Romney was right on, because you seem as far out of touch with reality as he does.  America spoke - time to listen!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)