Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney: Obama Won Election By Buying Off Minorities And Young Voters With “Gifts”…

Posted by   + Show Post

(WZ)

Free stuff.

Via NY Times:

A week after losing the election to President Obama, Mitt Romney blamed his overwhelming electoral loss on what he said were big “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call on Wednesday afternoon with his national finance committee, Mr. Romney said that the president had followed the “old playbook” of wooing specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people,” Mr. Romney explained — with targeted gifts and initiatives.

“In each case they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest, was a big gift,” he said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he added, was also a useful tool in mobilizing African-American and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers — 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics voted to re-elect Mr. Obama.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity, I mean, this is huge,” he said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Replies (41-50):
Refurbished
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

This is the sort of thing that makes people feel better when they lose but it does very little to actually delineate why Romney lost.  It makes no sense to say that Obama won because of hand-outs when he lost vote of the poorest states and won the richest. 

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Silly black people, hispanics, and young women. . .

How dare they vote for their economic interests!

We all know that's something that only rich white men are allowed to do.

notonepercenter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

What's ironic is that the man who would have "created" more jobs  (for taxpayers to pay taxes)  to keep these programs afloat was not voted in..and if they think taxing the rich is going to do it...it wont.  No jobs..no taxes..no taxes no programs..then what?  Well, we'll see what happens up the road..

I am hoping for 1930's depression era, horror.

A heroin addict has to hit rock bottom, before they will seek help.

That's a great thing to hope for, you sick fuck!  Spoken like a true extremist.  Speaking of heroin addicts, how bout turning your back on Rush, instead of your fellow Americans. 

ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Free cell phones for low income started under Bush

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Spot on! Why vote for the man that will make you go to work and take away your free food, cash, housing, medical care, etc?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting notonepercenter:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

What's ironic is that the man who would have "created" more jobs  (for taxpayers to pay taxes)  to keep these programs afloat was not voted in..and if they think taxing the rich is going to do it...it wont.  No jobs..no taxes..no taxes no programs..then what?  Well, we'll see what happens up the road..

I am hoping for 1930's depression era, horror.

A heroin addict has to hit rock bottom, before they will seek help.

That's a great thing to hope for, you sick fuck!  Spoken like a true extremist.  Speaking of heroin addicts, how bout turning your back on Rush, instead of your fellow Americans. 

That doesn't sound much like compromise.

Did you remember to bring your list of core values that you are willing to abandon to help your fellow Americans for the other thread?

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Sure, cause that is how 8 of the 10 richest counties that voted for Obama made their money. The GOP is very good at lying to themselves. Unfortunately for them, they aren't nearly as good as lying to the rest of the country.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Yep, let me stay home on my big butt and eat my cheese balls all day. Mr. Obama is going to give me all I need.

Quoting rccmom:

Or we could all use real logic, and look at what the American people really meant by their vote.  

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not blaming any one. But, I seriously doubt that anyone that believes in hard work and personal responsibilty voted for Obama. And I doubt that anyone who expects the government to take care of them by sending their welfare check and foodstamps voted for Romney. Can't hide from the facts.

Quoting rccmom:

Face it, Romney got the white vote, and the born again evangelical vote, and that was it. 8 of the 10 richest counties voted Obama. The majority of women voted Obama, Hispanics, Blacks, the Youth, Protestants, CAtholics, and Jews voted Obama by a majority. Your guy had a problem, and it wasn't Obama promising free stuff, it was your message, and your messenger.  Figure out what you did wrong and stop blaming someone else. 

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Spot on! Why vote for the man that will make you go to work and take away your free food, cash, housing, medical care, etc?

tairakittie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Im saying its the greed behind money that put us where we are to begin with. How are people suppose to garden when they dont have or cant afford a place to live? How are people suppose to buy seeds or plants if they can only afford a place to live on their paycheck? And again I bring up the point of less people being sick if more people ate well and lived well, which would mean less dependcy on pharmas and doctors, but unfortunately this idea takes money out of too many people pocket and the thought of having less to help others is just beyond them. Healthy, organic food is expensive, but it wouldnt have it be if everything was produced the natural, healthy way. But America is all about freedom, freedom to kill yourself however you please while the government attacks your paycheck and the CEOs, professional atheletes, and entertainers get to live the high life like everything is perfect in the world. Mmhmm. No, people are free to earn a living, youre right, but that applies to EVERYONE. I know plenty if HARD WORKING people who barely make enough to get by, while trying to better their lives, and they depend on assistance to do so, without it they wouldnt have the oppertunity to better themselves. The whole idea is flawed.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Why not teach people how to garden so that they can grow their own food? And why the hell should a doctor work for free? Unless you expect to support the doctors too. Who are you to tell someone what they can earn to make a living?

Quoting tairakittie:

They arent, bt if people would stop being so selfish and help those in need when they can, less people would be in need and more people would have the things they needed when they needed them. Why cant we grow food to give to people for free? Why cant doctors practice for the good of man and not for a profit? If more people ate well, less people would be sick. If more people had decent food and a roof over their heeds, maybe theyd be less likely to fill the streets or resort to crime or violence. Maybe if wr focused on taking care of the people instead of worrying about profit, there would be less war... But hey, im just a silly hippie who doesnt know anything about whats going down on tv.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Either way, how are they your neighbors problem?

Quoting tairakittie:

So food, housing and health care are wants and not basic needs, gotcha!! I'll remember to tell that to all the homeless people and underpriveledged kids I see.

Quoting Billiejeens:

That's true, if one works and can't afford everything they want, their neighbors should absolutely pay to get them some.

Quoting tairakittie:

What about those who do work but still cant afford those things? If you havent noticed, all those things are becoming more and more expensive yet the minimum wage hasnt gone up... Trust me, it is not "free" for everyone and very few people actually abuse the system...

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Which of these states are always red or blue? Your argument is baseless.

Quoting Refurbished:

This is the sort of thing that makes people feel better when they lose but it does very little to actually delineate why Romney lost.  It makes no sense to say that Obama won because of hand-outs when he lost vote of the poorest states and won the richest. 

Tashina12
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
4 moms liked this
This is not a jab at you, so don't take it that way.

But, why is it that when people don't agree with each other, it's always the other person's fault? Ex. They're out of touch. They don't research the facts. They just want free stuff. They just want the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer?

Why is it so hard to believe that there are other people out there like you (a general "you") that HAVE done their research and fact checked everything and gave both main candidates a fair and equal shot to explain their views and stances and why each would work better than the other? And after doing so, they came to a different informed conclusion than you. It's so hypocritical to generalize everyone who doesn't agree with you and vice versa.

I mean seriously, if people can't even have a civilized conversation on a mommy board and agree to disagree without calling each other names and generalizing everything, how in the world do we expect the government to work together civilly?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

That is suprising. Since most liberals are just spoon fed crap and vomit it back up as fact.

Quoting tairakittie:

I dont have cable. I read.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting tairakittie:

And? Is he jealous that all the rich white men just werent enough to vote him into office? Maybe all those people didnt want a president who flat out said those people are not his intrest or problem...

Turn off MSNBC it is not good for your brain cells.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN