Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Sorta O/T No more twinkies? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

Say it isn't so, my husband would be so devastated not to have those Hostess treats on a regular basis, well that and the loads.

http://www.kwch.com/business/kwch-hostess-ceo-gives-striking-workers-thursday-deadline-20121114,0,2860295.story

UPDATE, the curfew passed and now Hostess is going into Federal court tomorrow to try to start liquidation of the entire company. Companies can start closing as early as Tuesday.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/222134/314/Hostess-strike-continues-past-deadline?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|large

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I was just going to say that - Say it ain't so!  Twinkies are one of my most favorite snacks from being a child. :)

I don't understand that some people may overwhelmingly value certain benefits and perks of a job, more than the job itself. My oldest brother is a pilot, and part of a pilots union. Because of 9/11 and recessions, my bro and his colleagues have in the past 10 years or so, agreed to several cuts in pay and benefits, in order for pilots to keep their jobs. He wasn't thrilled about these cuts, but he loves and values his job more than these other things. In that situation, the union really did have the pilots' interest in mind, and was focused on them keeping their jobs.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced that this is the attitude of all unions. I think many union leaders are interested in keeping their own jobs. About 10 years ago, all three of the major supermarket chains in Southern California went on strike. They were protesting an increase in health insurance premiums and having to pay copayments, in addition to demanding a pay increase greater than the 4% offered by the companies. This was in the middle of a recession, and at the time when pretty much all workers started sharing in more of the cost of their health coverage because of the high annual inflation every year. The strike ended up lasting about 4 months. Union leaders similar to Mafia thugs intimidated would-be shoppers from entering the markets. I was reasonably afraid my tires would be slashed, so I used to park far away. Many other businesses siezed the opportunity. Drugstores, low end department stores like Target, even specialty food stores like Trader Joes, started carrying food and/or greatly expanded their offerings. The end result after 4 months is that the store workers got exactly the same benefits the union had rejected 4 months before, and they got no paycheck for 4 months. And these other stores stole something like 40-60% of the business from the grocery stores. Many of those customers enjoyed shopping at those other stores over 4 months, and have never gone back to the grocery stores. As a result, about 20% of the smaller grocery stores went out of business, and many workers at these and even the large stores lost their jobs within that year.  I do not believe these unions had the best interest of these grocery store workers in mind.

It is the same situation for these Hostess employees. I find it astounding that they are so recalcitrant, all the while knowing that if they continue to strike, not only will they lose their jobs, but their company will definitely go out of business. That seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM
5 moms liked this

When I was working for Steelcase the unions would come by ever so often to try to convince the employees to unionized. Thankfully, they were always overwhelmingly declined. People really think that the union is doing something positive for them when they are a huge cause of job loss. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

I was just going to say that - Say it ain't so!  Twinkies are one of my most favorite snacks from being a child.

I don't understand that some people may overwhelmingly value certain benefits and perks of a job, than the job itself. My oldest brother is a pilot, and part of a pilots union. Because of 9/11 and recessions, my bro and his colleagues have in the past 10 years or so, agreed to several cuts in pay and benefits, in order for pilots to keep their jobs. He wasn't thrilled about these cuts, but he values his job more than these other things.

It is the same situation for these Hostess employees. I find it astounding that they are so recalcitrant, all the while knowing that if they continue to strike, not only will they lose their jobs, but that their company will go out of business. That seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The end is near..

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Stockpile now, I hear they last forever lol. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The end is near..

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I've heard of people doing that. I'm detoxing right now so no Twinkies for me! I've actually lost 75 lbs since January. 

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The end is near..

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Wow, congrats that's a lot of weight you must feel quite liberated. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I've heard of people doing that. I'm detoxing right now so no Twinkies for me! I've actually lost 75 lbs since January. 

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The end is near..

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Never felt better or happier. 

dancing

Quoting Canvas_says:

Wow, congrats that's a lot of weight you must feel quite liberated. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The end is near..

imamomzilla
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
4 moms liked this

What a shame. Another company on the verge of collapse. Thanks Obama!

Wonder what they'll call the future Twinkies (made elsewhere)? Chinkies? LOL

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Speachless

Quoting imamomzilla:

What a shame. Another company on the verge of collapse. Thanks Obama!

Wonder what they'll call the future Twinkies (made elsewhere)? Chinkies? LOL

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

When I waited tables in college, a union guy came by the restaurant every payday, and said we owed union dues. I was naive and I paid him the dues. The funny thing is, I was only a part-time worker, so I was not even eligible for union benefits. Many of the other part-timers ignored him. But because I wanted to be honest - and was naive and did not realize he was lying to me - I paid him. I figured out much later he was a crook. And I paid him out of my tips. Cash. Dork! So I would have not been such a starving student if I had been more knowledgeable.

I think unions were well-intentioned when they started in the early 1900s, and ended such things as unsafe working conditions, overly long days, child labor, etc.  But many of them have developed into a racket where union bosses are paid as high or higher than CEOs, out of employee dues, and their interest appears to be scalping employers, resulting in businesses that are not competitive. Why else are many cars manufactured at a lower cost in other countries that do not have these American union costs? And they take the dues to support lobbying interests, political candidates, and proposed laws that many of these workers do not agree with. Employees are even forced to participate in political events for candidates they do not support. The modern day Mafia. And GOVERNMENT employee unions? This is outrageous. Government employees are already among the best paid in the country with luxury benefits and pensions that exist nowhere in the private sector. And all of these benefits are provided by our taxpayer dollars. No wonder we have such skyrocketing deficits and national debt. These very kinds of benefits - especially the pensions - are bankrupting many states. Why would they not bankrupt our federal government?  I like what Reagan did when the federal unionized air traffic controllers went on strike, threatening to grind American air travel to a halt. Reagan fired them all and hired new people.

Quoting Canvas_says:

When I was working for Steelcase the unions would come by ever so often to try to convince the employees to unionized. Thankfully, they were always overwhelmingly declined. People really think that the union is doing something positive for them when they are a huge cause of job loss. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

I was just going to say that - Say it ain't so!  Twinkies are one of my most favorite snacks from being a child.

I don't understand that some people may overwhelmingly value certain benefits and perks of a job, than the job itself. My oldest brother is a pilot, and part of a pilots union. Because of 9/11 and recessions, my bro and his colleagues have in the past 10 years or so, agreed to several cuts in pay and benefits, in order for pilots to keep their jobs. He wasn't thrilled about these cuts, but he values his job more than these other things.

It is the same situation for these Hostess employees. I find it astounding that they are so recalcitrant, all the while knowing that if they continue to strike, not only will they lose their jobs, but that their company will go out of business. That seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)