Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Denny's and others will impose a 5% Obamacare tax...sniggle

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

Some Denny’s Restaurants To Charge 5% ‘Obamacare Surcharge’ To Deal With Health Care Legislation

» 102 comments

In the not-too-distant future, when you dine at some Denny’s restaurants, that “Moons Over My Hammy” sandwich will now come with an extra 5-percent surcharge.

Florida-based businessman John Metz, owner of 40 Denny’s franchise restaurants, plans to add the surcharge directly to customers’ checks as an up-close-and-personal way of dealing with the increased costs imposed by the Affordable Care Act, better known as “Obamacare,” which mandates that businesses with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.

The ACA comes into full effect in January 2014. Metz says the direct surcharge is “the only alternative. I’ve got to pass on the cost to the customer.”

Metz stressed that he is not “anti-insurance,” but rather he understands the severe costs the legislation will impose on employers and employees alike: “Obviously, I’d love to cover all our employees under that insurance,” Metz told the Huffington Post. “But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don’t make $175,000 a year. I can’t afford it.”

The restauranteur is unconcerned with the potential backlash from doing what some might consider an expressly political statement by directly charging the customer for Obamacare. He told HuffPosthe is willing to take the heat, and that “We’re trying to get more restaurant operators rallied around the concept of adding a 5 percent surcharge to their bill to cover the costs of Obamacare as opposed to raising prices.”

Metz also plans to cut employee hours. “I think it’s a terrible thing. It’s ridiculous that the maximum hours we can give people is 28 hours a week instead of 40,” he said. “It’s going to force my employees to go out and get a second job.”

Full HuffPost report here.

LOL

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM
6 moms liked this

I can only imagine how much harder dealing with family issues are going to be when you are forced to work two or three different part time jobs, just to keep up with bills because this mandate has made it where you can't just work the one you had before. 

JustCJ
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

SMH it's deplorable. 

Quoting Canvas_says:

I can only imagine how much harder dealing with family issues are going to be when you are forced to work two or three different part time jobs, just to keep up with bills because this mandate has made it where you can't just work the one you had before. 

_Kissy_
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd pay the extra 2 bucks. But I don't eat at greasy spoons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait! Wait! But how will those poor people who can't even afford to eat out be able to afford paying 5% more for their burgers?

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I actually don't have a problem with this.

Given how the food contributes to ill health, I'm not about charging a health tax on it.

And if people stop going to the restaurant becuase of the additional charges, then perhaps local diners can get the benefit of their patronage.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Canvas_says:

Tell that to the 17 million children with pre-existing conditions that now can actually get health care.

"dealing with family issues," indeed.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a problem with it for the drivers out on the road, one of the major customers for Denny's diners as a whole. You can't exactly pull your big rig up to a local mom and pop. 

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Given how the food contributes to ill health, I'm not about charging a health tax on it.

And if people stop going to the restaurant becuase of the additional charges, then perhaps local diners can get the benefit of their patronage.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM
3 moms liked this

What does that have to do with now being forced to work several jobs to support yourself instead of one job? And still not getting those benefits. 

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Tell that to the 17 million children with pre-existing conditions that now can actually get health care.

"dealing with family issues," indeed.

JustCJ
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM
5 moms liked this

That would roll down eventually to the food you buy at the super market. Sorry I don't want to be told what I can, and can't eat. Because of our socialized health care...that I did not want either.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

JustCJ
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Possibly they don't...we pay for them AGAIN.

Quoting SeakingPeace:

Wait! Wait! But how will those poor people who can't even afford to eat out be able to afford paying 5% more for their burgers?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)