Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Men Who Built America

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

This is a series that is playing on The History Channel right now.  I watched several episodes last night.  It is all about the men responsible for the industrial revolution: Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Morgan, etc., and how they came to develop their businesses. 

What was really fascinating was the parallels that could be drawn to the political and business environment of today.  This is history that is just over 100 years old, and it's already repeating itself.  It also really drove home the fact that these issues that we are still dealing with are not nearly as black and white as they seem.

Did anyone catch it?  If so, what did you think of it?  I'm going to DVR the whole series because I missed the very first one, and I really want to watch the whole thing again.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I do not have the History Channel here. But I believe I know enough about it to agree that it's not all black-and-white.  I know that many bankers were also given big military positions during that time period, and those are not coincidences. 

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I'm going to look for it. 

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM
A few years ago a neighbor gave us some old Readers Digest, and in one of them there was a piece written by Forbes. He was complaining about the New Deal, and it sounded just like the whiny rants of today's wealthy class. I will have to find the issue again and reread it now that Obama has been reelected.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quoting Meadowchik:

I do not have the History Channel here. But I believe I know enough about it to agree that it's not all black-and-white.  I know that many bankers were also given big military positions during that time period, and those are not coincidences. 

It was really interesting.  It talked about how Rockefeller and Carnegie were archenemies, but when William Jennings Bryan came on the political scene, they banded together with JP Morgan to get McKinley elected.

It also talked about how they were nervous when Teddy Roosevelt came on the political scene, but he was so popular that they didn't figure there was much they could do.  Their solution was to get him on the ticket as VP since that was/is such a nothing political position.  It was their way of trying to neutralize him.  They didn't anticipate McKinley being assassinated (obviously) and Roosevelt becoming President.  It totally backfired on them.

It's really fascinating.  I wonder if it will be available on Netflix.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Sounds interesting, I'll try to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

parrishsky
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Sounds like something I would enjoy.

cowboysgirl3227
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

We watched it, even my 10-year-old daughter did and she loved it.  I found it fascinating and I completely agree with you.  I could see many parallels with our current situation.  I do believe that history can and will repeat itself.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM
My younger two sort of wandered in and out, but my 8 year old sat at watched it with me and asked questions, etc.
The things that stood out the most for me were the flood, the men getting shot at Carnegie Steel, the President of Carnegie Steel getting shot and stabbed, and Henry Ford -- everything about his story -- at the very end.
I really want to watch it again.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

We watched it, even my 10-year-old daughter did and she loved it.  I found it fascinating and I completely agree with you.  I could see many parallels with our current situation.  I do believe that history can and will repeat itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

What were the issues raised by the programs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)