Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Sandy Victim on Obama's Visit: 'He Should [Have] Been Here a Long Time Ago'

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

(weeklystandard)

President Obama is traveling in New York today for the first time since Hurricane Sandy devastated large areas in that state (and elsewhere). While touring the federal centers set up to deal with the storm, a woman told the press: "We need help--he should [have] been here a long time ago."

The pool report provides more details:

Potus visited a FEMA and SBA disaster tent as a loud crows of about a 100 locals looked on and yelled for his attention, as well as a tent holding boxes of toiletries, as well cans of soup. (Campbell's was well represented) and boxed food to victims of Sandy.

Pooler got to talk with a girl who was getting some supplies. She said her house was on the beach but "it's gone." She laughed and said it's "still standing..." but they can't live in it. They're living family.

She said of the president:

"We need help--he should of been here a long time ago."

A young hispanic man who just met the president said he "lost everything; I lost my job."

"Thanks so much," he said he wanted to say to the president.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM
4 moms liked this

If this were Bush, they'd be crucifying him for taking so long.  

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
8 moms liked this

Um, he was asked not to come when it was first happening.  But I guess the facts aren't what you care about.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM
3 moms liked this

They don't like facts they just like to crucify the President every chance they get.If they can do it without facts then the more the better.

Quoting trippyhippy:

Um, he was asked not to come when it was first happening.  But I guess the facts aren't what you care about.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Every State almost has sent crews to NYC and NJ and other areas same as they did with Katrina.  Obama like Bush can only do so much. And this response and even the fact that so many headed the warning and did not stay in their home speaks to lesson learned. The Mayor of NY asked him to stay away.

It has been a few weeks it is just Terrible that this happened at the worst possible time of year but that is Mother Nature not the President.

This response at least was in the Staging phase to  roll out right away the next day Military was there.

29again
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM
5 moms liked this

If I recall the events correctly, Katrina hit on a Monday, and Bush was there touring before the week was out.  Now, in comparison, Sandy hit Oct 29.  Obama made his first visit to NYC yesterday.  Yeah, I'm so impressed with his concern to those affected. 

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Obama had more important things to do than visit right after the election (or especially before the election).  He had fund raising so much more important than American lives, you know.  Right after the election, there was that so-much-more-important-than-devastation-and-lost-lives golf trip, you know.

obama's been too busy signing an average of 63 Executive Orders and Bills each day (which will devastate the entire country in a matter of months) to go visit the East Coast. Those people just aren't that important.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

Obama had more important things to do than visit right after the election (or especially before the election).  He had fund raising so much more important than American lives, you know.  Right after the election, there was that so-much-more-important-than-devastation-and-lost-lives golf trip, you know.

obama's been too busy signing an average of 63 Executive Orders and Bills each day (which will devastate the entire country in a matter of months) to go visit the East Coast. Those people just aren't that important.

This..

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, which is it?  Is his presence useless because he can barely manipulate a hammer and nails, or should he have been there sooner?  I've seen posts going both directions now...

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

People are ANGRY. The response has been horrible. LIPA is responsible. A private company; not the feds.

But point the finger at Obama....it's such a big help. 

shimamab
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Has not signed 63 orders a day. More bs right wing propaganda. Didn't you and I already settle this where you finally used a valid source and found he had signed 130-something total?!?

ETA: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/disposition.html

Quoting gsprofval:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN