Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does our ELECTION SYSTEM need an overhaul?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Does the US election process need an overhaul?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

Prior to this most recent Presidential election, many (both Republicans and Democrats) reported voter fraud.  Prior to the election, some states had tried to pass a law that their state require a PHOTO Voter's ID card (and the Supreme Court voted it down).  During the election process, there were questions about whether some voters were even LEGAL voters and there were complaints about how some states permit EARLY VOTING but that other states didn't.  During it, I had heard so many people ask, "Why does one state vote by chad, another vote by lever, and still another vote by written ballot?" Before the election was even over, many felt that the outcome wasn't accurate. And when it WAS over, many stated that the outcome can't be trusted.

All this being said, I want to know:

How many of you feel that our ELECTION PROCESS needs an OVERHAUL? And if so, what should be changed about it?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Our campaign finance system is what really needs an overhaul!

Yeah, poor, unsuccessful, and uneducated people should have more influence than they already do.

I know that is who I look to for leadership.

ARmomOf3
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

They didn't scan mine, they just asked me to show it and then just took down my name, and when I signed their sheet they made sure my signature matched. And we have the strip on ours.

Quoting Canvas_says:

They scanned my drivers licence this time around, do they not have the credit card strip on yours? 

Quoting JCPenny:

Yes, photo voter cards should be implemented, but with some measure of security added. It's easy to make a fake driver's license. To keep fraud down, they should issue new ones each election with something different about them, and send them out about a month before election day- that would help, but not completely stop voter fraud. If someone wants to commit fraud they'll find a way to do it!

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

That would be great if we could finally overpower those unions who are dead set on teaching their views as fact instead of history and consequences. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Voter ID is an absolute must, I don't like the extended voting that they have in many states. It gives too many opportunities for either group to go out and "buy votes" of people who weren't interested in voting in the first place. 

Probably,

More importantly the education of voters needs an overhaul, honestly a huge portion of the voters are too stupid to vote.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Wow, I dunno were you all live, here you simply walk in, state your name and address and if someone hasn't already came in and stated your name and address, they hand you your ballot.

Quoting ARmomOf3:

They didn't scan mine, they just asked me to show it and then just took down my name, and when I signed their sheet they made sure my signature matched. And we have the strip on ours.

Quoting Canvas_says:

They scanned my drivers licence this time around, do they not have the credit card strip on yours? 

Quoting JCPenny:

Yes, photo voter cards should be implemented, but with some measure of security added. It's easy to make a fake driver's license. To keep fraud down, they should issue new ones each election with something different about them, and send them out about a month before election day- that would help, but not completely stop voter fraud. If someone wants to commit fraud they'll find a way to do it!

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I myself am in Michigan not that a vote for a Republican does anything here. However, at least in our area we have scanners like credit card swipers. 4 years ago it was like yours, just walk in tell them my name and take my ballot. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Wow, I dunno were you all live, here you simply walk in, state your name and address and if someone hasn't already came in and stated your name and address, they hand you your ballot.

Quoting ARmomOf3:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting JCPenny:

ARmomOf3
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

So if John Smith and John Smith II live in the same place I hope they have better ways to not have number two vote as number one and vice versa lol.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting ARmomOf3:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting JCPenny:

GoodPenny
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I'm all for just the popular vote to count and not the electoral college crap.
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what we do here as well.  But we're a small town and everyone knows everyone so it's not that big of a deal.  I can see where it could be bad in larger areas, that's why I'm all for ID's. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting ARmomOf3:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting JCPenny:

autodidact
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

requiring ID constitutes a poll tax and is NOT necessary to prevent voter fraud. 

I'm much more concerned with election fraud, long waits to vote, robocalls trying to misdirect would-be voters, etc.

what we need are uniform procedures, paper trails or open source softwear in cases of electronic voting machines, and instant runoff voting so no one feels they are chosing between their true candidate of choice and voting for the lesser of two evils so their vote will at least count.  

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I like the way my state handles elections.  I get my ballot in the mail.  I can take as long as I want to fill it out, and I can either drop it off at a ballot collection point or slap a stamp on and mail it back.

Is there some sort of specific regulation you would like to see enacted? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN