Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does our ELECTION SYSTEM need an overhaul?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Does the US election process need an overhaul?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

Prior to this most recent Presidential election, many (both Republicans and Democrats) reported voter fraud.  Prior to the election, some states had tried to pass a law that their state require a PHOTO Voter's ID card (and the Supreme Court voted it down).  During the election process, there were questions about whether some voters were even LEGAL voters and there were complaints about how some states permit EARLY VOTING but that other states didn't.  During it, I had heard so many people ask, "Why does one state vote by chad, another vote by lever, and still another vote by written ballot?" Before the election was even over, many felt that the outcome wasn't accurate. And when it WAS over, many stated that the outcome can't be trusted.

All this being said, I want to know:

How many of you feel that our ELECTION PROCESS needs an OVERHAUL? And if so, what should be changed about it?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I'm in PA and we have licenses with that magnetic strip on the back, too.  But nobody asked for ANY ID here!  We just sign in next to our names.

Quoting Canvas_says:

They scanned my drivers licence this time around, do they not have the credit card strip on yours? 

Quoting JCPenny:

Yes, photo voter cards should be implemented, but with some measure of security added. It's easy to make a fake driver's license. To keep fraud down, they should issue new ones each election with something different about them, and send them out about a month before election day- that would help, but not completely stop voter fraud. If someone wants to commit fraud they'll find a way to do it!

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I agree 100%!  Do you think anyone will attempt to pass that VOTER ID thing anytime soon?  Or do you think they'll wait until it's one month before the next election before they discuss it again?!!!!

Quoting 4kidz916:

Yes.  Voter ID for everyone and I also think the method of voting should be the same everywhere.  For instance early voting for all places and all voting with the same type of machine or paper ballots.  

_Kissy_
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Please dont ask her. We're still waiting for her to show hers.

Quoting Angie_O:

question to you too, how exactly do you determine if one is intelligent enough to vote? 

I agree.

It's really the crux of the matter and until it's fixed, the country's on the skids.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don't understand how we have an election DAY but people are actually voting MONTHS before!  I also can't tell you how much it angered me this year to see that Florida (who already had EARLY VOTING) got an EXTENSION on early voting.  What the heck???? And why do some states have early voting but others do not????  Seems a little rigged to me.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Voter ID is an absolute must, I don't like the extended voting that they have in many states. It gives too many opportunities for either group to go out and "buy votes" of people who weren't interested in voting in the first place. 

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I agree!  

Quoting Sisteract:

Our campaign finance system is what really needs an overhaul!

Angie_O
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM

lmao, they both ignored me yet went on to have more replies to others :) It's all good ;)

Quoting _Kissy_:

Please dont ask her. We're still waiting for her to show hers.

Quoting Angie_O:

question to you too, how exactly do you determine if one is intelligent enough to vote? 

I agree.

It's really the crux of the matter and until it's fixed, the country's on the skids.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Too funny!  I agree, though.  Wouldn't it be nice if they spent 1/3 the money they do on campaign finance on EDUCATING the public months before the election.  I, for one, would love to hear a heck of a lot more than just 3 debates!  

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Voter ID is an absolute must, I don't like the extended voting that they have in many states. It gives too many opportunities for either group to go out and "buy votes" of people who weren't interested in voting in the first place. 

Probably,

More importantly the education of voters needs an overhaul, honestly a huge portion of the voters are too stupid to vote.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I think it's grossly negligent that they don't require PHOTO VOTER IDs in every single state.  There's absolutely no reason why that couldn't be done.

Quoting RigPrincess85:

Voter ID is a MUST!

Ill never understand why it isn't.

The whole system definitely needs an overhaul.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Oh, jeeze, Canvas!  Now you opened another can of worms!  Don't even get me started about those darn unions!  You'll really get me riled up!  LOL

Quoting Canvas_says:

That would be great if we could finally overpower those unions who are dead set on teaching their views as fact instead of history and consequences. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Probably,

More importantly the education of voters needs an overhaul, honestly a huge portion of the voters are too stupid to vote.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

WHAT??????  Are you kidding?  

Quoting Billiejeens:

Wow, I dunno were you all live, here you simply walk in, state your name and address and if someone hasn't already came in and stated your name and address, they hand you your ballot.

Quoting ARmomOf3:

They didn't scan mine, they just asked me to show it and then just took down my name, and when I signed their sheet they made sure my signature matched. And we have the strip on ours.

Quoting Canvas_says:

They scanned my drivers licence this time around, do they not have the credit card strip on yours? 

Quoting JCPenny:

Yes, photo voter cards should be implemented, but with some measure of security added. It's easy to make a fake driver's license. To keep fraud down, they should issue new ones each election with something different about them, and send them out about a month before election day- that would help, but not completely stop voter fraud. If someone wants to commit fraud they'll find a way to do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)