Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does our ELECTION SYSTEM need an overhaul?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Does the US election process need an overhaul?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

Prior to this most recent Presidential election, many (both Republicans and Democrats) reported voter fraud.  Prior to the election, some states had tried to pass a law that their state require a PHOTO Voter's ID card (and the Supreme Court voted it down).  During the election process, there were questions about whether some voters were even LEGAL voters and there were complaints about how some states permit EARLY VOTING but that other states didn't.  During it, I had heard so many people ask, "Why does one state vote by chad, another vote by lever, and still another vote by written ballot?" Before the election was even over, many felt that the outcome wasn't accurate. And when it WAS over, many stated that the outcome can't be trusted.

All this being said, I want to know:

How many of you feel that our ELECTION PROCESS needs an OVERHAUL? And if so, what should be changed about it?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Replies (51-60):
SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Canvas, you and I were talking before the election.  Not many votes for Romney there, huh?  Ah!  Don't feel bad.  We didn't have very many in PA either.  (Well, actually where I live we did; but not in the big cities.)

Here, voters just go in, complete a slip of paper with our name and party, hand it to a lady who's guarding the book of registered voters, she flips the book over for the voter to sign and then you go into a booth, make your selections and pull the lever.  When the voter is done, they get no confirmation of their vote.  I don't like that at all!

Quoting Canvas_says:

I myself am in Michigan not that a vote for a Republican does anything here. However, at least in our area we have scanners like credit card swipers. 4 years ago it was like yours, just walk in tell them my name and take my ballot. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Wow, I dunno were you all live, here you simply walk in, state your name and address and if someone hasn't already came in and stated your name and address, they hand you your ballot.

Quoting ARmomOf3:

They didn't scan mine, they just asked me to show it and then just took down my name, and when I signed their sheet they made sure my signature matched. And we have the strip on ours.

Quoting Canvas_says:

They scanned my drivers licence this time around, do they not have the credit card strip on yours? 

Quoting JCPenny:

Yes, photo voter cards should be implemented, but with some measure of security added. It's easy to make a fake driver's license. To keep fraud down, they should issue new ones each election with something different about them, and send them out about a month before election day- that would help, but not completely stop voter fraud. If someone wants to commit fraud they'll find a way to do it!

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Could you explain "instant runoff voting?"

Quoting autodidact:

requiring ID constitutes a poll tax and is NOT necessary to prevent voter fraud. 

I'm much more concerned with election fraud, long waits to vote, robocalls trying to misdirect would-be voters, etc.

what we need are uniform procedures, paper trails or open source softwear in cases of electronic voting machines, and instant runoff voting so no one feels they are chosing between their true candidate of choice and voting for the lesser of two evils so their vote will at least count.  

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I like that with this way of voting, you don't have to wait in long lines and you can drop off your vote a ballot collection points or mail it.  But again, even with your state's way of doing it, the voter has no guarantee that his/her vote actually registered correctly.  And with the mail in vote, how do you know your vote even reached its destination? And what about if someone intercepts your ballot?  Is it feasible that someone else could vote with your ballot?  Clue me in.  I'm curious.  

I'm not looking for any specific regulation to be enacted.  I was just wondering how the American people feel about our current election system.  If I could change one thing, it would be that the system is the same in every state and that a photo Voter ID is required with every vote.

Quoting timeforprogress:

I like the way my state handles elections.  I get my ballot in the mail.  I can take as long as I want to fill it out, and I can either drop it off at a ballot collection point or slap a stamp on and mail it back.

Is there some sort of specific regulation you would like to see enacted? 

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I agree with Sisteract 100%.  Who can we take this up with?  :)

Quoting Sisteract:

ITA! All conditions (hours, ballots, IDs etc..) for federal elections should be uniform for all voters.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Yes.  Voter ID for everyone and I also think the method of voting should be the same everywhere.  For instance early voting for all places and all voting with the same type of machine or paper ballots.  

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I'm pretty sure every state offers STATE non-drivers license IDs.  Getting one is as simple as getting to a state driver's license center.  Some nursing homes even offer on site applications for these.  And for any person who is on Public Assistance, I'd be in favor of giving those IDs to those people.  To get a State NON-drivers licenses, you simply need two forms of ID (social security card, utility bill, etc.,)...There has got to be a way that we can get these photo Voter IDs into the hands of everyone (rich/poor, old/young, abled/disabled.  But to tell you the truth, I still think, even if everyone had them, it wouldn't solve voter fraud because we all know how easy it is for some people to get fake IDs.  

Quoting Friday:

First, we need to do something about campaign finance. The money spent trying to buy elections and politicians is obscene.

Second, I support requiring photo ID as long as it's affordable and we work with those who might not have extensive paperwork or documentation. I know many older and poor people don't but are still legal to vote.

Third, I'm for states rights but due to the problems found in elections at least since 2000, I think all states should have a uniform voting system. NO electronic machines, period. Here in Los Angeles County, Cali we have paper ballots and an ink pen/marker to mark our choices on the ballots. I've talked to others and apparently it's not statewide.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Well said!

Furthermore, if we could allow those New Jersey residents who were in total devestation (re: Hurricane Sandy) at the time of the election to vote via electronically, why isn't this the norm all the time?  Then, there'd be no justification for EARLY VOTING, extending voting, etc.,

If someone out there can tell me why we even have EARLY VOTING, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I feel so ignorant with respect to it.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yes we need to move voting into the 21st century and allow voting by phone and internet.  You have been able to bank by phone and internet for more than 2 decades.  If banks feel the internet is safe enough to allow you to transactions electroncially, then why can't we vote over the internet.  If people were allowed to either vote at polls or online, voter participation would dramatically increase and lines at the polls would decrease.

This year was the first year that the voting database was online.  The poll attendants all had laptops.   

Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Quoting SeakingPeace:

I'm pretty sure every state offers STATE non-drivers license IDs.  Getting one is as simple as getting to a state driver's license center.  Some nursing homes even offer on site applications for these.  And for any person who is on Public Assistance, I'd be in favor of giving those IDs to those people.  To get a State NON-drivers licenses, you simply need two forms of ID (social security card, utility bill, etc.,)...There has got to be a way that we can get these photo Voter IDs into the hands of everyone (rich/poor, old/young, abled/disabled.  But to tell you the truth, I still think, even if everyone had them, it wouldn't solve voter fraud because we all know how easy it is for some people to get fake IDs.  

Quoting Friday:

First, we need to do something about campaign finance. The money spent trying to buy elections and politicians is obscene.

Second, I support requiring photo ID as long as it's affordable and we work with those who might not have extensive paperwork or documentation. I know many older and poor people don't but are still legal to vote.

Third, I'm for states rights but due to the problems found in elections at least since 2000, I think all states should have a uniform voting system. NO electronic machines, period. Here in Los Angeles County, Cali we have paper ballots and an ink pen/marker to mark our choices on the ballots. I've talked to others and apparently it's not statewide.

I know, here in Cali they are $16 or 20. Doesn't sound like much but I've gone for months w/o that much to spare. Plus many poor people have no access to transportation.

Like I said make it simple, cheap and work with people who don't have their paperwork and I'm good.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I like what you've said here about people needing to vote for the candidate not the party.  I wish people would get more involved long before our Election Day, too.  You can't just tune in 1 month before the election and you can't rely on one source of media to get your information.  I go out of my way to watch different channels.  It's amazing how different the news is reported from what channel to the next. I watch a ton of the PCN channel on TV, too.  It's a great way to see which politicians are actually WORKING and what their opinions are on certain issues.  It's also a good way to get a good look at their CHARACTER (while the election is not in progress).  

But I agree with you...Vote for the candidate whose ideas you support.  And though I wish EVERYONE would exercise their right to vote, I wish that those who don't know ANYTHING about a candidate wouldn't vote at all.   

Quoting blues_pagan:

Absolutely.  First off people need to know that they have more than just two parties to choose from.  I think that is appalling that our media purposely covers only two parties because they are the ones who have the most money.  This gives the false impression to most that these are the only choices that they have.  

Second, I think that political parties just need to go away.  Some people make voting "easy" by choosing a party that they agree with and checking that box and moving on.  They don't take the time to get to know the candidates.  I bet that most people could not even tell me what the voting record is on any given politician they support.  They simply support them because they have the brand name of their chosen party.  We need to do away with that and focus on the person, not the party.

Finally, the electoral college has to go.  The popular vote, directly from the people, should be more than enough to decide who the governing body is.  That power should be 100% up to the people.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Good point.  Damn it!  You can't trust anyone these days!  frustrated

Quoting Canvas_says:

That thought scares me honestly. Banks, and stores, schools, you name it are always at a threat of being hacked. Even our Government couldn't keep our drones safe from a virus. I wouldn't be able to trust that process would be safe and free from scammers, and other nations deliberately messing with our elections.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yes we need to move voting into the 21st century and allow voting by phone and internet.  You have been able to bank by phone and internet for more than 2 decades.  If banks feel the internet is safe enough to allow you to transactions electroncially, then why can't we vote over the internet.  If people were allowed to either vote at polls or online, voter participation would dramatically increase and lines at the polls would decrease.

This year was the first year that the voting database was online.  The poll attendants all had laptops.   

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I know what you mean!  These days I, too, often don't have too much extra money laying around.  Things are really tough lately for a lot of people.  Like I say, though, for those who can't afford it, their ID should be free.  But as far as documentation to prove one's identity, I'd be pretty strict on that.  There's no reason why any person can't produce 2 supporting documents to get this ID.  The Social Security Office and Social Services provides this sort of help for Seniors when they are processing social security applications. (I'd be okay with Government Assistance cards & Medicare cards coupled with some sort of proof af address as being acceptable documentation.)  Thoughts?

Quoting Friday:

Quoting SeakingPeace:

Quoting Friday:

I know, here in Cali they are $16 or 20. Doesn't sound like much but I've gone for months w/o that much to spare. Plus many poor people have no access to transportation.

Like I said make it simple, cheap and work with people who don't have their paperwork and I'm good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)