Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fox Covers Up Acknowledgement That Petraeus Was OK With Benghazi Talking Points

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Fox News is whitewashing Rep. Peter King's (R-NY) acknowledgment that the Central Intelligence Agency approved the talking points that were used by U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice for an early assessment of the September 11 attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya.

For two months, Fox has sought to scandalize Rice's September 16 interviews on the major Sunday news shows. During those interviews, Rice said that an investigation into the Benghazi attack was under way but that the current assessment of the intelligence community was that the attack was a reaction to a violent protest at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, which was inspired by a controversial anti-Islamic film.

On Friday, Gen. David Petraeus, the former head of the CIA, offered testimony before a closed congressional hearing on the Benghazi attack and its aftermath.

In an interview immediately after that hearing explaining what Petraeus said, King said that the CIA initially wrote in its assessment that attack was connected to an Al Qaeda-affiliated group, but that point was removed during a standard review by the broader intelligence community.

King said that Petraeus testified that he was not upset that the reference to Al Qaeda was removed from the intelligence assessment before it was made public. In fact, King made clear that the CIA OK'd the assessment after the reference to Al Qaeda was removed:

Yeah, they said, "OK for it to go."

But when Fox interviewed King, anchor Megyn Kelly made no reference to King's earlier statement making clear that Petraeus was not upset that the reference to Al Qaeda was removed from the assessment before it was made public, or that the CIA OK'd the assessment Rice relied upon.

King's comments are a fatal blow to the phony controversy over Rice's interviews: Rice never ruled out the possibility that the attack was an act of terrorism, and what she said was consistent with the public assessment approved by the intelligence community -- including the CIA.

Silence is the only way Fox can keep its scandal alive.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/16/fox-covers-up-acknowledgement-that-petraeus-was/191439

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joey125
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Fox news people live in their own universe with their very own facts.    The are nothing but divisive irritating liars

shimamab
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It's quiet in here...I guess stupid Internet memes are more interesting to peeps around here :( Here's a bump, girl!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Interesting.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Your article takes some liberties with the truth.  But then, it IS media matters.  Leave out where he says some one in the Obama adm removed Al Qaeda from the Cia Benghazi talking points

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM

The primary question at hand, according to King, is who changed those talking points and why. “If I had to presume, I’d say it was somebody in the administration had to have taken it out, because it was nobody in the Director of National Intelligence Office, nobody in the CIA that did it. So, it was someone else that did it. And I doubt if the State Department or the Defense Department or the Justice Department would be involved in taking that out,” he said.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

You know it is standard practice not to blab or give credit to terrorist to the public righ away so they can try to not tip off said terrorist that you are hunting them. The governments did not give such detail right after 9/11 either. 

Kinds of blows Lindsey Graham and McCain comments out of the water :) I bet they do not retract what they said about Ms. Rice.  I don't know what happened to McCain I use to respect him and his current rants I just do not get, he has been in Government long enough to know this stuff is not blabbed about on national TV to the whole natoin.

The CIA and the Joint Chief of the Defense Department had the most control over what was done and said during and after the attacks.

And no the CIA did not want to tip off the groups they where after much like Police not releasing all the Details of a Murder so they know then they get the right people who know the actual details verse what was reported to the Media.

You all are still hung up on the term Terrorist Act verse calling it out as a certain terrorist group and there are reason why that is not done.  We all knew that 9/11 was a terrorist Act as well but the detail of who they thought did it was not release the day after or week after either.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I was all set to read this and saw that it came from media matters, who are heavily funded from George Soros, so I can't in good conscience give it any credibility. It would be as if I went to Michael Moore, or moveon.org for news. 

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Well too be Fair  Canvas the same thing has been report on most other Media as well. I never take just one sources word for anything  but seek out a more broad view on things.  I do not watch must FOX News and MSNBC  but may peruse them as part of the over all media.  I do not have an allegiance to any news media anymore then I do an particular party in Gov. anymore.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I actually get my news from a variation of sites be it any of the mainstream offerings. I do even troll over to MSNBC for strictly entertainment purposes. I do however avoid these sites who's only goal is to try to discredit just Fox news, seeking out single words or something one of the reporters say and then concocting that in to an entire story. 

Quoting NancSBRN:

Well too be Fair  Canvas the same thing has been report on most other Media as well. I never take just one sources word for anything  but seek out a more broad view on things.  I do not watch must FOX News and MSNBC  but may peruse them as part of the over all media.  I do not have an allegiance to any news media anymore then I do an particular party in Gov. anymore.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I agree no media should be out to just bash another sort of why I do not listen to any talk radio I think it is all to Bias. I will view video clips and such but as to sit an listen to any media I don't have time I have a life and my business to deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)