Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

bye twinkies!

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 16 Replies
So sad... 18500 people lose job
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Go out and hug your local union thug today 

shimamab
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
While giving out hugs, don't forget the CEO (who makes $100,000 a month) and his top 4 execs who were recently given 75-80% raises when this company has now filed for bankruptcy twice this year.
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Do you mean twice in ten years? And no worries, that CEO and other execs are out of a job as well, except that now they get a piece of whatever it sells for. 

Quoting shimamab:

While giving out hugs, don't forget the CEO (who makes $100,000 a month) and his top 4 execs who were recently given 75-80% raises when this company has now filed for bankruptcy twice this year.

shimamab
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Right, ten years...my bad. And I'm sure the CEO's and others have a better cushion to fall back on until they're rehired than the rest of the employees do. So boohoo for them AFTER boohoo for the peeps making the doughnuts. :)

Quoting Canvas_says:

Do you mean twice in ten years? And no worries, that CEO and other execs are out of a job as well, except that now they get a piece of whatever it sells for. 

Quoting shimamab:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I feel badly for the majority of the employees, the ones that agreed to the original pay cuts after leaving bankruptcy. They were showing up to their jobs and doing their part, it's this smaller group the bakers union that wouldn't agree and cost all those jobs. It's a sucky ass time of the year to be collection unemployment. 

Quoting shimamab:

Right, ten years...my bad. And I'm sure the CEO's and others have a better cushion to fall back on until they're rehired than the rest of the employees do. So boohoo for them AFTER boohoo for the peeps making the doughnuts. :)

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

shimamab
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I know, right? Sucks to collect any time, but the holidays have got to be the worst. This company has been going down for a while now so placing the blame solely with one union doesn't sit well with me. Some friend of a friend on fb's son (six degrees of fb) lost his job there and I'm really gonna miss Twinkies. I better go stock up. Those crazy things have like a 2 decade shelf life so that should sustain me for a while ;)

Quoting Canvas_says:

I feel badly for the majority of the employees, the ones that agreed to the original pay cuts after leaving bankruptcy. They were showing up to their jobs and doing their part, it's this smaller group the bakers union that wouldn't agree and cost all those jobs. It's a sucky ass time of the year to be collection unemployment. 

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

If you want some Twinkies, grab them up - I hear some stores are completely cleaned out. And don't worry about them going bad - I hear they last for 100 years. :) I think I'll pick up a few Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

I know they are not great for you - but neither is anything else with sugar. But occasionally and in moderation, what a fun experience from childhood!

I hear some foreign or other domestic country may pick up the Hostess business - this time without a unionized workforce. 

Unions are supposed to work on behalf of workers to help them keep their jobs - not to add 18,000 workers to the ever increasing host of the unemployed. Even the Teamsters, not exactly a conservative union, reviewed the books of Hostess, saw how financially weak they were, and pleaded with the union and workers to accept pay moderate cuts instead of cutting production to zero, so the workers could keep their jobs. And Hostess gave a very clear warning that they did not have the resource to pay for an extended strike. But the union at Hostess did not listen even to the Teamsters Union, and directly led to their layoffs. Very sad - and very avoidable. 

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Good luck getting any, the shelves are pretty empty already and people are selling them on Ebay for more than a hundred bucks a box. I would never pay that kind of money for a piece of food that could last a hundred years lol. 

Quoting shimamab:

I know, right? Sucks to collect any time, but the holidays have got to be the worst. This company has been going down for a while now so placing the blame solely with one union doesn't sit well with me. Some friend of a friend on fb's son (six degrees of fb) lost his job there and I'm really gonna miss Twinkies. I better go stock up. Those crazy things have like a 2 decade shelf life so that should sustain me for a while ;)

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

shimamab
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Daaaannng! I don't need 'em that badly. If I do find some, I'm eBay-ing those puppies :)

Quoting Canvas_says:

Good luck getting any, the shelves are pretty empty already and people are selling them on Ebay for more than a hundred bucks a box. I would never pay that kind of money for a piece of food that could last a hundred years lol. 

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting shimamab:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Yeah, there is a whisper that the Mexican billionaire that makes all the money off of the so called "obamaphones" might purchase at least parts of Hostess, but for certain the union would be persona non grata. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

If you want some Twinkies, grab them up - I hear some stores are completely cleaned out. And don't worry about them going bad - I hear they last for 100 years. :) I think I'll pick up a few Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

I know they are not great for you - but neither is anything else with sugar. But occasionally and in moderation, what a fun experience from childhood!

I hear some foreign or other domestic country may pick up the Hostess business - this time without a unionized workforce. 

Unions are supposed to work on behalf of workers to help them keep their jobs - not to add 18,000 workers to the ever increasing host of the unemployed. Even the Teamsters, not exactly a conservative union, reviewed the books of Hostess, saw how financially weak they were, and pleaded with the union and workers to accept pay moderate cuts instead of cutting production to zero, so the workers could keep their jobs. And Hostess gave a very clear warning that they did not have the resource to pay for an extended strike. But the union at Hostess did not listen even to the Teamsters Union, and directly led to their layoffs. Very sad - and very avoidable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN