Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Great American Pissing Contest

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's see if we can finally reach a compromise and get things back on track.  I doubt it but...

From The Washington Post on Thursday, November 15:

It's normal for President Obama and congressional Republicans to be pushing and posturing in the wake of last week's election. Everyone is trying to gauge how the political dynamics have shifted, though on paper the balance of power remains unchanged. All are trying to enhance their bargaining position. Both sides want to seem reasonable to Americans who want Washington to compromise, while reassuring partisans that they will stand up for principle.

It's normal but also potentially dangerous, because compromise is going to be essential.

In the short term, if Congress and Mr. Obama don't reach an agreement by the end of this year, tax rates will rise and spending is due to be slashed. The economy would go back into recession, according to the Congressional Budget Office, and unemployment would spike again.

In the long term, the United States faces ever-mounting debt that could leave the government with little to spend beyond what it owes on pension and health-care programs and interest on the debt. It's been collecting about 16 percent of national economic output in taxes and spending about 24 percent. That's not sustainable.

The biggest obstacle to compromise over the past couple of years has been Republican insistence that revenue can't go up. It has been encouraging to see many in the GOP shift, albeit gingerly, off that position since Mr. Obama's reelection. But most Republican leaders continue to insist that revenue can't be raised by hiking income tax rates. Instead, they suggest a change to the tax code -- limiting the value of deductions and closing loopholes. Some Democrats in Congress and the administration, meanwhile, insist that only raising rates will be acceptable.

Mr. Obama struck an appropriate balance in this debate Wednesday during his first news conference since his reelection. His first choice, he made clear, is for Congress to allow tax rates to rise for the wealthiest 2 percent of the country while keeping everyone else's rates the same. He was skeptical about the loophole-closing route. "You know, the math tends not to work," he said.

But when pressed, he didn't close the door on alternatives. "If the Republican counterparts, or some Democrats, have a great idea for us to raise revenue, maintain progressivity, make sure the middle class isn't getting hit, reduces our deficit, encourages growth, I'm not going to just slam the door in their face," he said. "I'm less concerned about red lines per se."

In fact, as we wrote on Sunday, the Treasury could collect a lot of money, and mostly from the rich, by limiting deductions. This approach could have an added benefit of encouraging people to make decisions based on economic benefit, not gaming the tax system.

But Mr. Obama is right to insist that Republicans, if they favor that alternative, must spell it out and show the math. Allowing rates on the rich to rise to Clinton-era levels would do little to harm economic growth. And limiting charitable or mortgage deductions would be politically difficult; do Republicans really have the votes for that? Mr. Obama is right to keep the door open. He's also right not to give up the leverage of rates that, absent any congressional action, will rise with the new year.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Did you read this article?  Where in it did it say that raising taxes on the rich would cure us of all our economic woes?  It didn't.  Instead it stated that compromise is going to be necessary.  That means raising taxes along with agreed upon budget cuts.  

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

LMAO, oh yes because maybe a few million dollars will so help in our trillion dollar deficit.  

How about people stop being asinine and actually get to work on the real issues.

Quoting 29again:

How many of Obama's aides owe back taxes?  How about we start THERE, with getting revenue from the evaders? 

Actually, taxing the "rich' at proposed new rates will barely make a dent in the deficit, so why all the excitement to do it??

To give the little people the sense that "fairness" is actually being implemented ?

Libs and whiners know what they can do with their "fairness".

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blues_pagan:

Did you read this article?  Where in it did it say that raising taxes on the rich would cure us of all our economic woes?  It didn't.  Instead it stated that compromise is going to be necessary.  That means raising taxes along with agreed upon budget cuts.  

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

LMAO, oh yes because maybe a few million dollars will so help in our trillion dollar deficit.  

How about people stop being asinine and actually get to work on the real issues.

Quoting 29again:

How many of Obama's aides owe back taxes?  How about we start THERE, with getting revenue from the evaders? 

Actually, taxing the "rich' at proposed new rates will barely make a dent in the deficit, so why all the excitement to do it??

To give the little people the sense that "fairness" is actually being implemented ?

I think I've raised an important question with an embarrassing answer.

Why is Obama pushing raising taxes for the rich if the revenue raised will help almost nothing?

To make Libs feel good?

I don't care if Libs feel good.

But, if it's that easy to make Libs feel good, let's use something  less divisive , like Santa is real or something.

They appear to be intellectually "easy".

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

SMH, you know I was actually having a great conversation on this before you and Sally came in with your ignorant and hateful posts.  This is completely typical of the conservatives on this board so I am not surprised. 

But to answer your question, taxing the rich is not the only answer that Obama and other Liberals are suggesting.  It is one in a laundry list of things that can be done to help us from dropping off the fiscal cliff.  If we do not do anything right now, the impending raised taxes and spending cuts (which are scheduled for January) will definitely put this country into another recession.  Obama is trying to save the middle class, which is hurting the most right now, by saving their tax cuts.  But he realizes that we need to bring in more revenue.  With that we have taxing the rich with a tax increase of about 2%.  Obviously the Bush tax cuts have done little to help the economy.  But heading straight into raising taxes on everyone is sure to cause a disaster.  If we were to use the Buffet Tax that would raise revenue by about 3%.  Combined with spending cuts and other areas where revenue can be generated it is at least a gentle start to a fixing a very rough and broken road.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 29again:

Why is Obama pushing raising taxes for the rich if the revenue raised will help almost nothing?

To make Libs feel good?

But, if it's that easy to make Libs feel good, let's use something  less divisive , like Santa is real or something.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Quoting blues_pagan:

SMH, you know I was actually having a great conversation on this before you and Sally came in with your ignorant and hateful posts.  This is completely typical of the conservatives on this board so I am not surprised. 

But to answer your question, taxing the rich is not the only answer that Obama and other Liberals are suggesting.  It is one in a laundry list of things that can be done to help us from dropping off the fiscal cliff.  If we do not do anything right now, the impending raised taxes and spending cuts (which are scheduled for January) will definitely put this country into another recession.  Obama is trying to save the middle class, which is hurting the most right now, by saving their tax cuts.  But he realizes that we need to bring in more revenue.  With that we have taxing the rich with a tax increase of about 2%.  Obviously the Bush tax cuts have done little to help the economy.  But heading straight into raising taxes on everyone is sure to cause a disaster.  If we were to use the Buffet Tax that would raise revenue by about 3%.  Combined with spending cuts and other areas where revenue can be generated it is at least a gentle start to a fixing a very rough and broken road.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 29again:

To make Libs feel good?

Obama and spending cuts?????????

Hilarious    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What cuts do you speak of?

Besides our precious Defense?

The Middle Class, of which I'm a member,  screw 'em  !!!!!

I've heard about the Middle Class 'til I could puke.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

It's called the Obama administration. And also the 21st Century, English-language edition of Pravda - also known today as the Liberal Left-wing Media Industrial Complex.

And also people who don't realize until after the fact, that they have been utterly naive and foolish pawns, in slavish service to someone they would never have obeyed so blindly, if he had been a white man.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Sally, are you just willing to sit here and point fingers at one person when it is evident that our entire system is corrupt and working against progress?  If you are then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Obama's (and the Washington Post's) definition of compromise:  Republican and Democrat Congressmen and women bow before The Messiah's policies, which have no relationship to even 4th grade math. Don't think Obama understands the concept of negative numbers - because in the Obama world, no number is ever less than 0. Negative numbers, on the other hand, would be in that fake Paul Ryan budget-based economy,  where poor decisions could mean astronomically high deficits, national debt, and poverty - and extraordinarily low unemployment, economic growth, take-home pay, and numbers of the American Dream vs. the American Nightmare.

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

OK I understand now, you just don't want to compromise or negotiate with people who don't share the same views as you.  Gotcha and nice to know.  Have a nice day!

Quoting SallyMJ:

It's called the Obama administration. And also the 21st Century, English-language edition of Pravda - also known today as the Liberal Left-wing Media Industrial Complex.

And also people who don't realize until after the fact, that they have been utterly naive and foolish pawns, in slavish service to someone they would never have obeyed so blindly, if he had been a white man.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Sally, are you just willing to sit here and point fingers at one person when it is evident that our entire system is corrupt and working against progress?  If you are then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Obama's (and the Washington Post's) definition of compromise:  Republican and Democrat Congressmen and women bow before The Messiah's policies, which have no relationship to even 4th grade math. Don't think Obama understands the concept of negative numbers - because in the Obama world, no number is ever less than 0. Negative numbers, on the other hand, would be in that fake Paul Ryan budget-based economy,  where poor decisions could mean astronomically high deficits, national debt, and poverty - and extraordinarily low unemployment, economic growth, take-home pay, and numbers of the American Dream vs. the American Nightmare.

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Mustbe, please read through the conversation Canvas and I were having to see where cuts and compromises can be made for the betterment of our country.  Then please come back and talk to me without the obvious ignorance with which you constantly use to make pointless posts.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 29again:

To make Libs feel good?

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Both sides are just going to have to give a little. As long as it's a pissing contest there will be no compromise. We need real leadership!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quoting blues_pagan:

Mustbe, please read through the conversation Canvas and I were having to see where cuts and compromises can be made for the betterment of our country.  Then please come back and talk to me without the obvious ignorance with which you constantly use to make pointless posts.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 29again:

To make Libs feel good?

Not cuts YOU would make  !!!!!!!!!

Cuts Mr. Obama and Democrats have mentioned tackling !!!!!!!!!!

What are they?

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Obama has offered to cut the Pentagon budget, military spending, you know what here is a list of the proposed budget cuts.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/04/12/41211finalprogramcuts.pdf?iid=EL

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting 29again:

To make Libs feel good?

Not cuts YOU would make  !!!!!!!!!

Cuts Mr. Obama and Democrats have mentioned tackling !!!!!!!!!!

What are they?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN