Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Cory Booker Takes Challenge To Live Off Food Stamps For One Week

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM
  • 22 Replies

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57551959-10391739/cory-booker-plans-to-live-off-food-stamps-for-one-week/

So many people are quick to judge those on foods stamps.Just one more freebie coming out of tax payer pockets.Cory Booker puts his money where his mouth is.....can he live off foodstamps?

Could you??

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Well yeah at a free 35 dollars per week per person that would give us 175 dollars a week to spend. That's more than I spend now for foods per week. I would have a hard time figuring out how to use that much. 

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Most people I know who get food stamps say they get way more than they need a month.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Our last  Govenor did that for a week it was only $20 a week back then sure would not go far today with the cost of gorceries. I have seen a signifacant cost rise in my shopping bill we feed pets too but take out the $150 a month. I spend a lot my budget is $800 a month but then I do not buy a lot of processed foods anymore, So that had increased our bill quit  a bit.  If you want to feed good food it  doesn't take long to spend $175. And I am a super shopper at stretching what I have to spend.

Adama44
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Quoting Canvas_says:

Well yeah at a free 35 dollars per week per person that would give us 175 dollars a week to spend. That's more than I spend now for foods per week. I would have a hard time figuring out how to use that much. 

Except that's not really how it works. Their are maximums and it's based on each familys income and bills. The average amount for a family of five is $581 per month.

I can guarantee it's not easy and you would not have a hard time spending it.  Consider all the factors that go into it. If your family recieving the maximum or close to it benefit it's safe to say most income is spent on housting and utilites. If there is any extra money left after the bills it would probably go to those purchases at the grocery not covered under food stamps. Toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, feminine products, laundry detergent,  diapers. 

I have a family of five as well. I use coupons, cook from scratch, watch for sales and stock up on deals. I have never spent under $581 per month for us. Remember that $581 is all meals. No fast food, no pizza night, no lunch out at work.  Also think about this, my family never goes hungry. My sister is a single mom who works at a grocer store so she knows the sales. Her family is on food stamps. Those last couple of days before they come are rough. More than once she's told me of going without so her kids could have the last of the milk or fruit etc...

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That 581 that you posted is still more money than I spend now. I pay between 100-125 a week now on groceries even though we have the means to do so. So this challenge would leave us with extra to spend. 

Quoting Adama44:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Except that's not really how it works. Their are maximums and it's based on each familys income and bills. The average amount for a family of five is $581 per month.

I can guarantee it's not easy and you would not have a hard time spending it.  Consider all the factors that go into it. If your family recieving the maximum or close to it benefit it's safe to say most income is spent on housting and utilites. If there is any extra money left after the bills it would probably go to those purchases at the grocery not covered under food stamps. Toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, feminine products, laundry detergent,  diapers. 

I have a family of five as well. I use coupons, cook from scratch, watch for sales and stock up on deals. I have never spent under $581 per month for us. Remember that $581 is all meals. No fast food, no pizza night, no lunch out at work.  Also think about this, my family never goes hungry. My sister is a single mom who works at a grocer store so she knows the sales. Her family is on food stamps. Those last couple of days before they come are rough. More than once she's told me of going without so her kids could have the last of the milk or fruit etc...

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM
8 moms liked this

Our church helped out a family last year that is on food stamps.  They asked for help again this year... instead of just giving them food, our church gave them seeds and helped them plant a garden.  Then they sent me.  I shopped with her for 3 months to teach her how to eat and how to shop in order to make the most nutritionally for her family.  We used the small amount of money that she used to "chip in" for her food bill to buy her a breadmaker and a crockpot over the course of the year.  I spent a few weekends with her and we canned and froze some of the extras she got from her garden.  She now doesn't need our help next year, so we will be able to help another family.

The real problem with food stamps IMO is that no one teaches the recipients HOW to shop and how to prepare meals that fit in that budget.

Adama44
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Well that's good you're so close to the average. If you spend  $125 a week  that averages $541 a month. So luckily for your family that would give you an extra 40 a month. Ask yourself it that honestly includes every meal and then how far the $40 would go. If it's still there It's great that you can do that. My family could not do it.Also let factor in that extra will cover holidays and birthdays. Summer meals when they're out of school.

Neither could the average family who recieves the $581 a month. The more than likely don't have a car. Because if they had the extra funds to pay for the car ( auto expense are not factored in your food stamp budget) then they wouldn't be recieving the full $581. So without a car your shopping where you can get to. This effects how you spend as well.Also where you live. A gallon of milk is $4 where I live. We drink eight or nine a month. Two loaves of bread a week. Milk and bread alone would be ten percent of my familys budget. Produce and trying to keep us eating healthy with two teenagers and a first grader? A bag of fruit is gone in an afternoon. Five bananas a day for our morning fruit. Also I have a big trucker husband so perhaps my family eats more than averagelbhad much extra left over.

I think it's the average is just that an average for a fair amount a family would spend. So perhaps your family spends a little less mine a little more it's about right and I wouldn't want any family less.

I understand you didn't say different. You only said that's more than your family. I'm just stating this in general.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol, wow you have my family... two teenagers, a first grader and a trucking husband lol. But milk here cost's 2.50 a gallon, bread can be bought for just a dollar a loaf. And we prepare all the children's lunches and breakfasts here at home. Up until last year we paid the schools for that but the changes to the meals have had a negative effect and it's honestly cheaper to make the meals than it was to pay the dues. 

Edit to add, Foodstamps or SNAP are meant to be supplemental and should not be considered your food budget, so for those receiving the full amount they are still expected to be paying for some of their own foods and yet don't actually have to. 

Quoting Adama44:

Well that's good you're so close to the average. If you spend  $125 a week  that averages $541 a month. So luckily for your family that would give you an extra 40 a month. Ask yourself it that honestly includes every meal and then how far the $40 would go. If it's still there It's great that you can do that. My family could not do it.Also let factor in that extra will cover holidays and birthdays. Summer meals when they're out of school.

Neither could the average family who recieves the $581 a month. The more than likely don't have a car. Because if they had the extra funds to pay for the car ( auto expense are not factored in your food stamp budget) then they wouldn't be recieving the full $581. So without a car your shopping where you can get to. This effects how you spend as well.Also where you live. A gallon of milk is $4 where I live. We drink eight or nine a month. Two loaves of bread a week. Milk and bread alone would be ten percent of my familys budget. Produce and trying to keep us eating healthy with two teenagers and a first grader? A bag of fruit is gone in an afternoon. Five bananas a day for our morning fruit. Also I have a big trucker husband so perhaps my family eats more than averagelbhad much extra left over.

I think it's the average is just that an average for a fair amount a family would spend. So perhaps your family spends a little less mine a little more it's about right and I wouldn't want any family less.

I understand you didn't say different. You only said that's more than your family. I'm just stating this in general.

LIMom1105
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Its not impossible, but it would be hard. I spend about $700 a month on groceries for a family of 3 (this includes food out most months, we don't eat out a lot). We live in the NJ metro area though, and everything costs more here, which is another issue with food stamps. That money goes farther some areas than others. Also, if you choose (or have to) buy a lot if cheap processed foods, it will stretch more than if you buy organic produce and meat (which we mostly do).

Simmeringhearts
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this should be required on some level. Good for your church! That family will be ahead more.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our church helped out a family last year that is on food stamps.  They asked for help again this year... instead of just giving them food, our church gave them seeds and helped them plant a garden.  Then they sent me.  I shopped with her for 3 months to teach her how to eat and how to shop in order to make the most nutritionally for her family.  We used the small amount of money that she used to "chip in" for her food bill to buy her a breadmaker and a crockpot over the course of the year.  I spent a few weekends with her and we canned and froze some of the extras she got from her garden.  She now doesn't need our help next year, so we will be able to help another family.

The real problem with food stamps IMO is that no one teaches the recipients HOW to shop and how to prepare meals that fit in that budget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN