Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Republicans Should Never Change Stance on Abortion - Do you agree?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM
  • 98 Replies
1 mom liked this

Republicans Should Never Change Stance on Abortion

Posted by Jenny Erikson on November 20, 2012

pro-life marchSince Mitt Romney lost the presidential election a couple of weeks ago, conservatives have been contemplating what went wrong. Was it the mega Orca fail whale? Voter fraud? Big Bird?

Inevitably, we come to the big tent talk.

Here’s the thing: Republicans shouldn’t have to transition to liberal ideology to attract specific demographics. The concept of limited government and personal responsibility should appeal to everyone.

Conservative ideals should appeal to everyone, but for some reason, people get more caught up in free birth control than in freedom from an oppressive government. It’s like people have forgotten that a government big enough to provide you with everything is big enough to take it all away. 

Anyway. No matter who pays for your contraceptives, it’s clear that Republicans have some thinking to do regarding how they treat social issues.

I read this interesting article in the Wall Street Journal from a Republican female college student talking about the trajectory of the GOP. She argued (in one of my favorite lines I’ve read this week), “The GOP is like a supermodel who has been doing photo shoots under fluorescent bulbs without any makeup.”

The author pointed out that Republicans are losing votes because young voters view them as “social bigots.” She said, “As a member of this all-important demographic, I know that neither I nor (almost) anybody else coming of age today supports the Republican social agenda. That's the way the country is moving -- so just deal with it. Modernize and prioritize.” 

I agree with her -- to a point, at least. There are many ways I believe the GOP can embrace a more socially liberal model while retaining its core value of limited government intervention. For example: Gay marriage. Of course a person can believe that marriage is between one man and one woman and also not care if the state legally binds a gay couple together. It’s called freedom of choice, people. 

One thing I cannot get behind in this shift to the New GOP is the issue of abortion. I know that young people want their right to clear their uteruses of the “products of conception,” but once upon a time, people wanted their right to own slaves. Don’t impose your morality on me, they’d cry.

Here’s the thing about morality and other people: Your rights end when another person’s begin. Abortion isn’t about morality -- it’s about science. Like it or not, that’s a baby in there, complete with its very own DNA.

I’m all for pro-choice politics, but let’s be honest: The choice comes in at the sex part. If having a baby is such an awful, terrible idea, I suggest you religiously use both hormonal birth control and condoms. Or, you know, don’t have sex. It’s not like we’re animals and controlled by base urges.

Ok, fine. Let’s talk about rape. I believe this is the kind of thing one might call a compromise. How about we don’t outlaw abortion for rape or incest? The only lunatic talking along these lines is Todd Akin, and he does NOT speak for the majority of Republican women. Dude is an idiot, and no one is trying to outlaw abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Both Mitt Romney and Ann Coulter agree on not outlawing abortion for rape, so I think that pretty well represents both ends of the Republican spectrum.

Since we’re talking about what the vast majority of Republicans believe regarding reproductive rights, let me reiterate: 

No one is trying to outlaw birth control.

No one is forcing pregnancy upon women. 

No one is trying to put a federal ban on abortion.

Hopefully someday, no one will stand on his or her “moral” high ground talk about the right to kill an unborn child at its mother’s discretion just because she decides she doesn’t want to be pregnant anymore.

I will not stop fighting for the right to life for the unborn just because it’s the popular thing to do with young voters. Abortion isn’t a social issue; it’s a liberty issue. Babies are people too.

And hey, you know what’s great about the GOP? We won’t kick you out for disagreeing with one of our tenants. Because really ... the right to end the life of an unborn child shouldn’t trump the right to raise the ones we keep without tens of thousands of dollars in government debt on their heads.

Do you agree?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

I disagree. Complex issues like abortion should be fluid. As someones understanding of the world grows and changes their opinions should grow and change with them.

I think they should be prepared to explain how and why their opinion changed so people understand they aren't just saying what we want to hear, but i don't think any person or group is obligated to be stagnant.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Very well said. I agree.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I disagree. Complex issues like abortion should be fluid. As someones understanding of the world grows and changes their opinions should grow and change with them.

I think they should be prepared to explain how and why their opinion changed so people understand they aren't just saying what we want to hear, but i don't think any person or group is obligated to be stagnant.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Not all Republicans are ProLife.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the article.  Just as there are extremists regarding abortion on the left, there are extremes on the right.  There is a balance in between, and each side serves a purpose. 

I do think that all Republicans should be involved as they can on th epersonal and local level with serving the community and helping individuals live good lives, including avoiding the painful experience of abortion, but also including helping the children who are already here...but I also believe the GOP is an important voice for the unborn which should never go away.

Bookwormy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM
5 moms liked this
I think the Republican party should focus on small government & fiscal conservativism and abandon *all* social issues to the citizenry. Otherwise they're hyocrites. We want small goverment except we want in your bedroom, in your marriage, in your family, & in your doctor office. Sounds hypocritical to me. If you don't belive in abortion, same sex or interracial marriage, same sex or interracial adoption, don't have one. But quit making it a political issue already. Or the Republican party can become the Retirement party & the White House can be a one party race. Or it can be the Dems vs the Libertarians.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.  I think that when you advocate for small government but then take a stance on what a person can do with her body it comes off as hypocritical.  Furthermore, it makes the Republican party look too rigid on their views especially as the world of science evolves and gives us more answers to things such as life.  They need to be more open to the possibilities that they are wrong, just like Democrats should be open to that possibility.  

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I agree with you Blues.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I disagree.  I think that when you advocate for small government but then take a stance on what a person can do with her body it comes off as hypocritical.  Furthermore, it makes the Republican party look too rigid on their views especially as the world of science evolves and gives us more answers to things such as life.  They need to be more open to the possibilities that they are wrong, just like Democrats should be open to that possibility.  

jonnlilithsmom
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

if you believe so strongly in small government, and personal responsibility, why on earth would you want to create laws which must then be enforced by government representatives, to limit half the population's control over their own bodies and what happens in/to them?  how much more personal can responsibility get?

have you not heard about the woman in Ireland who recently died because they wouldn't perform an abortion despite there being no hope for the fetus?  

is that really what you want for America?  for your daughters and granddaughters?

Regardless of what some people would like us to beleive, women do die in pregnancy and child-birth, and some of them can be saved by abortion... how can you claim to be pro-life when you are willing to let them die?

jonnlilithsmom
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

so very true... no one who is pro-war is pro-life

Quoting lylalane7275:

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Put us all in a box.  How narrow minded of you.

Quoting jonnlilithsmom:

so very true... no one who is pro-war is pro-life

Quoting lylalane7275:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)