Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Another attempt to repeal Obamacare

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

House GOP is angling to repeal health care

6:45 PM, Nov 20, 2012   |  
Comments
Barack Obama, John Kasich
Republican Gov. John Kasich announced last week that Ohio will not implement one of the government-run exchanges mandated under the president's health care law, and will preserve the state's ability to regulate health insurance on its own. / AP

The background

• Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Friday informed the federal government that the state will opt for federal government management of Ohio’s health care exchange, a key portion of health care reform. 
• Kasich wrote that Ohio will try to keep control of several features of the plan, such as determining who qualifies for Medicaid and enforcing rules on plan benefits. 
• The exchanges are meant to provide a market for individuals and the smallest of companies to buy affordable health care policies, with subsidies available for low-income consumers. 
• Kentucky, under Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, has moved toward operating its own state exchange. 
• Indiana last week, like Ohio, also defaulted to a federal exchange at the direction of Gov.-elect Mike Pence, a Republican.

John Boehner of West Chester Township is Speaker of the House and represents Ohio’s 8th congressional district, which includes most of Butler County.

President Obama has won re-election, but his health care law is still driving up costs and making it harder for small businesses to hire workers. As was the case before the election, Obamacare has to go.

The tactics of our repeal efforts will have to change. But the strategic imperative remains the same. If we’re serious about getting our economy moving again, solving our debt and restoring prosperity for American families, we need to repeal Obamacare and enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that start with lowering the cost of health care.

The president’s health care law adds a massive, expensive, unworkable government program at a time when our national debt already exceeds the size of our country’s entire economy. We can’t afford it, and we can’t afford to leave it intact. That’s why I’ve been clear that the law has to stay on the table as both parties discuss ways to solve our nation’s massive debt challenge.

Congress has a constitutional responsibility to conduct thorough oversight of the executive branch, and congressional oversight will play a critical role in repealing Obamacare going forward.

Over the past couple of years, I have noted there are essentially three major routes to repeal of the president’s law: the courts, the presidential election process and the congressional oversight process. With two of those three routes having come up short, the third and final one becomes more important than ever.

Vigorous oversight of the health care law by the House can be expected and, in fact, is already under way. The House Ways & Means Committee recently issued a subpoena directing that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services turn over any and all information regarding how taxpayer dollars have been used to promote Obamacare.

It’s the second subpoena HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has faced from congressional Republicans in as many months, according to Politico, which notes that “the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee subpoenaed the agency to turn over documents to determine if funds from a Medicare Advantage demonstration program are being used improperly.”

One state that has acted clearly and decisively with respect to Obamacare is our own state of Ohio. Gov. John Kasich announced Friday that Ohio will not implement one of the government-run exchanges mandated under the president’s health care law, and will preserve our state’s ability to regulate health insurance on its own.

I’m proud of our governor and lieutenant governor for taking this stand and resisting the federal takeover of health care in Ohio. Repeal of the president’s health care law is critically important to the economic future of our country.

With President Obama and his party still in control of most of Washington, stopping Obamacare will require both bold state leadership and vigorous oversight by members of the House of Representatives.

Such action will be critical in protecting the American people and our economy from the impact of this disastrous federal law.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!!! Yes, YEs, YES!!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

fingers crossed

I'll try not to get my hopes up....crybaby John Boehner(?) is sneaky.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Indiana announced last Thursday they are doing the same thing.  Many states are to push the point. Yes!

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Here's to FIFTY states jumping onboard to the repeal of Obamacare! 

I was just doing a lot of reading about about Obamacare and the more I read, the madder I get.  The more you earn, the more you pay towards Obamacare.  But according to Obama, "this is not a tax." 

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Quoting SeakingPeace:

I was just doing a lot of reading about about Obamacare and the more I read, the madder I get.  The more you earn, the more you pay towards Obamacare.  But according to Obama, "this is not a tax." 

@ least you are reading it. Many have not. Nancy Pelosi said you have to pass the bill to see what's in it....

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Thanks, blondekosmic15. 

I think she's a little spacey at times!  In this clip she sounded like a mom who has just been asked, "Ah, mommy...What did you get me for Christmas?"  Mom responds, "Oh, honey, you'll just have to wait until you open your present."  LOL

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting SeakingPeace:

@ least you are reading it. Many have not. Nancy Pelosi said you have to pass the bill to see what's in it....

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

They are not going to repeal it, but they do need to Fix some parts of it everyone admits that. Even Boehner agrees it is not going to happen and they are open to fixing it. Only Extremist like Ryan and others want it repealed still. 

They will work out want needs to be fixed over time. I for  one want Everyone to pay for their own health care  it is time that everyone have to share responsibilty and thus control the burden those of us with Insurance have to pay to make up the difference now. This will lead to more states having low income health care clinics people can go to and get them out of the emergency rooms.  Oregon has been developing this for some time with Federal funds other states should be doing the same.

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

well, it's all part of the great compromise that everyone want's to see happen on the hill. The president should be open to repealing a good majority of his disastrous bill. It's unaffordable and quite an overreach into the private lives of others. And without the states being willing to set up those exchanges it is the federal government that will have to do it and pay for it themselves. You know the fed... slow, slow, slow. 

As for low income health clinics, it sounds great in theory however, we are already short of the necessary nursing staff, and doctors for those who see doctors now. Estimates have been touted that in just a few short years we could be around 700,000 doctors short given this expansion. That doesn't equate to better care, that ends up with patients seeing someone for a few minutes, months down the road. Or being handed off to nurses, or PA's. I don't know about you, but I like being able to see my doctor on the regular, and having a one on one relationship with him. 

Quoting NancSBRN:

They are not going to repeal it, but they do need to Fix some parts of it everyone admits that. Even Boehner agrees it is not going to happen and they are open to fixing it. Only Extremist like Ryan and others want it repealed still. 

They will work out want needs to be fixed over time. I for  one want Everyone to pay for their own health care  it is time that everyone have to share responsibilty and thus control the burden those of us with Insurance have to pay to make up the difference now. This will lead to more states having low income health care clinics people can go to and get them out of the emergency rooms.  Oregon has been developing this for some time with Federal funds other states should be doing the same.

DixieL
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM

They will never stop trying, but it won't happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)