Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

6 ‘NAUGHTY’ COMPANIES THAT ARE ALLEGEDLY ‘CHRISTMAS UNFRIENDLY’

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 33 Replies

6 ‘NAUGHTY’ COMPANIES THAT ARE ALLEGEDLY ‘CHRISTMAS UNFRIENDLY’

Each holiday season, the Liberty Counsel (LC), a conservative, non-profit litigation and education organization, publishes its “Naughty and Nice List.” The purpose of the endeavor is to inform the public about the “retailers that acknowledge Christmas” and those businesses “that pretend it doesn’t exist.”

Naturally, those companies landing on the “nice” list are those which embrace Christmas and refrain from watering down the holiday’s true spirit. On the flip side, “naughty” companies are those that, in some way, purportedly dismiss the Christmas tradition.

According to LC, the designations are made based on the organization’s research and on reports from consumers. As each holiday season progresses, companies are added to both the “naughty” and “nice” roster. Below, find six of the most interesting and well-known brands on the “naughty” list.

AMERICAN EAGLE OUTFITTERS, INC.

LC claims that American Eagle is had an “egregious disregard” for Christmas over the past five years. As for its web site, the organization writes that the company “profits off colors, sights, sounds and symbols of ‘Christmas’ yet remains exclusive of ‘Christmas.’” The final verdict? With no products and lacking in Christmas spirit, LC concludes that the company is “‘Christmas’ unfriendly.”

Photo Credit: American Eagle

GAP

Like American Eagle, the GAP doesn’t use the word “Christmas” anywhere on its web site. Considering that no items are sold in relation to the holiday, LC has added it to its “naughty” list as well. The group accuses the company of purging the word from its “stores, commercials or other advertisements.”

6 Naughty Companies That Allegedly Ignore Christmas | Liberty Counsel

Photo Credit: GAP

GARMIN

According to LC, Garmin should become known for much more than its GPS systems and other technologies. An analysis of the company’s web site apparently found no contemporary mentions of “Christmas.” However, the organization reports that the Christian holiday has been mentioned in the past. LC wants shoppers to express their “disappointment over the company’s non-acknowledgement of ‘Christmas.’”

Screen shot of the Garmin web site, featuring the word “holiday”

OLD NAVY

Owned by Gap, Inc., Old Navy has also come under fire by LC for not promoting “Christmas” in its stores. While the word “holidays” is touted on the company’s web site, Christmas, itself, is not promoted. Considering the GAP’s handling of this issue on its own site, there’s no surprise there.

Screen shot from Old Navy’s web site

TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY 

A seemingly odd inclusion, LC claims that Tractor Supply Company’s web site includes no mention of Christmas. While the company does offer a “Happy Holidays” gift card, as of today there is no mention of the Christian holiday on the front page of the company. But it must be mentioned that, upon searching for “Christmas,” numerous items (see below) pertaining to the holiday are for sale by Tractor Supply Company.

Screen shot from the Tractor Supply Company web site

ABERCROMBIE & FITCH

Last, but not least, we feature the clothing company Abercrombie & Fitch. Currently, LC has the business listed as being anti-Christmas. While the group claims the holiday isn’t mentioned anywhere on the Abercrombie web site, TheBlaze found it prominently featured on its homepage. Perhaps this change went into effect after LC published this year’s list. Here’s the pro-Christmas screen shot.

Screen shot of the Abercrombie web site

For the full list of companies that are purportedly hostile to Christmas (and those that are “nice”),click here.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Liberty Counsel should stop persecuting those businesses for believing differently.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

blues_pagan
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Now, now we all know that this isn't persecution.  These businesses should realize that "Jesus is the reason for the season" and that America is a predominately Christian nation so they should make sure to have Christ and Christmas displayed everywhere. 

If they don't do so then that is persecution of Christians since they are taking a role in the War on Christmas.

eye rolling

Quoting Friday:

Liberty Counsel should stop persecuting those businesses for believing differently.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM
What a ridiculous waste of money...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM
This is stupidity at its best. Who cares? Not everyone celebrates Christmas so they just keep it holiday themed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bek22
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't care if they are Christmas friendly or not. One thing is for sure though, they sure don't mind making a profit off of Christmas. And just out of curiosity, why do people who don't believe in God have such a problem with people who do? I'm not bashing anyone for not being a Christian, but it seems that everywhere I turn Christians are being made fun of. This is suppose to be the country that has freedom of religion,even for Christians.
mikiemom
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

this LC place needs to adjust their perspective, these companies are not anti-christmas they are pro-everyone. When did being inclusive of all - to include christmas become a bad thing. Recognizing that there are other holidays in addition to christmas is not anti-christmas.

This shit is just really crazy.

Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM

You do know that there are Christians who do not celebrate Christmas, right? They're in the minority but they are out there. I know, I live with one of them. And, FYI, I'm an atheist, an atheist who would actually celebrate Christmas if my (again, CHRISTIAN) husband didn't have a freaking FIT when I do. He likes to say I'm rebellious if I do anything Christmas related and would GLARE at me when I put the tree up. This is also the man who (because I was due with our firstborn child Christmas Eve) prayed and fasted for nearly 48 hours (that's no food OR water) because he didn't want me having the baby Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. He got his wish, baby wasn't born until December 27. Course, by the time I was admitted, he was too hungry and tired to be of any use to me during my labor.

For him, Jesus is not the reason for the season. For him, Christmas is an evil pagan holiday that should not at all be celebrated. As an atheist, I don't believe that at all.

Quoting Bek22:

I don't care if they are Christmas friendly or not. One thing is for sure though, they sure don't mind making a profit off of Christmas. And just out of curiosity, why do people who don't believe in God have such a problem with people who do? I'm not bashing anyone for not being a Christian, but it seems that everywhere I turn Christians are being made fun of. This is suppose to be the country that has freedom of religion,even for Christians.

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM
3 moms liked this

You mean like how people persecuted Chick Fil A for expressing their beliefs?

Quoting Friday:

SeakingPeace
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Although I did appreciate learning which companies are "Christmas" friendly and which companies aren't, I can honestly say that the list doesn't dissuade me from patronizing the non-Christmas friendly stores.  However...as I am out and about I proudly say, "Merry Christmas" to every cashier who rings me out.  Because for ME, this is Christmas.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SeakingPeace:

You mean like how people persecuted Chick Fil A for expressing their beliefs?

Quoting Friday:

Exactly, neither are persecuted at all. I was being sarcastic. Choosing to boycott a business because you disagree with their business practices or where they spend their money is our right as Americans, not persecution.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN