Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graph of the day: Medicaid, Medicare patients most satisfied with health costs

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

For over a decade now, Gallup has polled Americans on their satisfaction with health-care costs. They’ve recently noticed a gap between satisfaction of the privately insured and those with Medicare or Medicaid, which widened in the most recent round of research:

In some ways this is pretty intuitive. Medicaid and Medicare are limited in their ability to raise the cost of benefits, whereas private insurers have no such brake pedal. Gallup’s Jeffrey M. Jones writes that a lot of this appears to be driven by the growing cost of private insurance in recent years, as the cost of public programs have remained relatively stable for patients (if not for the government):

The changing landscape of health insurance in recent decades could be affecting privately insured Americans’ satisfaction with their health costs. The vast majority (64%) of Americans with private insurance now say their health premiums costs are shared. This is up from 54% in 2001. While the 22% saying they personally pay the entire cost has not changed appreciably, the 10% saying their employer pays the entire cost is down by more than half from 2001.

More from Gallup here

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
29again
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

LOL!!  Of course those receiving medicaid are satisfied with their healthcare costs!!  How can it get better than FREE?!!!  And for some people, there is even payment for going to the doctor!  What could be better than THAT?

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Lol, right? But I certainly don't want to have to go through the Medicaid doctors yikes. 

Quoting 29again:

LOL!!  Of course those receiving medicaid are satisfied with their healthcare costs!!  How can it get better than FREE?!!!  And for some people, there is even payment for going to the doctor!  What could be better than THAT?

29again
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:51 AM

They are the same doctors that privately insured patients see.  It is just that medicaid is treated as an insurance program, and it doesn't pay out much, so the doctors (at least in my area) will only accept so many medicaid patients.  Besides, once the Feds get the exchanges all set up, and the employers stop offering insurance, we will all of us be getting medicaid, to all intents and purposes....  =(

Quoting Canvas_says:

Lol, right? But I certainly don't want to have to go through the Medicaid doctors yikes. 

Quoting 29again:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Well maybe it's different state to state, but many of our doctors no longer accept Medicaid patients. My doctor was doing it for years but refusing to provide vaccinations. His office no longer accepts Medicaid at all now. My sister is on Medicaid, they have two choices for eye glasses, 1 choice for a dentist, and 3 choices for surgical dentistry but it's a good 45 minute drive. Her doctors appointments are now all at the hospital clinic so her wait times are insane. 

Quoting 29again:

They are the same doctors that privately insured patients see.  It is just that medicaid is treated as an insurance program, and it doesn't pay out much, so the doctors (at least in my area) will only accept so many medicaid patients.  Besides, once the Feds get the exchanges all set up, and the employers stop offering insurance, we will all of us be getting medicaid, to all intents and purposes....  =(

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting 29again:

29again
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I'm sure it does vary from state to state.  I do know that here where I live (in OH) I had an extremely hard time years ago finding a pedi when my girls were little.  I was told by many docs that they had all their medicaid patients.  Of course, as SOON as we got private insurance again, I heard a totally different tune.  I'm pretty sure that things haven't changed much over the last 20 years or so, especially when you factor in the lowered re-imbursements and the raised costs associated with health care.  As for vax, when my girls were little, the docs didn't do any vax, I was told to go to the Health dept for them.  But with my son, his pedi did them in the office.  I'm not sure what changed, because although the insurance co changed, we still had private insurance during both times.  (My son is 13, while all of my girls are 20 and up.)

Quoting Canvas_says:

Well maybe it's different state to state, but many of our doctors no longer accept Medicaid patients. My doctor was doing it for years but refusing to provide vaccinations. His office no longer accepts Medicaid at all now. My sister is on Medicaid, they have two choices for eye glasses, 1 choice for a dentist, and 3 choices for surgical dentistry but it's a good 45 minute drive. Her doctors appointments are now all at the hospital clinic so her wait times are insane. 

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting 29again:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Kissy,

Sometimes you are on, sometimes you are off......................You have so many details for your "on times' that you make an ex engineer like me proud..........................

Now, this one just has one major glaring flaw in logic I cannot ignore an I have to call it it a total miss..............

As stated, the Medicare/Medicade are not paid for by the customer like private insurance.

It's not like comparing apple to oranges.  It's like comparing apples to watermelon or maybe apples to a can of worms.....................

can of worms

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

franmoor
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Of course they are totally different since one is paid and the other is much cheaper. Clients are more happy when it is free right? :)

http://www.onlineinsuranceportal.com/what-does-medicare-cover/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)