Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hardly working: Congress in session 126 days next year

Posted by   + Show Post

Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor released the new House calendar for the 113th Congress on Friday, and if you thought the 112th Congress was unproductive—just wait.

In 2013, the House will be in session for a grand total of 126 days. Congress will spend roughly two-thirds of the year not working. In January, Congress will be in session for eight days—which, compared to August where they will be in session for two days, is considered a “full month.” June will be Congress’ busiest month with 16 whole days of work.

If only we could all give ourselves 239 days off every year.

113thCongress1stSession

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Replies (21-25):
acrogodess
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I'm definitely in the wrong line of work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If the House don't work full time they should not be getting full time benefits and they should only be getting paid for the days they work in DC and at home.

Rhodin
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually I would prefer they work even less.  The thing is that they're legislators and legislators legislate.  The last thing we need is even more regulaton.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

There are 365 days in a year, we'll say 52 weekends, so minus 104 days is 261. Then there are federal holidays...LOTS of those, let's say 20, so we're down to 241 and if they get 2 weeks of vacation we're at about 227. They are in session 126, so a little more than 1/2 of those days. If business persons go out of town on business they are usually paid for the days they travel. I'm guessing they have things they work on, bills, reading bills (I hope) or research or working on helping constituents in DC and also at home. 

They are paid a salary and not hourly. *shrug* I know there are some weeks my hubby works 60 hours and some he works 35...it all evens out in the end. He also gets 4 weeks of vacation. 

Quoting nanaofsix531:

If the House don't work full time they should not be getting full time benefits and they should only be getting paid for the days they work in DC and at home.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

If you research it a bit, you will find that this schedule was designed so Senators and Congressmen and women can spend more time in their districts working with constituents - instead of being cloistered up in DC. They are still working when they are meeting with constituents - just as ordinary people can work from many different locations, including home, and still be considered as "working".

From the 1700s through the early 1900s, Congressional leaders used to be in DC half the year - which is the same as this. I don't see a problem - unless these elected leaders are not in fact working.

Maybe you could sign up people to check in at their offices - sort of "secret shoppers" - for Senators and Congressmen and women - to see if Senators and Congressmen and women really are working. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN