Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Workers Cheer Living Wage Victory in Austin

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Workers Cheer Living Wage Victory in Austin

Workers Defense Project. Photo by John Anderson, The Austin Chronicle

Construction workers and others in the Austin, Texas, area are celebrating a coalition victory this week after Travis County commissioners approved a first-ever economic development policy that includes a living wage requirement.

The policy requires contractors asking for tax incentives to move into the county to pay all employees at least $11 per hour. It’s a significant improvement over the prevailing construction hourly wage of $7.50.

On the same day the county provision passed, a subcommittee of the Austin City Council passed a similar policy, which will come to the full council in the coming months. As reported in the Austin American-Statesman, both the city and county have been criticized about generous tax incentives offered in recent years to major companies such as Apple and Marriott.

Along with faith-based and student organizations, the Texas Building and Construction Trades Council, the Laborers (LIUNA), the Electrical Workers (IBEW)AFSCME Local 1624Education Austin (AFT)and Texas State Employees Union (TSEU)/CWA Local 6186 participated in the yearlong campaign spearheaded by the Austin-based Workers Defense Project (WDP). The 1,000-member WDP has worked for 10 years on wage theft and other workers’ rights issues.

Austin Interfaith and United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) were among others that supported the campaign.

“Really, what this means is construction workers are starting to have a say in their working conditions and their pay,” WDP organizer Greg Casar told a celebratory crowd after the county commissioners voted.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
erika9009
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This kind of policy usually results in higher prices for the customer and less people being employed. 

I'm not sure how that's a win if you are the "lucky" one let go because your company cannot afford to pay everyone that $11 hr.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Quoting erika9009:

This kind of policy usually results in higher prices for the customer and less people being employed. 

I'm not sure how that's a win if you are the "lucky" one let go because your company cannot afford to pay everyone that $11 hr.

You continually pop in here and make sense, why do you do that?

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Fewer jobs.

Yay said the Democrat.

eye rolling

erika9009
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting erika9009:

You continually pop in here and make sense, why do you do that?

Sorry, I will try to contain myself better.  All that stupid, wasteful education as an engineer, just made me practical.  What a waste...............................LOL

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN