Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Texas Church Offers Firearms Classes To Train Parishioners To Defend Against Imaginary Bands Of Mexicans

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 65 Replies

Texas Church Offers Firearms Classes To Train Parishioners To Defend Against Imaginary Bands Of Mexicans

The Times of London reports that several American churches are now offering concealed firearms training in order to attract worshipers to their pews. One of these churches, Heights Baptist in San Angelo, Texas offers a particularly unusual reason why they are now training their parishioners to pack heat — in order toprevent worship services from being disrupted by armed Mexicans:

In Texas, where it’s legal to carry guns into any church without a specific no-firearms policy, Heights Baptist in remote San Angelo began offering concealed carry classes in June. The class was a response to security concerns among congregants.

We’re about 150 miles from the border with Mexico and we’re very unsure about our insecure borders — about what’s coming into our cities,” Pastor James Miller told NRA News. “Personally, I feel more secure that should our worship time be interrupted by a life-threatening intrusion, that we would at least stand some kind of a chance in stopping either a mass killing or terrorizing experience.”

Miller also claims there is a spiritual component to carrying a Glock hidden beneath your Sunday best: “Jesus advises his disciples to sell their cloak and buy a sword. He instructed his people to be prepared to defend themselves.”

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM
3 moms liked this

You know, I don't like to go for this overreaction thing, but the drug cartel violence in Mexico is scary, and does come up across the border. They found a money laundering scheme from a Mexican drug cartel up here in San Antonio, and we had an incident with an airman outracing someone, believed to be drug cartel thugs, to get on base because he knew they would not be able to follow him on base. Now, I am sure he was involved in something illegal, and that is why they were chasing him, but I don't like it. We also had a break-out from Mexico of about 140 inmates just across the border back in Sept. We were warned here in the news that some may have been heading up this way.

I am not comfortable with everyone walking around armed, but I understand to an extent their nervousness.

PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Smart people : )

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You've gotta watch out for those feral packs of Mexicans...they'll kill anyone they come into contact with. I'm confident that this is exactly what Jesus would do.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Uhhh...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsmesteph11
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM
6 moms liked this

There is no such thing as imaginary bands of Mexicans on the Tx border. They are alive and well, pillaging ranches and homes and bringing drugs and guns to and fro. Not to mention the people smuggling.  The guy has a right to his own words. People who live on the borders understand what he means even though they may not agree on the method.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting UpSheRises:

You've gotta watch out for those feral packs of Mexicans...they'll kill anyone they come into contact with. I'm confident that this is exactly what Jesus would do.

I'm pretty liberal, and don't like a lot of the hyperbole, but there is violence that crosses the border. The drug cartels are very violent and have no problem killing people on either side of the border if they get in their way. Now, I don't have a gun in my house, but if lived in the country, or out a ways, and nearer the border, I would be armed.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Okay so the way he speaks sounds a little kooky but they are close to the border and the violence there is ridiculous. I wouldn't live tha close to the border and if I did, I'd have a gun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

My religion teaches non violence. I will stick with them.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I'm pretty liberal, and don't like a lot of the hyperbole, but there is violence that crosses the border. The drug cartels are very violent and have no problem killing people on either side of the border if they get in their way. Now, I don't have a gun in my house, but if lived in the country, or out a ways, and nearer the border, I would be armed.

That wasn't something i considered initially but your right, cross border violence is a legitimate concern. I do think though, that the hyperbole can be just as dangerous.

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Better to be prepared, than not. *shrugs

I wish MY church offered it. The local range gets kinda lonely.. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon after service.

cowgirl

YEEHAW!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)