By Eileen F. Toplansky
Remember the "Life of Julia" advertisement that Obama posted before the election? It documented how the government would take care of Julia from the age of three until she was 67 years of age. Even MSNBC's Willie Geist asserted that "[n]o one wants to think that from the age of three they [sic] are going to need the government to take care of them."
Though many fell for the "war on women" campaign, it is important to highlight what a crass political move it was and to call Barack Obama out on his alleged concern for women -- especially those in the Middle East, who are now under physical as well as psychological assault.
Ruth Whitehead at the Daily Mail explains that "Egypt's ruling party is paying gangs of thugs to sexually assault women protesting in Cairo's Tahrir Square against President Mohamed Morsi." Additionally, "the Muslim Brotherhood is paying gangs to beat up men who are taking part in the latest round of protests, which followed a decree by President Morsi to give himself sweeping new powers."
Notwithstanding this ongoing development, the Obama administration refuses to comment on Morsi's totalitarian grip on power. The Egyptian draft constitution, which was passed, includes a measure that will keep sharia law as the nation's main source of legislation. Without a doubt, this will bring restrictions on freedom of speech and on women's rights. Christians have already been excluded from the vote concerning the constitution.
Thus, a little Egyptian girl born today named Jendayi (which means thankful) will one day grow to know only the following sharia-enforced laws, as elucidated by Syed Kamran Mirza.
- A marriage that can take place any time after birth and be consummated at the age of eight or nine years old.
- If Jendayi should be rebellious in any way, this gives her husband permission to beat her and keep her from leaving the home.
- Since there is no common property between a husband and a wife, if the husband dies, his property does not automatically go to the wife after his death.
- A woman inherits half what a man inherits.
- A man has the right to have up to four wives, and the wife has no right to divorce him even if he is polygamous.
- The dowry is given in exchange for the woman's sexual organs. Thus, Jendayi is objectified as simply a reproductive machine.
- A man is allowed to have sex with slave women. Indeed, slavery still exists in the Arab world.
- If the enslaved woman is married, her own marriage is annulled.
- The testimony of a woman in court is half the value of a man -- that is, two women are equal to one man.
- A woman loses custody of her children if she remarries.
- A rapist may be required only to pay the bride-money or dowry without marrying the rape victim.
- A Muslim woman must cover every inch of her body which is considered "Awrah," or a sexual organ.
- A Muslim man is forgiven if he kills his wife caught in the act of adultery. However, the opposite is not true for women.
- The perpetrators of genocide, mass rape, and plunder will not be punished if they repent.
- To prove rape, a woman must have four male witnesses. Furthermore, any woman's testimony is not accepted.
- A Muslim man's life is worth 33 times that of a Hindu woman in paying "blood money" or compensation.
Besides these draconian indignities, freedom of speech is non-existent. Even to sing any "modern music including any sexually explicit music of any kind is strictly prohibited and punishable by the Islamic sharia code of justice." Jendayi will have little to be thankful for.
Yet there is nary a peep from Obama, who "refuses to criticize Egypt's anti-free speech, and anti-women's rights constitution, but finds time to criticize new Israeli housing projects." So while the sinister threats to women, Christians, and any opposed to sharia imposition continue, Barack Hussein Obama remains mute.
Funny how Julia was so important to get him elected, but Jendayi doesn't really matter. After all, Obama aided and abetted the emergence of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. In the Investors Business Daily editorial of July 19, 2012 entitled "How Obama Engineered Mideast Radicalization," the reader is given a timeline that highlights Obama's "calculated decision" to "effectively sell out Israel and U.S. interests in the Mideast to the Islamists."
Let me repeat: "effectively sell out." That is strong language, but then again, Obama, of Muslim background, wrote in The Audacity of Hope that he "will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction" (261). Clearly he has already turned his back on the Jendayis of the world.
Where does that leave the rest of us?