Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Entitled? Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 54 Replies
DETROIT (WJBK) -- The city of Detroit faces a major financial crisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city. (Click the video player to listen)

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson. "That's what you do."

Young served as Detroit's mayor for 20 years and served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city that some experts say

could run out of money by the end of the year.

The federal government has bailed out cities in the past, however. In 1975, President Gerald Ford extended more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20264712/detroit-councilwoman-to-obama-we-supported-you-now-support-us
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM
4 moms liked this
No. How about cities and states learn to better manage their money? Cities get both federal and state funding. A bailout wouldn't do anything for them if they just squander the bailout money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
8 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughterOh holy crap..here it comes.

Next Ohio residents will protest cuts in their EBT cards and outdated "Obama phones"...

I can't WAIT for the protest march on Pennsylvania Ave when the Ohio woman who believed Barry was going to pay for her mortgage and gas realizes he isn't going to.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

But Barry promised to pay for their cell phones, gas and mortgages.

Quoting acrogodess:

No. How about cities and states learn to better manage their money? Cities get both federal and state funding. A bailout wouldn't do anything for them if they just squander the bailout money.

acrogodess
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Really? Because I voted for him and never once saw such promises, but I don't take my voting cues from YouTube and I know who started the the so called Obama phone and both landline and cell phone programs were started under Republican administrations and aren't funded by federal taxes, but by a tax we pay the phone companies.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

But Barry promised to pay for their cell phones, gas and mortgages.

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM
7 moms liked this

Yup great plan, then we will have no local governments & nothing but a big federal government, just what this country needs.

When will people, cities, states learn to freaking stand on their own damn feet.  Pull together & figure shit out, stop expecting everyone to bail you out, give you  a freaking hand out.

I am so tired of everyone expecting to get a hand out & get bailed out!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson.

Bacon makes you FAT.  Sure, to some people, it tastes good, but, eventually, it makes you FAT.  People need to exercise the FAT out of their minds and bodies.  Look at what happens to bacon when you heat it up.  There's a ton of FAT left in the pan, but some of that fat winds up in your body.  Just plain GROSS.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Now I want some bacon

Quoting rocketracer:

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson.

Bacon makes you FAT.  Sure, to some people, it tastes good, but, eventually, it makes you FAT.  People need to exercise the FAT out of their minds and bodies.  Look at what happens to bacon when you heat it up.  There's a ton of FAT left in the pan, but some of that fat winds up in your body.  Just plain GROSS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Have fun clogging your arteries and getting fat.

Quoting Fields456:

Now I want some bacon

Quoting rocketracer:

acrogodess
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Bacon sounds lovely right now all hot and crispy and fresh. :-(

Quoting Fields456:

Now I want some bacon

Quoting rocketracer:

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I know I'm thinking a bacon spinach tomato And avocado sandwich is for lunch

Quoting acrogodess:

Bacon sounds lovely right now all hot and crispy and fresh. :-(

Quoting Fields456:

Now I want some bacon

Quoting rocketracer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN