Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What is the Worst Politically Correct Thing......................to You?

Posted by   + Show Post

What is the worst politically correct thing to you?

Mine is still people calling Easter eggs "Spring Eggs".............................Yet, they still do it on Easter, not March 21st.

banging head into wall

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Replies (161-170):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Thanks about my dad. He died on fathers day after being ill since the beginning of Feb. Vacation isn't till April 2013, but you're right, I could use one now.

I am bored because I've been very ill since Tues. Severe flu like virus but I tested negative for flu. Now we fear it's morphing into pneumonia. Yuck. Not the way to take time off work or start Chanukah!

Merry Christmas Edna. I hope you have a year filled with bright blessings!

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Bookwormy:

I've deleted my initial response. Sorry it was disrespectful.

I don't understand your need to keep repeating yourself. I read you the first several times. Plus, you're the one that complained that I had repeated myself once after you had done so. Are you evangelizing or something, & I'm too clueless to pick up on it?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Wait, have you mentioned before that you believe in Jesus as the reason...? Indeed you have! Flying Guacamole Batman! She repeated herself too! First even! Your point?

You didn't address your lack of humor. I'm sorry you didn't get it. I didn't mean for that to happen. I thought you'd get it. I honestly forget not everyone knows Jewish history, especially Christians. Jesus was Jewish, so I assume, but we know where assuming gets us.

I'm surprised you didn't know all that, but it is easier when you are Christian.  You seem to like making digs..so I will say this one more time.. Jesus "is" the reason for the season for Christians.... I don't practice Judaism..  I follow the second Covenant since Jesus was the final sacrifice..

You're obviously bored.. I"m waiting for the ink to dry on my Christmas cards to finish stamping..  Like I said, "have' a wonderful vacation..and sorry to hear about your dad..

Sorry to hear that....take care of yourself.. and "back at ya".. : )

Bookwormy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Ah...maybe Jon Stewart would pay me big bucks for that joke! I see him using it much more that Bill M.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You can say what you want, and I can respond. You're the one all defensive about a joke that was flatout funny. If you didn't understand it, you can ask. It's how we ALL learn. And it's a good thing.

christmas tree

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Face it: you had no idea what she was talking about. You funny.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Yes..and you are the Queen of ignorant..

No I didn't..  Gosh I wish I knew what we can or can't say before getting kicked off.. Will have to go over the rules..

Honestly Kate..I doubt even if Bill Mahrer  (sp) said "I thought oil is the reason for the seaon" the crowd would get it..but oh well as long as you got it..that's all that matters..  Have a giggle..it's saturday..a day to do things and get ready for the upcoming holidays or not..your choice.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Ah...maybe Jon Stewart would pay me big bucks for that joke! I see him using it much more that Bill M.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You can say what you want, and I can respond. You're the one all defensive about a joke that was flatout funny. If you didn't understand it, you can ask. It's how we ALL learn. And it's a good thing.

christmas tree

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

No I didn't..  Gosh I wish I knew what we can or can't say before getting kicked off.. Will have to go over the rules..

Honestly Kate..I doubt even if Bill Mahrer  (sp) said "I thought oil is the reason for the seaon" the crowd would get it..but oh well as long as you got it..that's all that matters..  Have a giggle..it's saturday..a day to do things and get ready for the upcoming holidays or not..your choice.

Is he Jewish? Or just a comedian " trying" to be funny..

cbk_mom3
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

The. Phrase. "Politically Correct", and all it entails.

Bookwormy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Jon Stewart is definitely Jewish, & funny the few times I've heard him. I don't have cable or even watch TV, other than PBS usually. News I get from NPR & PRI radio.

Is Bill M Jewish? I don't think so, but what do I know?

Adam Sandler is, but he's way overdone Chanukah already & isn't on TV anymore.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

christmas tree

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Friday
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Jon Stewart is definitely Jewish, & funny the few times I've heard him. I don't have cable or even watch TV, other than PBS usually. News I get from NPR & PRI radio.

Is Bill M Jewish? I don't think so, but what do I know?

Adam Sandler is, but he's way overdone Chanukah already & isn't on TV anymore.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

christmas tree

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Bill Maher is 1/2 Jewish, his mom is Jewish and Dad was Irish Catholic.

Jon Stewart's full name is Jon Stuart Leibowitz, pretty Jewish and very smart and funny.

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Christians aren't the ones suing municipalities to have crosses removed, desecrating nativities, and fighting to have 'In God We Trust' removed from our currency.

Imagine if they tried to pull similar stunts in Israel....screeching about menorahs insulting their delicate sensibilities. LOL I bet you'd be singing a different tune.

wink mini

Quoting Bookwormy:

Newsflash! The world doesn't revolve around you, the super-majority! The whiny majority needs to stop moaning about everything. Deal with it.

Quoting imamomzilla:

How is your "right" to celebrate (*insert whatever it is you worship-spaghetti creatures, unicorns, hobbits, trolls, etc*) being infringed upon? Who is stopping you from enjoying the usual sights and sounds?

You ever hear of traditions? Look, the majority of people find comfort in familiar things and memories.

The whiny minority needs to stop moaning about everything. News flash! The universe doesn't revolve around YOU (general you). Deal with it.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Bookwormy:

The difference is that minorities are no longer satisfied to simply blend in to the majority, to finally have equal rights, or to allow the Establishment Clause to be violated. The minority now wants to celebrate diversity, which is certainly its right in the US, to make sure the Constitution is upheld, even the Establishment Clause, etc. Of course, you are in the majority, but I'm unclear what you are defending. No one will take away your being the majority in the US, though in the world, I think you aren't any longer. Diversity is here to stay, however. It is the US way now, as uncomfortable as that may be for you. Do you mean Christmas in the Square? Well, that may or may not survive. I know not. Again, may you find peace on this obviously rocky path of change.

Quoting Debrowsky:

No I was not inferring you to be an immigrant, but simply making a point of that for all those who come here from other countries.  melting pot, tossed salad, it all means the same thing in this discussion.  It's a merging and mixing together of people.  Our cities and towns are still predominantly filled with churches of the Christian religion.  Homes and businesses still honor this traditional holiday of Dec. 25 as Jesus birth.  It is undeniable to recognize this everywhere.  So yes, I think it quite normal and reasonable for us in the majority to hold onto our traditions and heritage, just as any other people of their own countries do when you live there.   You bet I will stand up and defend it, and hopefully my children and grandchildren will do the same.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm not an immigrant to the US. I'm not sure if you were implying that or not.

I don't believe that we're a melting pot. I think that you live with the myth that we are still a melting pot and will simply fall in line with the majority. In actuality for many years now we've been experiencing a great paradigm shift from melting pot to tossed salad. Simple equality isn't good enough any longer. Celebrating our unique diversity is where its at now. Change is always very difficult. And this is a *huge* change. I empathize with your great discomfort & hope you can find peace on your path during this ongoing but definite transition.

Quoting Debrowsky:

And exactly how do you know what I do or not say to people in public?  Putting aside your erroneous assumptions of me, I would like to add that as far back as I can remember, the public market square has always decked itself out for the honoring of Dec. 25, a national day commemorating the birth of Christ.  The acceptable and common practice has always been to wish someone a Merry Christmas because of the affore mentioned practice. 
Being born and raised in America, one knows this.  Immigrating here from a country who doesn't know of America's Christian heritage, may understandably be uncomfortable, but should be respective of our historical Christian Heritage, evidenced in our songs, holidays, currency, etc., and in my opinion should not insist on the country to change it's cultural practices for their sake.  I lived in Japan for almost 4 years, and I didn't attempt to stop them from their public displays of beliefs and practices associated with their religions.   In fact, if one traveled around the military bases, the local residents would adorn their stores with Christmas decorations and greet us with Merry Christmas- which is more than what I hear now in my own country.   This is sad.

You can have your opinion that because we are a melting pot of diverse religions at this point, we should neutralize and change our heritage.   I stand with those who wish to keep our Christian Heritage strong, as it still identifies the majority of the people.  Seems quite reasonable to me.   I, personally am not offended at someone saying Happy Holidays to me, one bit.   But I am troubled when anti-Chritmasers wish to remove and silence the majority of our culture. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

So it *is* offensive to unknowingly tell a Christian Happy Holy Days, but it *isn't* offensive to unknowingly tell a non-Christian Merry Birth of My, but Not Your, G-d? And there's critical thinking displayed here how? Looks like hypocricy at best to me!

If I know you're Christian, I say Merry Christmas. If you know I'm Jewish I expext you to say Happy Chanukah, or Hanukkah.

Quoting Debrowsky:

by removing Christmas trees and poo-pooing the use of Merry Christmas when it is deliberatly used for
CHRISTMAS - the birth of Jesus.   gee, there seems to be a circle of thought here that isn't being caught.

Perhaps this belongs over on the thread where critical thinking is missing with liberals.  oh, my bad.

Quoting blues_pagan:

How is it offensive to tell someone Happy Holidays?  Especially if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mikiemom:

The thing I can't stand is when someone tries to say they hate being politically correct as an excuse to be an asshole. Such as is the case as screaming Merry Christmas to someone who tells you happy holidays. Or using racial slurs and calling it funny.

ya because in that high and mighty quest to be so politically correct, you stomp all over common sense and rational and offend people anyway.   whoopee!

Exactly. The minority wants the same rights and acceptance as the majority and many in the majority seem to think the minority should shut up, stay in the closet and be happy we are allowed to exist here at all. Anything that's not directly related to or endorsing Christmas is seen as this so called war on Christmas. That's what happens when one group is so privileged for so long they see anything not supporting that privilege as an attack.

poetrypoem.com

Bookwormy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I would *never* live in a theocracy, which Israel is. My views on Israel might surprise you. Trust me, they don't have an Establishment Clause! Israel does not even have true freedom of Jewish practice! If you want to live in a Christian theocracy, you'll need to move.

It sure wasn't athiests who vandelized their stuff in Santa Monica. If the athiests' stuff had been tolerated, the city wouldn't have shut down the original program. SMH.

Are crosses religious? If so, they really don't belong on government property. The lawsuits are therefore just. Vandelism is *never* just or acceptable.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Christians aren't the ones suing municipalities to have crosses removed, desecrating nativities, and fighting to have 'In God We Trust' removed from our currency.

Imagine if they tried to pull similar stunts in Israel....screeching about menorahs insulting their delicate sensibilities. LOL I bet you'd be singing a different tune.

wink mini

Quoting Bookwormy:

Newsflash! The world doesn't revolve around you, the super-majority! The whiny majority needs to stop moaning about everything. Deal with it.

Quoting imamomzilla:

How is your "right" to celebrate (*insert whatever it is you worship-spaghetti creatures, unicorns, hobbits, trolls, etc*) being infringed upon? Who is stopping you from enjoying the usual sights and sounds?

You ever hear of traditions? Look, the majority of people find comfort in familiar things and memories.

The whiny minority needs to stop moaning about everything. News flash! The universe doesn't revolve around YOU (general you). Deal with it.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Bookwormy:

The difference is that minorities are no longer satisfied to simply blend in to the majority, to finally have equal rights, or to allow the Establishment Clause to be violated. The minority now wants to celebrate diversity, which is certainly its right in the US, to make sure the Constitution is upheld, even the Establishment Clause, etc. Of course, you are in the majority, but I'm unclear what you are defending. No one will take away your being the majority in the US, though in the world, I think you aren't any longer. Diversity is here to stay, however. It is the US way now, as uncomfortable as that may be for you. Do you mean Christmas in the Square? Well, that may or may not survive. I know not. Again, may you find peace on this obviously rocky path of change.

Quoting Debrowsky:

No I was not inferring you to be an immigrant, but simply making a point of that for all those who come here from other countries.  melting pot, tossed salad, it all means the same thing in this discussion.  It's a merging and mixing together of people.  Our cities and towns are still predominantly filled with churches of the Christian religion.  Homes and businesses still honor this traditional holiday of Dec. 25 as Jesus birth.  It is undeniable to recognize this everywhere.  So yes, I think it quite normal and reasonable for us in the majority to hold onto our traditions and heritage, just as any other people of their own countries do when you live there.   You bet I will stand up and defend it, and hopefully my children and grandchildren will do the same.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I don't believe that we're a melting pot. I think that you live with the myth that we are still a melting pot and will simply fall in line with the majority. In actuality for many years now we've been experiencing a great paradigm shift from melting pot to tossed salad. Simple equality isn't good enough any longer. Celebrating our unique diversity is where its at now. Change is always very difficult. And this is a *huge* change. I empathize with your great discomfort & hope you can find peace on your path during this ongoing but definite transition.

Quoting Debrowsky:

And exactly how do you know what I do or not say to people in public?  Putting aside your erroneous assumptions of me, I would like to add that as far back as I can remember, the public market square has always decked itself out for the honoring of Dec. 25, a national day commemorating the birth of Christ.  The acceptable and common practice has always been to wish someone a Merry Christmas because of the affore mentioned practice. 
Being born and raised in America, one knows this.  Immigrating here from a country who doesn't know of America's Christian heritage, may understandably be uncomfortable, but should be respective of our historical Christian Heritage, evidenced in our songs, holidays, currency, etc., and in my opinion should not insist on the country to change it's cultural practices for their sake.  I lived in Japan for almost 4 years, and I didn't attempt to stop them from their public displays of beliefs and practices associated with their religions.   In fact, if one traveled around the military bases, the local residents would adorn their stores with Christmas decorations and greet us with Merry Christmas- which is more than what I hear now in my own country.   This is sad.

You can have your opinion that because we are a melting pot of diverse religions at this point, we should neutralize and change our heritage.   I stand with those who wish to keep our Christian Heritage strong, as it still identifies the majority of the people.  Seems quite reasonable to me.   I, personally am not offended at someone saying Happy Holidays to me, one bit.   But I am troubled when anti-Chritmasers wish to remove and silence the majority of our culture. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

So it *is* offensive to unknowingly tell a Christian Happy Holy Days, but it *isn't* offensive to unknowingly tell a non-Christian Merry Birth of My, but Not Your, G-d? And there's critical thinking displayed here how? Looks like hypocricy at best to me!

If I know you're Christian, I say Merry Christmas. If you know I'm Jewish I expext you to say Happy Chanukah, or Hanukkah.

Quoting Debrowsky:

by removing Christmas trees and poo-pooing the use of Merry Christmas when it is deliberatly used for
CHRISTMAS - the birth of Jesus.   gee, there seems to be a circle of thought here that isn't being caught.

Perhaps this belongs over on the thread where critical thinking is missing with liberals.  oh, my bad.

Quoting blues_pagan:

How is it offensive to tell someone Happy Holidays?  Especially if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mikiemom:

The thing I can't stand is when someone tries to say they hate being politically correct as an excuse to be an asshole. Such as is the case as screaming Merry Christmas to someone who tells you happy holidays. Or using racial slurs and calling it funny.

ya because in that high and mighty quest to be so politically correct, you stomp all over common sense and rational and offend people anyway.   whoopee!

Exactly. The minority wants the same rights and acceptance as the majority and many in the majority seem to think the minority should shut up, stay in the closet and be happy we are allowed to exist here at all. Anything that's not directly related to or endorsing Christmas is seen as this so called war on Christmas. That's what happens when one group is so privileged for so long they see anything not supporting that privilege as an attack.

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I bet I could guess what your "views" are on Israel.....Hollywood is filled with those self-loathing types.

A cross on a water towerisn't hurting anyone. It hasn't for 30+ years and it never will. Do we know who did the vandalizing in SM? Were there any arrests? Don't speculate. Libs have a history of creating havoc in an attempt to blame their opponents. Alinsky tactics. Look it up.

Whiny atheists are the ones who need to move.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I would *never* live in a theocracy, which Israel is. My views on Israel might surprise you. Trust me, they don't have an Establishment Clause! Israel does not even have true freedom of Jewish practice! If you want to live in a Christian theocracy, you'll need to move.

It sure wasn't athiests who vandelized their stuff in Santa Monica. If the athiests' stuff had been tolerated, the city wouldn't have shut down the original program. SMH.

Are crosses religious? If so, they really don't belong on government property. The lawsuits are therefore just. Vandelism is *never* just or acceptable.

Quoting imamomzilla:

wink mini

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mikiemom:

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". ~Ronald Reagan

Bookwormy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Don't believe Hollywood's description of self-loathing. You are bordering on anti-semitism.

Just because something happens for 30+ years doesn't make it right. How long until women had the vote? It may not have hurt anyone, especially men. Quotas on Jews in universities didn't hurt most people in the US. Even if it hurts no one, if it violates the Establishment Clause, it isn't OK. Evem if we were silent for 30 years. The athiests needn't move. The Constitution protects against that.

I empathize that we were all so quiet for so long & just so relieved when crosses didn't get burned in our yards, or worse, that this paradigm shift must be incredibly uncomfortable. But it's still happening. I hope you can find peace on your path to this great & glorious change.

Good night.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Oh, I bet I could guess what your "views" are on Israel.....Hollywood is filled with those self-loathing types.

A cross on a water towerisn't hurting anyone. It hasn't for 30+ years and it never will. Do we know who did the vandalizing in SM? Were there any arrests? Don't speculate. Libs have a history of creating havoc in an attempt to blame their opponents. Alinsky tactics. Look it up.

Whiny atheists are the ones who need to move.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting imamomzilla:

wink mini

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting mikiemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)