Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Auto Zone employee is fired for saving managers life ?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think about this ? Should McLean have been fired or not ?

Options:

Yes, fire him

No, he should not have been fired

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/2012/12/04/autozone-employee-fired-after-thwarting-robbery-and-saving-managers-life/

autozone

AutoZone employee fired after thwarting robbery and saving manager’s life

Former AutoZone employee Devin McLean just went ON THE RECORD at 10pm/ET about the night he turned the tables on an armed robber. McLean and his manager were getting ready to close an Virginia AutoZone shop when a gunman burst in. While the suspect forced the manager to open the safe, McLean sneaked out and grabbed a gun from his truck. He returned to the store, scared the robber off with the gun and saved his manager’s life. But corporate brass apparently wasn’t pleased…McLean said the company fired him for violating their gun policy.

What do you think about McLean’s story? Should he have been fired or not? Post your thoughts.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So corperate thinks it would have been better if the manager had been killed? Wonder what he,his family and other employees throughout the chain think of that?

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Shortly after the incident, a Facebook group called "Boycott Autozone in support of Devin Mclean" popped up, asking community members to call AutoZone in support of McClean. Another campaign against AutoZone that calls for the company to publicly apologize, change its policy and reinstate McClean was also posted on a boycott site.

An Autozone representative told a local news channel that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees bringing weapons into their stores.

This isn't the first time an employee has been fired for intervening in a robbery. In 2011, four Walmart employees were terminated after they disarmed and subdued a gun-toting assailant. Walmart policy directs employees to "disengage" and "withdraw" when a weapon is drawn.

PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Thanks for the info...........we have a Auto Zone in town. Don't really go too often because theres plenty of other auto stores around. I just may give them a phone call tomorrow.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Shortly after the incident, a Facebook group called "Boycott Autozone in support of Devin Mclean" popped up, asking community members to call AutoZone in support of McClean. Another campaign against AutoZone that calls for the company to publicly apologize, change its policy and reinstate McClean was also posted on a boycott site.

An Autozone representative told a local news channel that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees bringing weapons into their stores.

This isn't the first time an employee has been fired for intervening in a robbery. In 2011, four Walmart employees were terminated after they disarmed and subdued a gun-toting assailant. Walmart policy directs employees to "disengage" and "withdraw" when a weapon is drawn.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

If he knowingly violated corp policy he should have been fired. We don't know that he saved the managers life and most companies discourage employees from confronting or trying to stop thieves. I've read of 7-11 type employees being fired for not cooperating fully with robbers.

Sucks but that's how it is.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

newmommy430
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM
You're supposed to give the cooperate fully with the robber and give them all the cash. Luckily, when he came in with the gun, the robber didn't start shooting. He could've made it worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know the specifics, but he sounds like a hero to me. I hope another company hires him and offers him more $$.

Rhodin
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

He probably didn't know.  Back when I worked retail, much of the training focused on increasing sales and one really painfully bad video about sexual harassment.  Robbery that wasn't employees palming merchandise wasn't discussed.

Quoting Friday:

If he knowingly violated corp policy he should have been fired. We don't know that he saved the managers life and most companies discourage employees from confronting or trying to stop thieves. I've read of 7-11 type employees being fired for not cooperating fully with robbers.

Sucks but that's how it is.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It sucks, but the company has to follow its own rules, otherwise there would be problems for the company down the road.  They have these rules for their own protection from lawsuits.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I don't think so but I'm betting he wont have a hard time getting hired somewhere else.. He sounds like a loyal person.. Next time.. someone caught in the same situation at AutoZone..just may slip out and not come back. leaving the manager on their own.

I don't think I would want to work with that kind of attitude. We usually go with the "customer" is usually right...to try and work things out if something goes wrong..but when it comes to "life or death"...you have GOT to be kidding.. I'll take life any day.  Even in countries where guns are banned..criminals "always" find one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)