Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

California teachers union video features ‘rich’ urinating on the ‘poor’

Posted by   + Show Post

SACRAMENTO – A new video produced by the California Federation of Teachers – which, if you live the broke state of CA~ could be playing in your child’s classroom...

http://www.cft.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwg4DB-EeEA&sns=em

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Replies (21-26):
imamomzilla
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM

What about the computer teacher in Long Beach that had the kids depict the White House "under water"? I'm curious to see if you will defend that act.

Quoting rccmom:

No, I'm not. Teachers are capable of creating presentations for adults also. Chances are since it was made by the union, it was meant as a politcal message for other union members, not the children in classes, though I could see it being discussed by a high school govt class. 

Quoting jcrew6:

You are forgetting WHO made the cartoon. 

Quoting rccmom:

Not all animated creations are meant for children.

Quoting jcrew6:

California teachers make a cartoon.  But, it wasn't meant for children.  Hrmmm.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

How do you know it wasn't shown to children? It's a cartoon who else do you think it would be shown/targeted to? Oh yep besides simple minded people.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

A biased joke put together with union dues?  By educators?  Immature and classless.  Not who I would want educating my kids. 

Quoting rccmom:

The video won't play. I am assuming it is in reference to the "Trickle Down Theory." That has been a joke now for a while.

It wasn't shown to children. I can't see it though cause it won't play on my computer. It does kind of show how well trickle down economics works though.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I think there's a slight difference between discussing biased political media and forcing children to draw pictures of the president drowning.

Quoting imamomzilla:

What about the computer teacher in Long Beach that had the kids depict the White House "under water"? I'm curious to see if you will defend that act.

Quoting rccmom:

No, I'm not. Teachers are capable of creating presentations for adults also. Chances are since it was made by the union, it was meant as a politcal message for other union members, not the children in classes, though I could see it being discussed by a high school govt class. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

How do you know it wasn't shown to children? It's a cartoon who else do you think it would be shown/targeted to? Oh yep besides simple minded people.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

A biased joke put together with union dues?  By educators?  Immature and classless.  Not who I would want educating my kids. 

Quoting rccmom:

The video won't play. I am assuming it is in reference to the "Trickle Down Theory." That has been a joke now for a while.

It wasn't shown to children. I can't see it though cause it won't play on my computer. It does kind of show how well trickle down economics works though.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Why? "Art" is subjective...no?

And FTR they didn't "draw" them. It was a computer class.

Quoting Erinelizz:

I think there's a slight difference between discussing biased political media and forcing children to draw pictures of the president drowning.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Art is subjective because a form of personal expression; a way to make a statement. Forcing children to "create a computer image" of a specific scene involving a drowning man is not exactly allowing them freedom of expression.

Studying art/media is different. The teacher could have shown them an image of Obama drowning and asked them to discuss it. Still disturbing, but quite different.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Why? "Art" is subjective...no?

And FTR they didn't "draw" them. It was a computer class.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rccmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I consider the two things apples and oranges. Let me explain. I am making an assumption in this thread that the cartoon was not shown to children. It was made by adults, for adults, to satarize a familiar conservative belief that wealth trickles down, when we all know what really trickles down. It was a political statement.

Now the other thread deals with a teacher telling children, not sure of their age, that they have to represent the WH underwater and people drowning. That involves the children actually being complicit in the creation of the video, and the imagery is not good for children to be forced into.

Now had that thread been a teacher created a video of the WH underwater and the inhabitents drowning, thus illustrating a  political point that the country is drowning in a sea of debt, and shown only to adults as a political statement, it would be similiar to the Trickle Down Theory cartoon.  Maybe not in the best taste, but making a political point nonetheless.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting rccmom:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

All I know is that anything from any of the Cal teachers unions should be ignored.

They are the biggest contributor to the huge decline in the CA public school system.  Google Mark Burnt and look on why they could not fire him even though he gave school kids semen laced cookies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN