Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Real Root of Atheists' Anti-Christmas Rage

Posted by   + Show Post

Why do some atheists embarrass themselves year after year trying to eradicate Christmas from American culture? Why do they make themselves societal hemorrhoids during this hallowed season? Is it because they are crusaders for equality, secularism’s saviors and humanism’s heroes? I’m sure that’s what they tell themselves when they’re pouting on their couches all alone on Christmas Eve after every single one of their friends has dumped them for being a rabid jackass.

I believe, however—and I could be wrong—that the reason some rage against the machine is that they hate God and love their sin, and bringing up Jesus in December is not the way they wanted to finish off the year. Indeed, Christ really rains on their parade … and they love their parade.

Christmas, if you really get down to the brass tacks of it, isn’t about reindeer, elves, iPhones or Lindsay Lohan punching a gypsy, but about mankind’s sin problem and what God did to remedy it by sending His Son.

I know the chief facet most people focus on regarding Christ’s birth has been the peace on earth and good will toward men stuff, but if you dig around in the gospels a tad you’ll quickly see that the “peace on earth” thing is an ancillary perk to the main reason the second person of the godhead donned an earth suit and decided to hang out with us dunderheads. The core cause that necessitated Jesus’ incarnation was our jacked up carnality. Yep, Hambone, it was our sin. There, I said it. Sin. Yours, mine and ours.

Transgression was the reason for the season.

This is why El Diablo didn’t pass out cigars at Jesus’ birth. Happy he was not that the Son was not only going to address our sins but He was going to eternally and temporally salvage those who believe from sin’s fetid effects. This is why slewfoot energized Herod to put a hit out on the Nazarene when He was a wee little baby and why Satan’s demon inspired ilk are anti-Christmas to this day. Jesus’ birth equated to Satan’s demise.

This is not good news to some, though. Indeed, many atheists are up front about it and don’t want to leave their wantonness. As Jesus Himself said, they prefer darkness to light and don’t like to be reminded of their personal accountability for their sin—and thus their need for salvation—and therefore we should not expect them to be stoked about Jesus’ birthday party.

This is easy math, folks: A person who has no remorse and thus no desire to repent from their sins is probably not going to be a big advocate for the celebration of the person who reminds them they’re wrong and calls them to repent and believe.

Call me goofy, but I’m forever grateful for Jesus’ birth, His attesting miracles, His sacrificial death, burial and resurrection. While most atheists this Christmas will be drinking to forget, I will, as Martin Luther said, drink to remember the One who was and is and is to come.

http:/ / townhall. com/columnists/douggiles/2012/12/02/the_real_root_of_atheists_antichristmas_rage/page/full/

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
Paperfishies
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm an atheist and I don't have any problems with Christmas. I love presents!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My husband does NOT celebrate Christmas. He believes it is an evil, pagan holiday. He hates Christmas and has been quite hostile to me the times I try to celebrate it. Some years fight it and celebrate it anyway full force and other years the fighting isn't worth it to me. Because he doesn't celebrate Christmas, I have had to really figure out what traditions of the holidays are important to me and why. Ultimately, I enjoy the holidays because Christmas was a holiday my family celebrated while I was growing up. It was the one time of year everyone got together (well, used to, not so much anymore). I have tried to give it up, trying to focus instead on my daughter's birthday but it has too much meaning for me to give it up entirely. There are a lot of things I don't do because I am not a Christian celebrating the holiday. I don't put up a nativity scene; I don't keep angels. I try to focus more on the season of winter. I like snowflakes and lights and I do like having a Christmas tree because we always had a tree when I was growing up and I have a lot of memories from my childhood of Christmas trees. We ALWAYS had a Christmas tree up, no matter what. And I still hold very dearly the last Christmas I had with my parents, the first Christmas I was living in my own place. It is a memory I will always cherish. So yes, I do enjoy the holiday, as I said, because it is meaningful to me. I don't always get to celebrate it how I want to though and I have to deal with my husband when I do try to celebrate it the way I want to.

My husband is part of a church called The United Church of God. It is an offshoot of a church that went by the name Worldwide Church of God. You can google The Plain Truth About Christmas which will give you a pamphlet on why Christians should do everything possible to avoid the holiday because of it's incredibly evil origins. I read it and tried very hard to understand how my husband felt about it but it only left me feeling resentful.

The holy days he follows that stresses me out is called the Feast of Tabernacles. Mainstream Christians do not celebrate this. It's a Biblical holiday similar to the Jewish Sukot holiday. It's a week long. You are supposed to go elsewhere for this, leaving your home for a week. This means having to take time off of work for it. It also means setting aside 10% of your income for it and technically, you're supposed to spend the entire 10% during that week that you saved up. So yes, I do tend to find that time very stressful especially since it is a religious obligation for my husband. He feels he HAS to do this. And, because my husband wasn't able to save up as much as he wanted to for this, he borrowed money and now we're struggling financially even though it's been two months now since we went (I wasn't even planning to go originally but he rented a place with two rooms so I went down for part of the time).

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

No, I haven't met your husband or those that also follow his beliefs. Sure.....they're are many judgemental people that call themselves Christians.........we all sin and fall short.  Why do they hate Christmas ? 

You say you are an athiest yet celebrate Christmas ?  Because your husband ?  Do you enjoy celebrating ?  Why is your husband's celebrating stressful to you ?

If I may.....what is your husband's faith ?

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

WOW, seriously? To that I say you haven't met my husband or others who follow his beliefs. They are some of the most negative and judgmental Christians I have EVER met and they HATE Christmas.

I'm not at all a miserable shopper. I know better than to allow myself to be swept into the insanity. I shop because I want to, not because I have to. I enjoy getting things for my children. When I do anything as far as Christmas goes, it's simple, not overboard. I would do this whether I was an atheist or a Christian. I watched my mother go overboard for years at Christmastime then end up in psych in January because of it so I know better. The Christmas traditions I keep are the ones that are meaningful to ME and I celebrate Christmas as a family tradition, not as a religious requirement (which is why I find my husband's week long holy deal stressful).

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Interesting.......! thank you for the post : )

After reading this I had a thought and just have to wonder.......are the miserable shoppers at Walmart, Target and any other Department Store and Mall athiest ?  I mean Christmas is a time of sharing peace and love.  I just love Christmas time..........at home anyway.  I shop year round for Christmas.....not only to save some $$ but mainly to avoid mean miserable shoppers that are rude and inconsiderate of those around them. Most athiest I've ever known thru this site and irl are just plain unhappy people .....and it shows.

Janeen

Rational, freethinking, atheist and mom to two hurricanes: Natalie (6) and Isabelle (2).

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The bible in and of itself is a problem with the many contradictions it contains. How can people possibly even know what is or is not sin when the bible isn't always 100% clear on that? I mean, that is why there are so many different religions out there, especially religions that follow the bible!

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

I don't think the problem is "religion" the problem is people. People sin..........that's why People need the Lord.

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Uh...I hate to say this but that's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Hello, the inquisition? The crusades? The wars in Ireland? I think you miss the point as far as the problem with religion goes. The problem is that people who follow a religion cannot just keep it to themselves. They have to force it on everyone else. And this idea that it's the atheists that are doing is um kind of crazy because there's nothing to force on people! Even the bible talks of god telling his people to kill those who don't believe in him. The bible talks numerous times of full-blown genicide.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

What concerns me more than this discussion that you and I are having, is the Religious persecution that is going on as we write. all over the world.

It is horrendous what my Christian brothers and sister have to endure at the hands of others.....

Veronica

Janeen

Rational, freethinking, atheist and mom to two hurricanes: Natalie (6) and Isabelle (2).

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Their is a group of them in cali near me that has threatened ever house with christams light. They are planning drive by's . It is kinda scary. This is the first time that these threats are going out and the cops dont know what to do.
So yeah these groups are full of hate
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, so you're saying that there is a group of atheists that are planning drive by shootings at houses with Christmas lights. Did I get that right? Here's the problem with lumping an entire group of people with a few bad apples, it's not accurate. Saying that would be like judging all Christians because of people like those in the Westboro church. Judge a person by his/her character, not on the group he/she is in.

There will ALWAYS be bad people out there and people full of hate. Some of those people believe in a deity and some don't.

Quoting pj2becca21:

Their is a group of them in cali near me that has threatened ever house with christams light. They are planning drive by's . It is kinda scary. This is the first time that these threats are going out and the cops dont know what to do.

Janeen

VeronicaTex
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe you are missing my point besides my suggestion.

Why talk about history and what cannot be changed?

As I alluded to, Christians in today's world are suffering persecution at the hands of non-Christians.

I would prefer to discuss the injustice of that. 

That to me is the real problem here.

Since it involves our fellow man, it is a topic that should concern you as an atheist and me as a Roman Catholic alike.

Are there points we could agree on?

Veronica

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Uh...I hate to say this but that's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Hello, the inquisition? The crusades? The wars in Ireland? I think you miss the point as far as the problem with religion goes. The problem is that people who follow a religion cannot just keep it to themselves. They have to force it on everyone else. And this idea that it's the atheists that are doing is um kind of crazy because there's nothing to force on people! Even the bible talks of god telling his people to kill those who don't believe in him. The bible talks numerous times of full-blown genicide.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

What concerns me more than this discussion that you and I are having, is the Religious persecution that is going on as we write. all over the world.

It is horrendous what my Christian brothers and sister have to endure at the hands of others.....

Veronica

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

I'm not trying to get you to change your religious beliefs but am merely pointing out a major concern with religion as a whole. It's one thing to have religious beliefs, it's another thing entirely to try to force them on others. Consider yourself fortunate that you were born in a time and place where your religious beliefs are accepted. That has not always been the case. Religious persecution was a major reason people came to this country to begin with.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Simply put about the "interesting read":  Despite the world statistics, I am Catholic forever.

My salvation is my own, based on a very deep, very meaningful, very timely relationship with God.

It began when I was baptized and evolved.

As I review my life, all was meant to happen as it did.

Only I can know that...

Veroniica

Friday
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pj2becca21:

Where? I'm in Cali and haven't heard of any such thing.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM

War is often due to religion, both in history AND now. It's not just Christians who suffer persecution but also non-Christians. Genocide and persecution is not right no matter who is doing it. It all needs to stop. That is why it was put into the constitution that no national religion was to be established. Our founding fathers saw what that did in other countries and wanted to avoid that. Freedom of religion protects you and me BOTH.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I believe you are missing my point besides my suggestion.

Why talk about history and what cannot be changed?

As I alluded to, Christians in today's world are suffering persecution at the hands of non-Christians.

I would prefer to discuss the injustice of that. 

That to me is the real problem here.

Since it involves our fellow man, it is a topic that should concern you as an atheist and me as a Roman Catholic alike.

Are there points we could agree on?

Veronica

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

I'm not trying to get you to change your religious beliefs but am merely pointing out a major concern with religion as a whole. It's one thing to have religious beliefs, it's another thing entirely to try to force them on others. Consider yourself fortunate that you were born in a time and place where your religious beliefs are accepted. That has not always been the case. Religious persecution was a major reason people came to this country to begin with.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Simply put about the "interesting read":  Despite the world statistics, I am Catholic forever.

My salvation is my own, based on a very deep, very meaningful, very timely relationship with God.

It began when I was baptized and evolved.

As I review my life, all was meant to happen as it did.

Only I can know that...

Veroniica

Janeen

PeeperSqueak
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Whoa !  thanks for your reply..........I'm not familiar with your husbands faith and will google it tomorrow when I have a chance.  I'm tired and stressed out now and getting to bed. My daughter called...(lives in Hawaii) and a lot is going on with her : ( 

I'm sorry Christmas is stressing for you and it really need not be that way.  I used to get real stressed out at Christmas time....but since I became a Christian it's my very favorite. 

It was nice communicating with you and hope you have a goodnight.

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

My husband does NOT celebrate Christmas. He believes it is an evil, pagan holiday. He hates Christmas and has been quite hostile to me the times I try to celebrate it. Some years fight it and celebrate it anyway full force and other years the fighting isn't worth it to me. Because he doesn't celebrate Christmas, I have had to really figure out what traditions of the holidays are important to me and why. Ultimately, I enjoy the holidays because Christmas was a holiday my family celebrated while I was growing up. It was the one time of year everyone got together (well, used to, not so much anymore). I have tried to give it up, trying to focus instead on my daughter's birthday but it has too much meaning for me to give it up entirely. There are a lot of things I don't do because I am not a Christian celebrating the holiday. I don't put up a nativity scene; I don't keep angels. I try to focus more on the season of winter. I like snowflakes and lights and I do like having a Christmas tree because we always had a tree when I was growing up and I have a lot of memories from my childhood of Christmas trees. We ALWAYS had a Christmas tree up, no matter what. And I still hold very dearly the last Christmas I had with my parents, the first Christmas I was living in my own place. It is a memory I will always cherish. So yes, I do enjoy the holiday, as I said, because it is meaningful to me. I don't always get to celebrate it how I want to though and I have to deal with my husband when I do try to celebrate it the way I want to.

My husband is part of a church called The United Church of God. It is an offshoot of a church that went by the name Worldwide Church of God. You can google The Plain Truth About Christmas which will give you a pamphlet on why Christians should do everything possible to avoid the holiday because of it's incredibly evil origins. I read it and tried very hard to understand how my husband felt about it but it only left me feeling resentful.

The holy days he follows that stresses me out is called the Feast of Tabernacles. Mainstream Christians do not celebrate this. It's a Biblical holiday similar to the Jewish Sukot holiday. It's a week long. You are supposed to go elsewhere for this, leaving your home for a week. This means having to take time off of work for it. It also means setting aside 10% of your income for it and technically, you're supposed to spend the entire 10% during that week that you saved up. So yes, I do tend to find that time very stressful especially since it is a religious obligation for my husband. He feels he HAS to do this. And, because my husband wasn't able to save up as much as he wanted to for this, he borrowed money and now we're struggling financially even though it's been two months now since we went (I wasn't even planning to go originally but he rented a place with two rooms so I went down for part of the time).

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

No, I haven't met your husband or those that also follow his beliefs. Sure.....they're are many judgemental people that call themselves Christians.........we all sin and fall short.  Why do they hate Christmas ? 

You say you are an athiest yet celebrate Christmas ?  Because your husband ?  Do you enjoy celebrating ?  Why is your husband's celebrating stressful to you ?

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

WOW, seriously? To that I say you haven't met my husband or others who follow his beliefs. They are some of the most negative and judgmental Christians I have EVER met and they HATE Christmas.

I'm not at all a miserable shopper. I know better than to allow myself to be swept into the insanity. I shop because I want to, not because I have to. I enjoy getting things for my children. When I do anything as far as Christmas goes, it's simple, not overboard. I would do this whether I was an atheist or a Christian. I watched my mother go overboard for years at Christmastime then end up in psych in January because of it so I know better. The Christmas traditions I keep are the ones that are meaningful to ME and I celebrate Christmas as a family tradition, not as a religious requirement (which is why I find my husband's week long holy deal stressful).

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

After reading this I had a thought and just have to wonder.......are the miserable shoppers at Walmart, Target and any other Department Store and Mall athiest ?  I mean Christmas is a time of sharing peace and love.  I just love Christmas time..........at home anyway.  I shop year round for Christmas.....not only to save some $$ but mainly to avoid mean miserable shoppers that are rude and inconsiderate of those around them. Most athiest I've ever known thru this site and irl are just plain unhappy people .....and it shows.

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Christmas in and of itself is not stressful to me. My husband's reaction to my celebrating Christmas is what is stressful. HIS holy days are stressful! LOL There's the one I mentioned, there's another one where all of the leavening has to be removed from the house (for Passover and Days of Unleavened Bread). It's the OBLIGATION that gets stressful, I think. I won't let a holiday be an obligation, something I HAVE to do so I think that makes it less stressful for me. It just would be nice if I could celebrate the holidays I do enjoy in the ways I want to celebrate them without my husband getting all hostile towards me about it.

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Whoa !  thanks for your reply..........I'm not familiar with your husbands faith and will google it tomorrow when I have a chance.  I'm tired and stressed out now and getting to bed. My daughter called...(lives in Hawaii) and a lot is going on with her : ( 

I'm sorry Christmas is stressing for you and it really need not be that way.  I used to get real stressed out at Christmas time....but since I became a Christian it's my very favorite. 

It was nice communicating with you and hope you have a goodnight.

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Janeen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN